Buyer beware - Tuffy Security Products - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Buyer beware - Tuffy Security Products

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 05-02-2013, 05:46 AM   #16
RDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester77 View Post
I personally think that stinks. I would remove it, have it media blasted, and then powder coated. But, looking at both their PRO and REC line warranties, they are very clear about the coating...

"Tuffy PRO line products are covered by this warranty for one year. Tuffy products are warranted against defects in material and workmanship, excluding the coating, under normal use during the one year period, from the date of purchase, that the original owner possesses the vehicle in which the part is installed and used."

"We build Tuffy REC line steel products to last a lifetime and that’s how long we’ll stand behind them. Tuffy steel products are fully warranted against defects in material and workmanship, excluding the coating, under normal use during the time that the original owner possesses the vehicle in which the part is installed and used."

While I feel your pain and these pictures make me question the quality of their "Powder Coating with a 5 Stage Pretreatment Process," I would not get too upset with Tuffy, especially since there is no ambiguity in their warranty. I appreciate this post because alerts me to the fact that the product can and will rust when exposed to the elements. Before I get around to installing mine, I might have it media blasted and powder coated just to be safe. I will also check and make sure there are no leaks in the mounting holes for the console (or any other holes in the floor of the tub). Even in light of this, I am still convinced their products are superior to anything that is currently available.

Jester
I'm willing to bet that the warranty got changed within the last few years because of such a prevalent problem with the coatings and they were getting screwed out of new merchandise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
I agree - that sucks. I get that they are very clear in their warranty, but that thing should last 30 years in those conditions - not 3. Pretty clear Tuffy hasn't figured out how to keep their stuff from rusting, so they're taking the chicken**** route and covering their *** with a warranty. Good to know.
Exactly...kinda like GM not correcting the problem with their DRL modules.

Unread 05-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #17
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I have a tuffy center console and security box in my CJ and i have not seen any issues with the paint on mine. I believe they were purchased for me back in '07 and they have never been exposed to prolong weather. The only problem i ever had was one of the top shock mounts bent on the security box but that was because i load TMS in it....
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #18
silentmike29
1986 CJ10 

I have no issue with tuffy...mines been rained on plenty and no rust at all, would buy again! No company makes 100% perfect products, sucks you got a defect...shouldnt take too much to get that thing blasted and coated to your liking tho!
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #19
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Buyer beware - Tuffy Security Products....

...has the same warranty that virtually every other manufacturer of auto parts has, with respect to finishes.

Shocking!

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:18 AM   #20
my_304_cj7
1976 CJ7 

Whether or not they should or shouldn't warranty it is not my major concern. I think this goes to show the quality of their product and to be honest I wouldn't want them to warranty it. If it rusted in three years in a climate controlled area what will it do in my Jeep? Thanks for sharing because you just saved me a lot of money. I will never buy from tuffy.
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #21
my_304_cj7
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Buyer beware - Tuffy Security Products....

...has the same warranty that virtually every other manufacturer of auto parts has, with respect to finishes.

Shocking!

Matt
Is it shocking that this customer is upset that his never installed product didn't last three years?
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #22
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I think it's shocking that anyone expects a company to warranty paint after 3 years.

Matt
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #23
Manhattan

1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I think it's shocking that anyone expects a company to warranty paint after 3 years.

Matt
If Tuffy looked at that pic and is okay with how their product performed - whether in a Jeep or in a box, well that's a pretty clear sign they don't give a **** about their product, their reputation or their customer. Good companies use warranties with discretion. They are there to protect the company and the consumer. But, they can and should ignore their own warranty when their product does not come remotely close to performing as promised or implied.

And the fact that it sat for 3 years is irrelevant. They aren't selling bread or milk. They're not even selling replacement/maintenance parts. They're selling accessories in the aftermarket - and the consumer side of the aftermarket at that - it is very (!) common for parts to sit for very long before being put into service, as builds can routinely take years to complete.
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #24
silentmike29
1986 CJ10 

The company has no idea where the product was sitting for 3 years, any number of solvents could have come in contact with it, which is why they dont cover coatings. Even if they did cover coatings, no company is going to honor a warranty that long after it expires.
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #25
prismfisher
1982 CJ8 

