Building a halfcab for a CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Building a halfcab for a CJ7

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 07-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
Dborns
1977 CJ7 

Building a halfcab for a CJ7

Ok, I have searched the forums on the subject of putting a half cab on a CJ7, and have found that it can be done, but most threads go into talking about moving the roll bar. I have the older style bar, and don't want to move it. After reading the "Safari Cab" build, I decided to attempt a half top fiberglass build, I BLAME YOU JEFF SCHERB!. Anyway, instead of sinking a ton of time and money into a full hard top build, I thought I would try the half top; that and I really like the looks of it. I've never seen one for sale locally, and it would be a fun project. So I know it can be done, and after staring at the thing I've really only come up with a few problems.
The first would be seatbelts. With the top tucked in between the seats and bar, I would lose the three point belts. I figure lap belts would do me just fine and that would keep me from trying to figure out a way to integrate the upper mounts into the cab.
The second problem or question is, just how thick is a stock hard top? The reason I ask is because the pass. seat is far enough ahead but I'm 6'2 and the drivers seat is sitting against the roll bar and I would have to slide it up quite a bit. How thick would I need to build the top? I would want it to be strong, but thin enough that I wouldn't be taking up a bunch of room with a top that I made to thick.
The other issue would be getting the bulkhead mounted the the floor and flush with the angles and sides of the Jeep, but thats probably the least of my worries.
Thanks for the help....

Dborns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
kidzz429
1980 CJ5 

I would love to see this! i have a 5 and if you can do it with the same roll bar setup that i have i'm thinking i would beable to do this to! I have thought about it but didnt think it was possable with the bars comeing down behind the seats. (i to am 6 foot and need the room)
kidzz429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
ReconRabbit
1983 CJ7 

I think the best option would be to modify a full hardtop into a half cab like Jeff did on the Gaucho build. It's a lot easier modifying something like that than starting from scratch.
Unread 07-14-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
Dborns
1977 CJ7 

Yeah, I looked at it for along time trying to figure out away to come down behind the bars but it didn't look feasible. I'm thinking if the top is 1/8" thick and I could get it positioned as close to the roll bar as possible, maybe even sitting against it, then the seat wouldn't have to be moved that far forward.
I'm looking at a pic now, and wondering if the back is at a 90* angle, would it look weird with the bar going at the angle it is? It would be flush with the bar at the bottom, but the gap would get wider as you go up.

Does anyone have a pic of a CJ with the older style roll bar and a half top?
Unread 07-14-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
Dborns
1977 CJ7 

I've thought about modifying a soft top, but along with the half tops, I haven't had good luck finding one that doesn't have major damage in the structural areas. Plus, its alot more fun to say, "I built that", instead of "I bought that". Well, thats depending on how the final product looks!
Unread 07-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
kidzz429
1980 CJ5 

?? i never thought about a soft top! I have a cj7 top that's basicly brand new! no rips, tears and windows are even clear. I would hate to try with that. i may try with my old top just to see if it's possable then get a new 5 top
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
Dborns
1977 CJ7 

If I find a used soft top thats cheap, I plan on buying it and playing with something like that, but right now I'm looking towards winter weather in Missouri, and want to work on a hard top. With two little ones and only about 3 hours in the afternoon to work, my projects tend to take longer than most people!
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:22 PM   #8
Dborns
1977 CJ7 

Are the cabs of CJ's and Scramblers the same length? I'm just talking the front section; I know the 8's are longer wheelbase. I found a few pics of 8's with the half cab between the bar and seats, I'm just not sure if the 8's are longer and therefore have more room between the seat and bar.
And are the vertical bars on a stock scrambler roll bar straight up and down or do they angle to the back like a cj?
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #9
kidzz429
1980 CJ5 

? dont know. that's something i would like to know to!
Unread 07-14-2010, 10:15 PM   #10
jeffyjensen
1980 CJ5 

i'm pretty sure that the cj-7 and cj-8 are the same at the doors. but the cj-8 is a longer tub.
Xtreme 4x4 DVD (2009) Episode 8 - "CJ 8 Scrambler Part IV Dual Fuel"
thats a 8 with a 7 top on it

is that what your asking
Unread 07-15-2010, 08:40 AM   #11
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

pretty sure an 8 half cab would work but for your 3 point seat belts you could do what the CJ8 does and run a screw though the hard top into the roll bar and mount your belt on the inside of the top.
Unread 07-15-2010, 08:52 AM   #12
CSP

Yes, a CJ8 half-hardtop and bulkhead will work on a CJ7 (it will also work on a YJ). I have one, but it is currently in pieces.

The rollbar you have will not work with this setup, but that's the only modification needed. The one I have is a '76 and has the rollbar that mounts entirely on the rear fenderwell.

The Scrambler forums usually have several half-hardtops and bulkheads for sale. It would be a lot easier to find one of these than to make your own. I have one that I'd sell, but I'm not willing to deal with shipping it.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #13
kidzz429
1980 CJ5 

i just looked at my 5. my seats sit about 6-7 inchs behind the bar. i think there's no way i could even do a custom soft unless i wanted to sit that much closer to the wheel. I so disapointed!!! your idea got me excited thinking i could possable do that. well, guess it's time to think of something else.
Unread 07-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #14
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

I can't imagine how much room that wouldn't leave you in the cab???

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #15
kidzz429
1980 CJ5 

that would leave me with about a hand width away from the wheel and my knees on the dash pannel. just to get me through winter that still wouldnt be fun. im still looking in to a diff way to do a soft top half tho.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.