Buyer beware - Tuffy Security Products - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Buyer beware - Tuffy Security Products

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 05-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #46
Oregon76CJ7
1976 CJ7 

WSS - Do you have pictures of the brackets you used to mount the CB and HAM? I may want to do the same thing with my CB.

Also, good point about inspecting it. I did open the box when I got it, didn't inspect it though, just took out the install instructions and left the rest inside the box.

And, i'm cool with the tone of the thread an the PR for Tuffy. Like i said earlier, other than the finish, the thing is built like a beast and it will still look good once i'm done with it.

Unread 05-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #47
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon76CJ7 View Post
WSS - Do you have pictures of the brackets you used to mount the CB and HAM? I may want to do the same thing with my CB.

Also, good point about inspecting it. I did open the box when I got it, didn't inspect it though, just took out the install instructions and left the rest inside the box.

And, i'm cool with the tone of the thread an the PR for Tuffy. Like i said earlier, other than the finish, the thing is built like a beast and it will still look good once i'm done with it.
In the end, I did not use any mounts. If you look close to the side pic, you will see two screws, both different sizes. I used the existing mount hole on the side of the CB and tri band to hold them in place. The CB (cobra 29) fit with just using the washers used in the original mount. The tri-band being narrower, I used some long screws and bushings to reach from the side. Works good.
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #48
wm69

I have three, no issues with any of them (one is from the mid 90's). That's a risk you take when you put something away and don't use it until long after the warranty is up. I have a Kenmore gas stove that's been sitting in the box in my shop for 3 years. Would I expect Sears to warranty it for ANY problems that it might have out of the box? Nope. I made the decision to stick it in the corner unopened, so the fact that I didn't take it out and check it over FALLS ON ME. From the manufacturer's point of view, who's to say you didn't spill something on it (brake fluid) or do something to it while it was on the shelf? I'm not saying you did, but I do think it's 100% unreasonable to ***** about something that is 2 years out of warranty, especially when you're *****ing about something that isn't covered under warranty to begin with.

This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #49
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm69 View Post
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
That's sig worthy......

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #50
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
That's sig worthy......

Matt
Oh man, I am still laughing! I have only had my CJ for about six months. I am just realizing the "subtle" differences between the types owners.

I don't cry when a part does not bolt on, I cry when I have screwed up the part from fiddling with it.
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #51
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

OMG and I thought the complainers/whiners were in the TJ section...........
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #52
tacjeep99

I don't see what the big deal is, take off the rust, hit it with some Rustoleum, and install it.

Tuffy makes good stuff and rarely have I ever bought a metal product from any manufacturer for my Jeep that it didn't start showing some rust at some point. I get rid of the rust, hit it with some spray paint, and the problem is solved.
tacjeep99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #53
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Sell it to me for dirt cheap. I'll put it to good use in my buddies 7......
PROJECT 23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #54
tuffy2
Vendor

Hi Oregon,
I hate to hear you're having trouble with that console! I understand you called us at Tuffy regarding this issue and we said it probably wouldn't be warrantied. However, you started this post on Wednesday and e-mailed us the link to it on Thursday. Up until then we hadn't seen photos of the situation. Now that I've seen what's going on, it does look like the cleaning and prep work didn't get the job done before we PC'd it. Someone should be contacting you Monday in regards to getting this solved.
It seems like a bit of a "Perfect Storm" - the one console that had an unknown issue was the one that sat on a shelf for several years!
tuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #55
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Now that's what I'm talking about. The post above tells you why I purchase Tuffy products....
PROJECT 23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #56
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon76CJ7 View Post
Ok, so i'm kinda pissed and venting a little. But I also figured it would be good info to pass along.

About 2-3 years ago I bought a Tuffy Security Console for my CJ. Never got around to installing it until now. So, as I'm installing the new deck in the console I notice that there is rust and chipped paint on the side of the thing. Upon closer inspection I can see where the finish is bubbling up and it is clearly rusting underneath there.

So I call Tuffy customer service and they won't do jack about it. Apparently their products are "Lifetime Warranty" against "defects in material and workmanship" excludes paint and coatings.

So buyer beware. I know it's a Jeep and not a Porche so i'm not going to loose any sleep over it. However it does chap my *** a bit to know how much I paid for this thing and it rusted just sitting in my fully finished climate controlled garage.
And as it always is with this type of person and post, there is a lot more to the real story.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #57
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

A company that's willing to go the extra mile for customer is aces in my book, even if the customer should own a Compass instead of a CJ

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #58
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Kudos to Tuffy for stepping up when they weren't obligated to.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #59
WSS
1972 CJ5 

>WOW< maybe I should have called them about the hole in the side of mine. LOL

An American business doing business like an American. Great job Tuffy!
Unread 05-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #60
silentmike29
1986 CJ10 

Good job tuffy, classy move there!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.