Well.. This thread made me curious about my Tuffy console. I put this in sometime in 1995 give or take. I haven't had an issue with the coating failing. Certainly there is some chalking because my Jeep lived in humid Houston for about a decade. The Tuffy glove box actually looks new. The hinges need oiling but all is good. My question is that Tuffy must have changed their prep or coating at some time in the interval for this issue to occur.
dscn0768.jpg   dscn0767.jpg  
prismfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #26
silentmike29
1986 CJ10 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prismfisher View Post
Well.. This thread made me curious about my Tuffy console. I put this in sometime in 1995 give or take. I haven't had an issue with the coating failing. Certainly there is some chalking because my Jeep lived in humid Houston for about a decade. The Tuffy glove box actually looks new. The hinges need oiling but all is good. My question is that Tuffy must have changed their prep or coating at some time in the interval for this issue to occur.
yep, the only maintenance i do is add some graphite lubricant to the lock every once in awhile...otherwise no problems!
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #27
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
If Tuffy looked at that pic and is okay with how their product performed - whether in a Jeep or in a box, well that's a pretty clear sign they don't give a **** about their product, their reputation or their customer. Good companies use warranties with discretion. They are there to protect the company and the consumer. But, they can and should ignore their own warranty when their product does not come remotely close to performing as promised or implied.

And the fact that it sat for 3 years is irrelevant. They aren't selling bread or milk. They're not even selling replacement/maintenance parts. They're selling accessories in the aftermarket - and the consumer side of the aftermarket at that - it is very (!) common for parts to sit for very long before being put into service, as builds can routinely take years to complete.
First, let's be clear. A little bit of bubbling paint doesn't render the box useless. Yes, it's an eyesore for the owner, but it doesn't affect the operation of the console in any way. And it's an easy fix.

Second, do I think the finish should last longer than 3 years? Yes, and most of them do. If we polled the hundreds of Tuffy users, here, I bet at least 95% of them would be completely satisfied with their Tuffy consoles. I know I am. As Steve said, buy a Smitty, then get back to me on the quality comparison.

Lastly, even high-end electronic, or optical equipment manufacturers don't warranty against cosmetic damage. My outrageously expensive Swarovski binoculars have one of the best warranties in the industry, but they don't cover cosmetics. Same goes for my camera, stereo equipment, kitchen appliances...do I need to go on?

I guess we'll agree to disagree on this.

Matt
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #28
my_304_cj7
1976 CJ7 

But I don't consider this cosmetic damage. This is a defect. If, for the most part, customers are completely happy with their tuffy product they should have no problem replacing this one time occurrence. What I think the most likely scenario, which unfortunately happens all the time, is that for years tuffy put out a great product. One day the figured they could cut costs on coating, make milllions more and rely on the previous rep to continue to sell products.

My point is, if this was something they had never seen before, they would be more likely to fix the mistake and save a customer but if this is an ongoing problem they cannot afford to replace hundreds or thousands of these.

I believe that if your swarovski binos had paint bubbling off within three years they would make it right, whether or not they were obligated to. It is the sign of a company that stands behind their product.
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #29
silentmike29
1986 CJ10 

i dont know of very many companies that would do that after they warranty has been up for 2 years.
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #30
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_304_cj7 View Post
But I don't consider this cosmetic damage. This is a defect. If, for the most part, customers are completely happy with their tuffy product they should have no problem replacing this one time occurrence. What I think the most likely scenario, which unfortunately happens all the time, is that for years tuffy put out a great product. One day the figured they could cut costs on coating, make milllions more and rely on the previous rep to continue to sell products.
Pure speculation on your part. This is a one time occurrence, as far as we know, which lends itself more to the credibility of the company, than the word of one disgruntled buyer.

Quote:
My point is, if this was something they had never seen before, they would be more likely to fix the mistake and save a customer but if this is an ongoing problem they cannot afford to replace hundreds or thousands of these.
More speculation. If there were "hundreds or thousands" of these with paint problems, we'd know about it. The fact that this is an isolated incidence points more towards cosmetic damage than defect.

Quote:
I believe that if your swarovski binos had paint bubbling off within three years they would make it right, whether or not they were obligated to. It is the sign of a company that stands behind their product.
Again you're speculating. Perhaps they would, but neither you or I know for sure, and they wouldn't be obligated to, IMO.

Matt

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.