Buyer beware - Tuffy Security Products - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Buyer beware - Tuffy Security Products

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #31
silentmike29
1986 CJ10 

there is a lot more that could go wrong on your jeep, and honestly the little paint bubble does nothing to the lock box....say what you want about their customer service, but their product is amazing and it will still keep your stuff safe even though there is a little surface rust

Unread 05-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #32
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentmike29 View Post
there is a lot more that could go wrong on your jeep, and honestly the little paint bubble does nothing to the lock box....say what you want about their customer service, but their product is amazing and it will still keep your stuff safe even though there is a little surface rust

Yeah, that's what I figure. It will take a lot of rust to keep it from it's intended purpose.

I have an old Tuffy glove box also that is spotless. no rust at all. Certainly a difference in finishes though. The glove box one is more glossy than the console
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #33
Oregon76CJ7
1976 CJ7 

Dang, good conversation everyone. I'm not necessarily advocating against ever buying any of their products again. I thought it was interesting enough that warranted a post.

I should be clear that other than a small nagging issue and the poor finish quality the console is built well. I'll just have to spend a bit more to make it look as good as the rest of my pavement princess.

-Oregon76CJ7

Sooo, I just sent off this message to their customer service. We'll see if it makes any difference. I won't hold my breath, but as my old man would say it could never hurt to ask. Thank you all for comments.

Quote:
I purchased your center console for my 1976 CJ7 about 3 years ago (maybe less). The console literally sat on a shelf unopened in a climate controlled garage until a few weeks ago when I decided to finally install it in my Jeep.

Once I opened it I found that the steel is starting to rust under the finish and the paint/coating is bubbling.

I contacted your customer service and was told it would not be covered under warranty.

Now I understand that your warranty does not appear to cover paint finish, however I would like to make one last argument that the poor paint finish is a "workmanship" defect and not a "normal use" defect.

I can supply you with any number of pictures clearly showing the console is in PRISTINE condition with all the hardware untouched. It literally was not unboxed until a few weeks ago.

I posted this on my Jeep forum (link below) and after a lengthy back and fourth discussion I thought I would make one last attempt at getting this console fixed, repaired or even credited towards a new one with better finish before I spend more money blasting it and repainting it.

You can see my pictures in the first post. I can also provide any additional pictures to backup my claim that is has not been in contact with any chemicals.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bu...ducts-1517364/
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #34
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

let us know....

like I said no problems with them here
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #35
84scrambler
1984 CJ8 

If it were me I would be a little upset with the paint bubbling like that. I have spent a lot of time and money on my rig and would like the condition of the parts to match accordingly. Imagine if this was your paint job on your car. To me it looks like they may have improperly prepped that box prior to paint.

Perhaps Tuffy needs to look at this more carefully. I would ask them if they expect there paint to bubble like that within a 3 year period? If not then perhaps they are willing to inspect it and see if they can figure out why it happened. Who knows maybe they might find a QC problem on there end or maybe the customer is full of crap, either way it would be nice if they were more engaged in the issue.

I would really like to know Tuffy's view of this issue or similar issues for that matter.
84scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #36
Rolandt03
1983 CJ7 

what kinda garage do you have that an item can sit on the shelf for 3 years and not even have dust on it, as you mentioned? the cleanest climate controlled houses can't even go a month with out dust build up! calling a bluff on this one, something had to have come in contact with it wether you were aware of it or not!
Rolandt03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #37
offroadz
1980 CJ7 

How close to the ocean? Salt?
offroadz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #38
Oregon76CJ7
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandt03 View Post
what kinda garage do you have that an item can sit on the shelf for 3 years and not even have dust on it, as you mentioned? the cleanest climate controlled houses can't even go a month with out dust build up! calling a bluff on this one, something had to have come in contact with it wether you were aware of it or not!
It was in the original shipping box. The box of course was dusty but the console is as new as the day I received it. Heck, I still have boxes of other parts I've yet to install on this Jeep that I haven't opened yet. As a matter of fact if they did want me to ship it back they would get it in the original box.
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #39
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

for what it's worth, my work had 50+ Tuffy products sitting in non climate controlled storage for over 7 years, and I've yet to see a single one look like that.

I can understand why you'd be upset, but I can also understand that they won't cover it...if you had just bought it from a place and it had sat that long, and had rust, I'd expect a warranty replacement...but because you didn't inspect it when you received it, it's been quite a while to ask for warranty.

Good luck either way.
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #40
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Warranties are something that everyone looks at and some are not worth the time it takes to read them. Well most everyone. I bought a Dillon reloading press in 1982 and about 3 years ago I broke a part due to my own fault. I called them up with the intentions of paying for the parts I needed. Well after the guy took all of my info I asked him what I owed them. No charge. I explained to him again I broke the part. He still said the parts were free. They no doubt warranty plenty of things like that, likely more than they do because of workmanship flaws. But they still do it and they have the best name in the business.

Point being sometimes it's better to take the bull by the horns and go the extra mile for the customer and there will be plenty of folks to sing your praises if that's done. If not then you get a thread somewhere like this one with a bunch of bad PR. Tell you what though. This country would be allot better off if more people went into business and tried to make and sell a product. It's enlightening to say the least. Often humbling and sometimes frustrating. It's always good to walk that mile in the other fellow's shoes.

Oh and leaving metal stuff in cardboard boxes invites rust.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #41
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

This is why I open boxes the day I get them regardless of when I plan to install. Maybe ups dropped it, maybe it was a defect from day one. Things happen. When I did car audio I had a $1200 amplifier that was bad right out of the box by a very reputable company. But saying that the best name in jeep security has bad customer service because they are sticking to their warranty makes me question you and how you handled things.

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #42
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Except this thread isn't bad PR for them. Pretty much everyone except the OP has sided with Tuffy.

It's kind of odd that you ordered it and didn't even look at it when it arrived, then just let it sit for 3 years. Opening the box when you got it and finding that would most likely have gotten you a warranty claim. But 3 years later there is zero way to prove anything you are claiming.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #43
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Mine came new with a huge hole in the side that I had to patch!

Seroiusly, it was a dealer demo that had a cutout to show it's ruggedness. I could not tell you how old it was, but it had been sitting on a shelf for a long time, dusty, but zero rust or flaws till I got after it.

WSS
dscn7544.jpg   dscn7541.jpg   dscn7754.jpg   dscn7748.jpg  
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 12:54 AM   #44
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Yep, I'd say this thread has been pretty much a glowing advertisement for Tuffy.

Funny how things work out.....

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #45
spicoli69
1983 CJ7 

This post is all about integrity....or lack of
spicoli69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.