Buying a New Battery - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Buying a New Battery

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 03-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Buying a New Battery

Whelp, looks like I get to drop some loot on a new battery as the old one is no longer holding a charge. Going to stop by Auto Zone on the way home from work. Anything I should look for in a battery?

Unread 03-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

I have been plenty happy with my gel batteries...

After putting an Optima in the Jeep (then rolling said jeep, flopping her back over and driving her home) I installed them in every other vehicle I own! Kinda pricey, but worth it in my book!

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Most of us are not very happy with the gel batteries. They don't seem to hold up as well as they used to. Apparently the manufacturer changed hands and the building process changed. "New" means new. It doesn't always mean better.

I prefer the largest that will fit and for me it's a must that it's NOT maintenance free. I WANT to be able to add water if needed. There is a very good argument for going to a tractor supply type store and buying a tractor battery. They seem to have heavier duty plates and more rugged cases. If you don't offroad, this means nothing.

Stereos, winches, etc. pull their power from the battery which is then backfilled by the alternator. So if you have this kind of stuff, the more reserve the better.
Unread 03-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

Hope it's not too late for ya but don't buy an optima. They've been Chinese made for last 4 years. They've also had tons of issues not lasting in the last 4 years. I has a yellow top in mine that's 5 years old and still running strong but I won't put another one in it.

What I switched to for my wife's 777 is a interstate. Went to get a green top but got a different one with 1k cranking amps and 800 CCA. 6 year warranty no questions asked too.
Unread 03-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
BOISERUNNER
1979 CJ7 

I just put a "STARTING/MARINE" deep cycle batt in my jeep. I found my best deal @ our local equal of TRACTOR SUPPLY. Without a winch on yours you may not need the Marine function on 23.
THX Doug
BOISERUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
CJ_heath
1984 CJ7 

I have a DieHard Platinum from Sears, and it has been very reliable.
CJ_heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
ADDZ71
1979 CJ7 

I have an Optima that is working on 7 years in my Chevy Truck and no problems. I believe that they switched to Mexico manufacturing in 2009 and their quality went downhill. My experience with GM style batteries and AGM batteries (Optima gel style) makes me a big believer. The next time I need a battery I plan on buying the AGM battery from Sears (I think it is Platinum). Find a discount/coupon as they are pretty pricey ($200 or so). This is in line with other AGM batteries. JP magazine did a review of batteries a few months ago and it rated very well. I am not sure who is making their batteries but I suspect First Penn.
ADDZ71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_heath
I have a DieHard Platinum from Sears, and it has been very reliable.
What he said. Guys around here said a couple years ago this battery was the best bang for buck on the market. They also said it handles the abuse off road better than most. This is what I'll look into for mine when I need a new one.
Unread 03-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Do you have a Carquest nearby? Recently got a battery at Carquest with a 7 year warranty for about $10 more then an Autozone battery with a 3 year warranty;

Jered
Bojon is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.