JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Buying Paint This Week- (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/buying-paint-week-1334922/)

PROJECT 23 02-27-2012 06:27 AM

Buying Paint This Week-

So, I am going to purchase my paint, sealer, clear, etc this week to get Project 23 nice and shiney and to bring it back to life. I am going with Sherwin Williams as there is a store front within 15 minutes of my house and I have a friend that works for the company so a nice discount will be had :)
The question is, should I go with the original silver or go with something a tad bit darker? My overall plan is to get the blue Rengade decal package for it since I believe it has the Renegade package. Now, I'm no way near a puriest when dealing with Project 23, but I want to make it look close to original.
So with that, what are your thoughts? I know in the end its my decision, but I wanted to get your input........

Matt1981CJ7 02-27-2012 06:33 AM

Steve,

The original paint was a single stage. So you are already deviating from that by using a base/clear, so you might as well buy whatever color you want.

If you were going single stage, I'd say stick with the factory mix.

Matt

243 02-27-2012 06:53 AM

BC/CC or SS has no bearing on whether to choose the factory color no not; I would most definitely choose BC/CC over single stage for any color.

Matt1981CJ7 02-27-2012 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 243 (Post 13133425)
BC/CC or SS has no bearing on whether to choose the factory color no not; I would most definitely choose BC/CC over single stage for any color.

I disagree, but you seem to have missed the point, anyway.

Matt

TxJeeper20 02-27-2012 07:03 AM

how much paint will you think will be needed?

Matt1981CJ7 02-27-2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxJeeper20 (Post 13133456)
how much paint will you think will be needed?

I did my entire CJ, 2 coats interior and exterior, with 1 gallon of color and the appropriate hardener and reducer. My paint was a 4:1:1 mix. That also included painting the hard doors.

I had to buy a little extra to finish the interior of my hardtop.

Matt

PROJECT 23 02-27-2012 07:16 AM

Yep, getting one gallon of paint, sealer and clear. I will not be painting the interior as that is lined with Monstaliner (which will be covered with carpet). Since I'm on the topic of bedliner, I need to remove some which is on the door jam. Anybody have some input on removing this stuff?

Bobs85Reny 02-27-2012 08:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you are going with the blue decal package. I think the lighter silver looks better in my opinion. not my jeep but here is one like what you are talking about.

243 02-27-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 (Post 13133447)
I disagree, but you seem to have missed the point, anyway.

Matt

My point is the factory *color* can be provided in SS and BC/CC, and BC/CC is more forgiving, easier to make corrections and not signficantly more expensive. Since 1982 I have painted with Dupont Centari SS, Dupont Imron SS, Nason SS, TPC Global SS and Dupont DBC BC/CC. I am not an expert but I have some experience with several brands and both types of paint.

What is your point?

PROJECT 23 02-27-2012 09:33 AM

Gents, please step back and count to 10. Getting worked up over what type of paint I'm using isn't worth getting worked up about. I simply asked what shade of silver I should go with.
There are pros and cons to SS and BC paints. Arguments will continue, but it comes down to a personal preference.
So let's take a step back because this is the small **** in life that doesn't matter. Lord knows we need more things in life to worry about.
Better yet, I want you guys to go sit on the steps for 5 minutes. Yes, I just put you in cyber time out!!!

243 02-27-2012 09:40 AM

I am not upset at all and I would like Matt to let me know what I missed ;)

roadhog304 02-27-2012 11:14 AM

keep with the same color that you already have.

PROJECT 23 02-27-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadhog304
keep with the same color that you already have.

The same dull faded blotchy greyish silver? Just kidding, I will probably go with something lighter. Both of the Honda's in my garage are a light silver so I might as well go with the majority :)

PROJECT 23 02-27-2012 03:59 PM

Whelp, I have another update regarding Project 23's paint job. The wifey pooh has been doing research on the overall painting process and she is not a happy camper. To make a long story short, she doesn't want me exposed to paint fumes even if I have a respirator and ventilation. There is no half azzing a make shift spray booth using box fans to get the air flowing.
So with this we are going to fund a paint job which will max out at $1500. So with that I have scheduled to meet with the owner of a shop about 5 minutes from my house. I have met with him in the past to get a quote, but I want to make sure I know what I'm getting for the money. I also want to see what kind of prep work I can do to keep the cost down.
So with that being said, I guess that my trip to the paint shop will not be happening.

Matt1981CJ7 02-27-2012 04:12 PM

Yeah, my wife can be a real buzz-kill, too, at times. I just didn't leave it up for debate about painting my CJ. ;)

So, now you're back to having it painted. Sheesh, this Project 23 has been quite the drama...how many threads have you started about it?

Matt

The time now is 10:44 AM.