buying a cj7...need advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > buying a cj7...need advice

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 11-08-2005, 08:00 PM   #1
mike4089

buying a cj7...need advice

might be buying a cj7 but there are a few questions that i would like answered if at all possible....jeep ran strong all the gaskets were replaced...valve cover tranny, transfer case and what not...small holes in the floor which isnt a big deal...nothing sheet metal cant fix....it has 31 inch tires on it so im guesing the speedometer was off...it said 35-40 and i felt i was driving alot faster then that....how far off would it be with 31's....also the oil pressure....what should it be???? when the motor was cold it was around 20-25 but when it warmed up it dropped below 20....its the inline six....is that normal???....also what else should i be looking for???...i really like this jeep and it seems to drive nic....its a little wobbly if you are going down the road and turn the wheel a little bit but for the most part it goes straight....suppossidly it has an all new front end....Help would be appreciated....please tell me what else i should look for and what is important to know about these jeeps.....there asking 3900 its an 83....not alot of rust....is that a good price???....i was thiknig of offering 3 thousand.......

mike4089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2005, 08:53 PM   #2
John C

31's will only throw you off by around 5mph. Oil pressure in AMC's is on the low side. A little less than 20 is OK when fully warmed. You should be around 12 at idle.
BLUE JEEP CLUB MEMBER #156
84' Caribean Blue Laredo w/ black leather interior
Frame off restore 6 years ago
7 inch lift w/ 34" TRXUS MT
DANA 44 front Solid axle converted Model 20 rear
AMC 360 / T-400 / Model 300 transfer case
SOLD
but never forgotten

Quote:
If I can't hunt it, fish it, f**k it, or wheel it, I might not be that intrested in it
John C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2005, 03:25 PM   #3
mike4089

somebody has to have advice?????
Unread 11-09-2005, 03:47 PM   #4
JuicedZ
2007 JK Wrangler 

i would take $3500 and a buddy. Give your buddy $1500 and have him hold it. Tell the guy you have $2000 in your pocket and see what he say's. If he tells you the lowest he can go is within what you are lookin to spend tell him you have to see if you bud can let you borrow some $$$. Them tell him he has $XXXX amount and see if he will take it. Thats how I got a 89 bronco fullsize for $1000 with new motor and trans.
JuicedZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2005, 06:14 PM   #5
luficer

[QUOTE=JuicedZ]i would take $3500 and a buddy. Give your buddy $1500 and have him hold it. Tell the guy you have $2000 in your pocket and see what he say's.

Perfect idea!!!! I paid $1200 for an '81 CJ-7, virtually no rust, running well, and used the same principle. The dude I bought it from wasn't even ready to sell it, and when he quoted a price, he said $2500. Either way, I would have gotten a steal. Good luck.

LUFY
luficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2005, 06:41 PM   #6
Bard
1985 CJ7 

buying a cj7...need advice

My advice, I buy and sell a lot of Jeeps here and there, any working rust free 4 wheel drive is worth a $1000. 83 didn't offer alot, but if it runs and drives decent, it could be worth it, depending on how much rust has started. Does it have a hardtop? do all the lights and guages work? Does it have factory axles (AMC 20, axles 2 piece?)See if the guy will let your mechanic look at it. An inspection is well worth your time and $ verse spending $3500 and then finding all the issues later on. I would have your mechanic check the fluids as well, clean fluids are a way to tell and you can see if they recently have been filled. Compression test is a great way to tell a motor. The Oil pressure is normal by the sounds, not sure on the miles, but if she pulls up the hills and doesn't smoke when you get on it, it is reasonable. Check the rear frame over, a typical spot is under the passenger rear by the front of the spring hanger, very common, easy to fix. Ask for receipts of recent work or parts. I buy most Jeeps for around a $1000, hem and haw and barter at your best, "I will need to think about it after I look at the other one today and get back to you" works pretty good and I only have $X amount on me, come right out and ask half for it, it usually works pretty well.
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2005, 06:46 PM   #7
Ezredcj
1980 CJ7 

Get under it and check every aspect of the frame and body mounts for rust.
Too many horror stories of people buying a very sound CJ with big tires and all kinds of stuff but a completely rotted frame.
Too many people just look for big tires and minimal tub rot.

SOLD 1999 Cherokee classic Rusty's 4.5 AAL 33x12.5 Maxxis Bighorn mudders.

2005 Toyota Tundra spectra blue 4x4 double cab

Hers
1999 Wrangler aka "the beast" 4cyl automatic
Ezredcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2005, 07:29 PM   #8
mike4089

all the lights and gauges work the tub has minimal rust and the fram doesnt seem to have alot of rust on it...the jeep has a new front end done by a local mechanic...you can see all the new parts ...all the gaskets have been changed...valve cover intake manifold exhaust....tranny...transfer case gaskets....he is asking 3900 im gonna go with 2500 in cash....it also has alot of chrome acessories...chrome dash piece around the gauges...chrome front grill....it does have a hard top in really good condition along with full hard doors....

Also the brake pedal....the jeep stops fine but i barely have to push it down its really tight i guess....is that what it is suppossed to feel like???.....
Unread 11-10-2005, 05:54 PM   #9
chevyguy76
1981 CJ5 

Hi,

I am by no means a jeep expert. I was looking for one for about 2 years and found a 81 cj-5 for 2000.00. Body is decent has some mud but is solid underneath and would only take minimal work to have it in A-1 condiotion. Frame is rust free and perfect. A few small things that need fixing but its also over 20 years old. It runs very good, and drives exellent. It also has about 700.00 worth of stainles trim parts added too. SO good deals are out there you just have to look for them. 3500 seems kinda steep to me. I have seen some decent 1990's for that or less

Just my 2 cents worth

Chevyguy
chevyguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2005, 08:52 PM   #10
canes989

I am just getting into Jeeps and bought a 85 cj 7 no rust engine rebuilt about 10000 miles ago very clean and does not look 20 years old. $2200.00 I go out in the garage at night and just look at it.
canes989 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.