Buy a cj7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Buy a cj7

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
alp312

Buy a cj7

Hey everybody I'm going through the process of buying a 1983 CJ7! I just moved to Hawaii and I could think of a better vehicle to have. I'm posting pics, lets me know what you think. I already know its needs some body work

image-755077459.jpg   image-206260370.jpg  
alp312 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

looks great to me,

its got rear side mirrors, the steps are still in place and not bashed up, (most are gone or bashed up by this time) these are for short girls to get in, hey short girls like to ride in jeeps too.

1st. check the brakes

change all the fluids, give it a good tuneup, check the steering joints, spring hangers, drive shaft u-joints,

be sure the radio plays good and that the top comes off,

man you are good to go,

be sure the tires are not old and rotten, many times on these low miles driven vehicles, the tires can look good, but be old and subject to blowouts at highway speeds. be sure to check the tire date code, someone will show you how to check this, if you do not know how!!!

you did good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Looks like a good starting point. What do CJ's go for in Hawaii?
Unread 02-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
thompsoj22
1984 CJ7 

stop! dont drive it.

there arent any surfboard racks on it! i have seen some racks that integrate with the spare tire mount that are for short boards. your "gun's" have to strap up top. if your "haole" dont make it nice, keep it kind of "ratty" so it will more likely stay where you last left it!. it is the perfect island vehicle, make it reliable and put most of your upgrades into hidden theft deterrents that disable the ignition. im not hacking on the islands, but nice cars dont last, between tourists from iowa and locals you wont have a fender without a dent or a knob left on the dash. enjoy paradise!
thompsoj22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
alp312

Thanks for the responses! First thing I gotta do Is get a new battery. I tried charging it and no luck. I jumped it and I can drive around but once i turn it off! It won't start again. I also think the ground on the starter by the battery is loose. Radio plays! But it's cassette. I don't have my Metallica cassettes anymore, oops. Tires are good! Mickey thompsons with more than 80%. Drive estate is new he claims. Rear axle is a solid axle he said also. It's the 4.2 which I hear is solid engine idk.
Unread 02-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
alp312

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Looks like a good starting point. What do CJ's go for in Hawaii?
I'm spending 2G
Unread 02-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
CSP

What island are you on? The 258 is a great engine. Seven main bearings for six cylinders means it's pretty bulletproof.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
shadoow
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellmax View Post
looks great to me,

its got rear side mirrors, the steps are still in place and not bashed up, (most are gone or bashed up by this time) these are for short girls to get in, hey short girls like to ride in jeeps too.

1st. check the brakes
including the fluid in the master cylinder....looks like you have a leak on the front reservoir
shadoow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
alp312

I'm on Oahu! You here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
What island are you on? The 258 is a great engine. Seven main bearings for six cylinders means it's pretty bulletproof.
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
alp312

Good call. I see that now. I'm more worried about it starting without a jump. Hopefully new battery does the trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoow View Post
including the fluid in the master cylinder....looks like you have a leak on the front reservoir
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #11
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by alp312 View Post
I'm on Oahu! You here?
Nope, I'm in a land locked state. Looking for a vacation property on Maui or Kauai though if we can ever decide which island we like better.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
LargeAl
Dirt Gobbler

1979 CJ7 

I spent some time there in paradise...bought my CJ from a Navy captain.

Good luck with your new Jeep!

Al

LargeAl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #13
alp312

Someone help me! What is this? It looks like a relay that runs to the starter and the positive terminal on the battery, but it's loose and seems like it's preventing my jeep from starting.
image-2350454023.jpg   image-3085221677.jpg   image-2047167255.jpg  
Unread 02-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #14
melancholy35
1985 CJ7 

Its the starter solenoid. They run about $18.00 from your local parts store.
melancholy35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #15
melancholy35
1985 CJ7 

Where is that oil on the floor coming from? Make sure you take a look at your valve cover gasket. They tend to go and the symptoms present like a bad rear main seal.
melancholy35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.