Buying first CJ Need advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Buying first CJ Need advice

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-03-2009, 10:08 PM   #1
Iraqvet08

Buying first CJ Need advice

So Ive been wanting to buy A Cj7 for a few years. I have found one locally and I looked at it once and to tell you the truth I really dont know what q? to ask or what to look for. Besides the obvious rust, he started it up and it sounds good what elses should i consider when buying this or any CJ. It is a 81 cj 7 he is asking 4000 but is willing to drop , i imagine he will take 3500. the frame looks solid. The body has minor spots of rust also. I am new to this. This is the reason I want a semi fixer upper I want to learn how to restore it mysef so please be kind thanks!

Iraqvet08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2009, 10:28 PM   #2
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

I would first do what you are doing now.....ask questions and RESEARCH the differences in these Jeeps. It looks like you narrowed it down to the CJ-7. ...so that gives you 76 to 86 for the years. Next, find out what was available during what years. Compare this to your needs in the long run. For example, if you want a full trail rig with tube fenders, swapped drivetrain, and huge tires, why ruin a garage kept mint CJ.....look for avarge or even semi built one and go from there. If you want to daily drive it, a hardtop, AC, 5 speed or auto may fit the bill better. Heres a quick run down on some basics. 76 to 80 was narrow axles, V8 available, 3 speed manuals or 3 speed autos via quadratrac systems, fender mounted roll bars, thicker hardtops with lever handle hard doors, dana 20 t case, 6 bolt hubs on front dana 30 axle, some had low back seats, etc, etc, 82 to 86 saw wide track axles, 5 bolt hubs/ center capped chrome rims, higher geared axles, 4 and 5 speed manuals, 3 speed autos and dana 300 t cases, better roll bars, hard door differences, and more interior and exterior comforts like cruise control, dome ligts, under hood insulation/ lights, delay wiper, etc, etc Start with the end in mind and find a CJ close to it. I have several CJs and really like the 82 to 86 best.....but thats just me. In your area, body rust and inner frame rot will be a BIG concern. Look at as many as you can and unless it is the one, don't impulse buy the first one you see. Not all CJs (or even CJ-7s) will drive or feel the same. gearing and tires will play a big roll in the way the CJ handles and feels compared to the next.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2009, 03:21 AM   #3
Jeremy_C
1978 CJ7 

Thanks for the Info, I'm picking up my 3rd CJ next weekend. I wouldn't mind being a more informed buyer this time around. My earlier CJ's were owned during my Teenage years.

Any other things to look for? I'm picking up a 82 CJ 7. 304, Auto Trans. Its in ohio, but from the pictures the frame and body all look solid.
Jeremy_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2009, 06:12 AM   #4
powermacj7
1986 CJ7 

The common spots for the frame, to look for rust, are the rear & front (by bumpers), although a quick inspection of total frame is warranted. Additionally, unless you care the Jeep either has the 4cyl or 6cyl motors, both are good motors, although most prefer the I6. Also look for modifications (suspension lifts, etc), I find most lifts are not done correctly and you find yourself fixing all that yourself (learned that lesson before).
Lastly, if the body looks like it has been painted, look for excessive body filler.
powermacj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
vertdog
1984 CJ7 

Yes, rust will be the biggest problem. Check under carpet if there is some. The frame likes to rust by the rear spring mount and rear crossmember. I think mechanical problems are easier to fix than bad rust.
vertdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.