Building a waggy 44 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Building a waggy 44

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

Building a waggy 44

Okay I finally go axles for my CJ7 - rear is built up nicely already and trying to get the front built to match the rear. The rear is running 4.88 gears, detroit locker, and disk brakes --- sooo obviously need to do gears in my front axle (out of a 76 wagoneer). The front is all stock for now - got the flat top knuckles, and tie rod flip currently with 3.08 gears (yuck).

Been doing some searching - did I read correct, I can use chevy knuckles in place of the waggy knuckles? Reason for asking I found a set of chevy knuckles already setup for hi-steer (arms included for a good price). I plan on sticking with the 6 lug bolt pattern so I can use my chevy rims that I have in storage. Probably going to leave the diff open for now - yeah I know should do it all at once with gears and locker, but don't have all that extra funding at this time. Also for gears / carrier I have a few different makes / models of trucks that use the same 44 to choose from right? Looked up the compatibility chart on Randy's R/P - and it looks like a good spread of years and makes, which will help in searching other offroad site classifieds.

Also been debating doing SOA, which I know the waggy axle isn't the best candidate for since grinding is required for the perch. SOA isn't a must, but the one factor driving this is I'm running a 727 tranny and am trying to get some clearance between the pan and driveshaft.

So any suggestions / comments, and / or links would be great. Already been reading through pirate and Mr Ns site.

And this will probably be asked so here's some added info (plans / uses for jeep).
- mainly trail rig, if it works out nice would like to plate it and drive around town as well
- running amc 360/727/d300 combo
- 36 or 37" tall tires
- If I do spring over on front my plan would be that using either stock waggy springs or 44044s - stretching at least the rear wheel base.

Last edited by 92XJT; 01-26-2010 at 09:39 PM..
92XJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
CSP

The Chevy knuckles are 100% interchangable with your existing knuckles.

Do not use 44044's in a SOA configuration unless you really want a high center of gravity. I have stock Waggie springs SOA and have room for 40s.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 06:19 AM   #3
No_Bs
1977 CJ5 

SOA on an FSJ axle is not really all that hard. Here is a Pirate link: 78 Wagoneer SOA newb Tech/pics needed - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board
I have to agree with CSP, if you go SOA don't get lift springs for only 37's an SOA, it'll be too tall. You won't find 4.88's in anything stock, but yeah, a 44 is a 44. Also, for a suggestion if you plan on mainly using it offroad and getting lockers later on, why no weld the rear and/or front? You'll love it offroad.
Unread 01-27-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
Thumperk15
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I have Waggy axles in my XJ, locked on 37's. Your gonna love that setup! I have 5.13's on the little 4.0HO and it's great! Are you running stock axle shafts?
Thumperk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

lol - yeah I knew the gears didn't come stock in any 44, but was just asking if standard 44s are compatible so when I searching classifieds with people selling gears. Yeah guess that would be a bit high with the lifted springs, so I'll be searching for stock front waggy springs and put those on all 4 corners. The rear axle is already locked with the detroit, and not sure I want a welded front. Maybe eventually get something but will keep it open for now - ideal situation would be a selectable front locker.

As of now the axle shafts, in the rear I stock that I know of, and the front for sure since the axle is completely stock.
Unread 01-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #6
Thumperk15
1992 XJ Cherokee 

If I had a V8 I may do Chromo axles but I wheel level 5 trails and mine haven't snapped with 39's yet.
Thumperk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

I figure most of the time I'm not a throttle person on the rocks. My old 78 GMC was lifted 8" and 38s on 1/2 ton axles (never broke anything), and had an 01 1/2 ton ram on 37" IROKs. lol - though I don't praise these setups they are doable for a time being. Trying to get the jeep mobil at least now and wheelable. Then upgrade once some funds are saved back up after this frame off rebuild.
Unread 01-27-2010, 10:16 PM   #8
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well found a good deal on another set of flat top knuckles, and these ones area already setup for high steer, with the arms already installed.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.