Buying 1984 CJ-7 - first time Jeep owner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Buying 1984 CJ-7 - first time Jeep owner

Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
McCalljeeper
1984 CJ7 

Buying 1984 CJ-7 - first time Jeep owner

Here's what i know about this rig: 4 cyl AMC, 5-speed manual. Warn winch. Hard top. Has new starter and solenoid. Has been garaged and unused for 1 year. Starts but needs tune up. 60,000 actual miles.

Priority for work? Lubes, tune up, tranny check, radiator flush, check engine?

Will update after purchase.

Thanks.

McCalljeeper

McCalljeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
mooncruiser

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCalljeeper View Post
Here's what i know about this rig: 4 cyl AMC, 5-speed manual. Warn winch. Hard top. Has new starter and solenoid. Has been garaged and unused for 1 year. Starts but needs tune up. 60,000 actual miles.

Priority for work? Lubes, tune up, tranny check, radiator flush, check engine?

Will update after purchase.

Thanks.

McCalljeeper
Look up "nutter upgrade" thread - it's a simple, cheap ignition upgrade you should be able to do yourself. IMO it's the first and best thing you can do to wake up that 6 cylinder. And yes, new plugs, fuel filter and I would change all the fluids including differentials.
mooncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
mooncruiser

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here you go-

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ho...bypass-522262/

Steps 3-11

Also, check your local emissions laws in your county - others here might want to chime in

Last edited by mooncruiser; 03-23-2013 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: added text
mooncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 02:50 AM   #4
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

you are like me, I told an old mech that I had just bought a 1984 jeep with a 4 cylinder motor,
the first words out of his mouth was, boy you just ^&())$% up, I ask why, what do you mean.

he said up through 1983 jeep bought the 4 cylinder motor (iron duke) from GM, it was a good motor, but they wanted to make more money off the Jeep, so they started building the AMC 150 engine in 1984.

Per him the 4 cylinder AMC engine is no where near as good as the GM iron duke engine.

on well, does not matter, that is what we have and have to deal with it.

I had mine replaced with a new long block with weber carb, it runs and starts reasonably well, they sure are not a fast motor, you will not be winning any speed races with it, as it only has about 90 hp or sum such.

but, I have had it for years and it still runs and does what I need it too.

I think over all the 6 cylinder motor is the best motor for the jeep, many would disagree, but the V8 would be a lot of power for such a small, short, light, vehicle. Safety issue, older dudes think about safety,
dsc03225.jpg  
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
McCalljeeper
1984 CJ7 

Bought the 1984 CJ-7 today. While driving it, noticed a couple of interesting 'features': speedo and heater gauges fogged over when the heater was turned on. I'll check that out later. Pushed it to 50 mph on highway. Wasn't willing to move faster for now. It's going to the mechanic on Monday.
Unread 04-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooncruiser View Post
Look up "nutter upgrade" thread - it's a simple, cheap ignition upgrade you should be able to do yourself. IMO it's the first and best thing you can do to wake up that 6 cylinder. And yes, new plugs, fuel filter and I would change all the fluids including differentials.
In his first post he said it's the 4 cyl AMC 150 motor. I don't think the nutter applies. The ignition upgrade is the "Team Rush", Nutter eliminates electronic control by the ECU and emissions systems and allows you to control your card and distributor only on vacuum advance.

Good luck with your jeep and keep us posted. There is a lot of great information and people on here!

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
mastercraftka
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCalljeeper View Post
Bought the 1984 CJ-7 today. While driving it, noticed a couple of interesting 'features': speedo and heater gauges fogged over when the heater was turned on. I'll check that out later. Pushed it to 50 mph on highway. Wasn't willing to move faster for now. It's going to the mechanic on Monday.
Do you have a pic for the jeep yet?
1981 CJ 7
mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
McCalljeeper
1984 CJ7 

I retrieved the CJ from the mechanic yesterday, and got it registered at DMV. Idle is rough at times, and mechanic wants me to run a tank of non-ethanol with carb cleaner before he continues to tinker with it.

Previous poster asked if I have photos. As I'm new to this forum and haven't checked in very many times, I don't know if I'm allowed to post photos yet. Need help on that.

CJ appears to be in great condition, with a few things left to fix: windshield washer nozzle might be clogged, rear tail light assemblies have rust inside, and one bulb wasn't working. when I attempted to remove the bulb, it broke and the base of the bulb won't come out. So I ordered two new assemblies, driver and passenger sides. My guess is they don't come with bulbs so I'll check around for a list. Any suggestions regarding obtaining an owner's manual?

Thanks.

McCall (Idaho) Jeeper
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
thompsoj22
1984 CJ7 

ok, here's my 2 cents

"DONT TOUCH ANYTHING"!!!!!!!!!!!. if it runs at all, live with any little quirks it may have. believe me you will have plenty of time under the hood, upside down under the dash, on your back underneath the thing. get some much needed drive time out of it. if the heater core is leaking simply bypass it and keep on driving it. have your wife/girlfriend/friends go for a ride now!. once you turn the first screw/bolt it is over!. until a somewhat complete restoration is finished it will simply be you and your wallet!. welcome and this is the best place to come for how to's.
thompsoj22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #10
McCalljeeper
1984 CJ7 

I --love-- that reply. Thanks. I don't plan on any modifications: lifting, etc. Using rig for driving around mountain resort town summer and winter. Just noticed heater fan fuse melted. Will have to research that before winter.
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #11
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Read this thread. It's required reading for any new CJ owner.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/yo...j-when-639337/

Welcome to the madness.
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #12
McCalljeeper
1984 CJ7 

Oh, my Lord... I was LMFAO and only got through 10 pages of posts. Will read more later.

Why do my gauges fog over when I turn on the heater?

McCallJeeper
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #13
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCalljeeper
Oh, my Lord... I was LMFAO and only got through 10 pages of posts. Will read more later.

Why do my gauges fog over when I turn on the heater?

McCallJeeper
Water gets inside the gauges and you get condensation when you warm them up.
Consider yourself lucky to have heat, and gauges.

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #14
79cherokee

The nutter by pass will absolutely work. I did it on my 84 2.5 a couple years ago. It's actually easier than the 258 because no stepper valve on the carb. I removed the entire emission wiring harness and all the little switches on carb. Also removed all the stupid vacuum switches on the intake and rerouted heater hose off of the intake. a much less cluttered engine compartment. And it starts quicker because you are not waiting on the ecm to make its decisions about timing and engine temp. You will have to adjust timing to get it to run right. It will be way over advanced after the nutter. Pay attention to the accelerator pump diaphragm. Today's gas is a bit hard on them. I usually have to put one in every year.
Unread 05-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #15
JustDandee
1983 CJ7 

second the nutter by pass- I think I saw this rig on craigs list as I am just down the hill from you. I did a little thread on my fixes so far on my 2.5, slowly getting the speed up. However if I were in your shoes with that 5 speed, I would re gear the axles- Your not going to be able to use that 5 speed much in your area.

Dan in Nampa.
JustDandee is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.