Building of a CJ7 - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Building of a CJ7

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 04-14-2009, 08:21 PM   #61
sail78385
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Ive been in the waiting line for 3 months going on 4. Seems like eveyone is on a hiring freeze then they hire 10 people and wait another 6 or 9 months before they hire again. I even tried Dept of Natural Resources and they wouldnt even send me an application. Ive sent apps to Charleston, Mount Plesant, Greenville and highway patrol. I thought having a Citadel degree would help me but has thus proved to be worthless. I may take you up on the Sumter thing. I just want a job.

sail78385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2009, 08:27 PM   #62
sail78385
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Help me out here guys:
So I have an:
AMC 304 with the th400 and quadratrac transfer case
AMC 360 with 727 and no transfer case
a rear 44 from CJ7
and a full size rear 20 from wagoneer

I have found a guy selling
front a rear 44s from a j10 (offset for the quadratrac)
dana 300

So what combo is best. Im worried about using the 360 cause it broke down on me when it was in the wagoneer. I heard a loud bang and saw brown smoke pour out as the jeep died and coasted to a halt. could this be a thermostat problem?

I mean I could go
360-727-dana300 with the full size 20 and front 44 from the j10 (that way I get the 6 lug pattern and full size alxles) or
304-th400-quadratrac with the dana 44 front and offset rear

any info would be appreciated. I had planned on doing the quadratrac 304 thing but now that I found a dana 300 for sale at a decent price im kind of scratching my head.
Unread 04-14-2009, 08:49 PM   #63
danheit
1979 CJ7 

Well, as far as a PD job goes, I was in the same boat. I applied everywhere, and ended up even looking WAY out of state with not a lot of luck. I actually ended up finding sumter while looking on some of the Policejobs websites. I think I was on Policeone.com. I do believe that the state transport police are looking for some officers around the Chas area. Contact Alicia Greene at Highway Patrol. She will point you in the right direction. I was actually in line for doing that when I backed off and went towards the Sumter PD. I just didn't want to mess with being a transport cop. I would much rather be in the middle of the "action" so to speak than pulling over trucks that missed the scales.

As far as the motor combo goes, Why not use the 304 block with the 360 heads (have to do a little machine work, but makes a great upgrade), stick with the T400 (much better tranny IMO) and go D300 (I actually really like my Q-trac in my CJ that I am building. Somthing about the full-time 4wd that I like). Oh, and I would go full size axles if you are going 36" tires or bigger, otherwise, stick with the narrowtrac to be a little more period specific. Also, if you wanna get rid of that D44 rear from the CJ7, lemme know!

Build Thread: 1979 CJ7 Blue Jeep
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2009, 09:09 PM   #64
sail78385
2004 LJ Wrangler 

narrow track axles wont fit under my frame because of the outboard conversion. I didnt think that 360 heads could fit on a 304, and thats getting a little messy in my opinion.
Unread 04-15-2009, 07:55 AM   #65
danheit
1979 CJ7 

360 heads will fit with a little machine work, but if you want to keep it all stock, then I would say it depends on what direction you want to go in. 360 will make more power, but the 304 is more of a "correct" motor. However, with a nice cam, intake/carb/exhaust, and a CDI you would be amazed at how much the 304 will wake up. It will never suck you in the back of your seat like a sbf or sbc in a Jeep, but it will certainly impress you. Furthermore, I personally wouldn't want too much HP in my Jeep.

Build Thread: 1979 CJ7 Blue Jeep
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 11:56 PM   #66
bigpoppavtx
1980 CJ7 

What ever happened to this build????????????????
bigpoppavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2009, 06:33 AM   #67
sail78385
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I had to sell it unfortuantely. I needed reliable transportation. But I still have the front hood and grill if anyone is ever interested.
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #68
Kennyslatton
1986 CJ7 

Cool
Kennyslatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 12:24 PM   #69
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail78385 View Post
Well I got the wings from the commando welded on today and put some filler on to cover the welds and cover in the low spots. I think it looks really good. I also got my hood ready to be welded back together -I got it in 2 pieces, and as soon as it one piece again I will add the back of the cj7 hood to it. Then I guess all I have left to do is brake and engine work!
I had seen your thread a while ago and it intrigued me... looking back through it today, it says you had to weld the hood back together... was htat down the middle, or just in the back portion? I am curious because I saw the body work in the middle of the hood and wanted clarification.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:24 PM   #70
jeepmor

Quote:

Heres a picture of the bubbafied dana 44

Notice that the angle for the driveshaft is way off

That is the normal way to SOA a D44 front. Angle may be off and require rework, but that's what mine looks like from when I had my SOA done. Those front ends normally don't point the pinion at the transfer case because it can cause oil starvation up to the pinion bearing is what I was told. The pinion should be level with the ground on a flat surface.

That doesn't look level in those pics, looks like it's pointed down a bit.

hope this helps
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #71
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
I had to sell it unfortuantely. I needed reliable transportation. But I still have the front hood and grill if anyone is ever interested.
Do you still have the hood and grille? I would be interested in them.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
Unread 01-31-2014, 05:39 AM   #72
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiablejeep View Post
Do you still have the hood and grille? I would be interested in them.

cb
I'm pretty sure I ended up with the grille, although not from the O.P., I got it from someone who I think got it from the O.P. I didn't get the hood though, I was building a custom fiberglass hood and Hurst Commando hood scoop to adapt the CJ/Commando grille to a TJ anyway. I haven't heard what happened to the O.P.'s hood.

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2014, 05:41 AM   #73
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Thanks for the info... maybe he will respond, but he hasn't been active in a while.

What I really need are the wings. I have another grille, but I don't want to cut it up. I have plenty of CJ grilles and can weld them on pretty easily.

So, I need a beat up commando grille with good wings or just the wings.

It will happen, I have time.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.