Buying a set of Taps & Dies, some Easyouts, and a Helicoil kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Buying a set of Taps & Dies, some Easyouts, and a Helicoil kit

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-12-2014, 04:08 PM   #1
locohosa
1984 CJ7 

Buying a set of Taps & Dies, some Easyouts, and a Helicoil kit

Buying a set of Taps & Dies, some Easyouts, and a Helicoil set for repairing my Tub and Bellhousing.

Well, one of the previous owners of my CHeep did a real number on the thing. When I yanked the trans I found cross threaded and poorly secured bolts on the bellhousing, and I keep finding things like windshield hinges that are poorly secured, or door hinges that are not well secured, or broken off bolts that hold the skid plate up. Basically… I have a LOT of thread repairs in my future!

(Everything is either siezed or its backed off/missing)

Im assuming that most everything that secures to the body, frame and bellhousing are going to be UNC (Course thread imperial) threads, right?

Since I want tools that will last forever (But cannot afford Snap on) are there any suggestions from ya’ll on things to look for on these types of tools?

locohosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #2
Always2L8
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by locohosa View Post
Buying a set of Taps & Dies, some Easyouts, and a Helicoil set for repairing my Tub and Bellhousing.......
I am satisfied with the 76 piece Irwin/Hanson tap and die set I bought a while back. Definitely used the 5/16-18 and 3/8-16 the most, but many of the others have come in handy. The metric comes in handy if you work on something other than your Jeep. A set of machine drills can come in handy to make new holes for tapping.

The important thing is using them properly. Don't rush or force, and back off to clear the shavings regularly. Use a cutting oil also.

This is the set I purchased but paid about half this amount 7 years ago. I'm glad I got the metric but you can always add individual pieces as needed.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Irwin-76-pc-...963063&vxp=mtr

I have a limited set of Craftsmen easy outs. I use them as a last resort. Seems I mostly break them off in the work piece making the job 100 time harder. Frozen bolts = penetrating oil, heat, patience followed by more penetrating oil, heat, patience etc. Heli-Coils I purchase from the ACE hardware as needed.

Good Luck
Always2L8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
iluvcowjuice
1979 CJ7 

Easy outs that last forever? Sounds like easy outs that never get used...

I hate those things
iluvcowjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 07:02 AM   #4
77t18a
1977 CJ5 

I bought the Irwin Hansan 117 piece deluxe set. Got the best deal through Sears on it. Snap On man told me that Erwin Hansan makes the sets for Snap On..IDK if is true or not, but two different ones told me that...t18a
77t18a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

I have had a tap and die set from Irwin Hansen for about 5 years, and it has been used quite a bit. I am very pleased with it. Taps do get dull over time, for some reason especially when chasing rusted threads, so don't hesitate to order a second individual tap for the common Jeep sizes. Having a second tap will also save a LOT of aggravation when/if you break off a tap in the middle of a job.
ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 01:17 AM   #6
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

A spiral gun tap in two or three flute works good on a cordless drill on sizes 10-32 and up, I have used them to do 3/8" threads. Use the starter type (or taper as some call it) for most holes,, this cleans and chases threads nice too. The reason they work better than a hand tap is the chips (curls) get pushed forward so you can do it in one maybe two gos at it. With a hand tap it is back and forth all the way through to clear the chips out of the valley, this binds the hand tap when the chips pack in, risking a break, Broken taps in any hole suck.

These do not do blind holes (or non through) very well, you can start the blind hole with a spiral tap and let them hit bottom, then switch to the bottom tap to get the threads on the bottom of the hole.

When using a drill, get comfortable, loose grip and hold straight, once the tap starts let it float with no pressure un-like we do when drilling. Stop and back out right away, don't take your hand off the drill till it is out, I have learned the hard way, leave it in a then bump it and you break a tap and good clean hole needs to be cleared. LOL

Also, a fluid like Cool Tool or Rapid Tap makes the cut cleaner, easier and prolongs the tap's life.

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 01:52 AM   #7
locohosa
1984 CJ7 

Thank you everyone!

Purchased some tools today, spent more than I had in mind and didnt get the quality I had wanted, but now I can get started fixing some of the previous owners hacked up stuff.
1955 M35A2 6x6
locohosa is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.