Building of a CJ7 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Building of a CJ7

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-07-2008, 04:56 PM   #16
sail78385
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Went to pull the engine tonight and one bolt from the manifold is giving me a tough time. Anyays the engine should be pulled tomorrow and shold be dropped in the frame sometime this weekend. Cant wait!

Anyone have any tips on how to clean and paint the engine while its out?

sail78385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2008, 12:47 PM   #17
Johnyakimo1855
1984 CJ7 

Gunk foamy engine brite and a high psi pressure washer. Make sure you drain the oil and refill to keep water from piercing through the gaskets. I would make sure I at least change the valve cover gaskets though. As far as paint. How far you wanting to go as far as time and money....
Johnyakimo1855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2008, 02:10 PM   #18
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail78385 View Post
Also got a note from my neighbors, Ive been toying with the idea of putting christmas lights and flowers in the Jeep to make them a little more appealing!

Love em or hate em
Gotta love some neighbors. From the pics you posted looks to me you keep it pretty clean. You should post a note stating "when you pay my taxes then you can do what you'd like over here." But then again get even not mad. Had a neighbor once ask my wife to have me not work all night on my cars. So I try not to work late anymore. BUT everytime I get a fire call for my fire dept. in the wee hours before dawn I always fire up my PU's V8 and am sure to race the engine a few seconds longer to let them know I'm off to help someone.
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2008, 04:39 PM   #19
sail78385
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyakimo1855 View Post
How far you wanting to go as far as time and money....
Question of the year! Im goin to try my hardest to get the Jeep done by May. I finish college in December and hope to have it done before I walk in May so I can show all of my buddies. As far as money is concerned I figure that around $6000 will about wrap things up. I would like to have 35-38's on it, beadlocks (hopefully I can put beadlocks on the factory alloy wheels off of the waggy), mastercraft seats, full roll cage, Re-paint to Blue, lockers, and a 21 gallon fuel tank.
I finally got the engine pulled and started the cleaning process. Im gonna remove the body and re-paint the bottom of the tub beacue the paint is peeling. Also Im painting the frame glossy blue. Once I wrap that up Ill run the stainless brake and fuel lines.

I really hope yall are enjoying my build.
Unread 08-09-2008, 08:40 PM   #20
sail78385
2004 LJ Wrangler 

So heres what Ive gotten accomplished in the last 2 days.

Waggy ready for the pull

Had to cut a whole to get the transfer case off

Finally got it out

I also cut of the homemade 350 mounts off the CJ frame and started painting the frame and getting ready for the drop. All I need to do now is get the 360 mounts in after a little drilling. I should be cleaning the engine up tomorrow and getting the waggy ready for the front axle pull.

Unread 08-10-2008, 07:20 PM   #21
sail78385
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Well I went to drop the engine in the frame today that I finished painting and quickly realized that I dont have the correct mounts. Also I went to run the hard brake lines and stoped because I havent gotten my Proportioning valve yet. So looks like it will be a couple of days until I get things rolling again.
Unread 08-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #22
sail78385
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I sacraficed a good original CJ hood to the jeep gods today. Ended up cutting off 6 1/2 inches and got it ready to be welded onto the commando hood. Looks like it should be done by the end of the week. There is going to be alot of body work! Im also thinking about spraying the frame black. I just think that a blue frame could be a bad thing -Any suggestions? Also installed a soild differential cover on the rear and ran brake lines to the rear. Just waiting on the proportioning valve and motor mounts horns to come in.

Im thinking about naming this car the Command-J7 -anyone else got something better ?
Unread 08-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #23
sail78385
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Well I got the motor and transmission in and im at a stand still right now. The skid plate for the trans that came with my 86 is definatley out of an older CJ, looks like the one in my 79. Did these change so much that you cant use the older one on an 86 frame?? Ive got the 727 auto trans from the waggy in there maybe its the mount on the trans itself that I need to change? Anyone got any suggestion? Do I need the newer style skid plate or a custom one?
Unread 08-22-2008, 03:39 PM   #24
sail78385
2004 LJ Wrangler 

anyone have some tips for me?
Unread 10-21-2008, 09:53 PM   #25
illinicj
1979 CJ7 

How is this coming along?
illinicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2008, 12:11 AM   #26
sail78385
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Well its coming. I dont know if I mentioned this but I go to a military college: The Citadel. Im pretty much stuck here until I graduate this semester. But I have gotten the frame painted black and dropped the 360 motor in. The hood, which I made from a commando hood + a CJ7 hood needs about 2 more hours of work, you will never be able to tell it was made from two. I ordered a Lokar shifter for the 727 transmission and went to install it this past weekend but bad weather prevented it. I went and put the Dana 44 cover on the rear and then quickly noticed that oil was leaking out of the back. So I may end up putting the wagoneer dana 44 front and model 20 in the rear. After all everything was functional on these when I pulled them. I need to get a buddy over to help me put the tub back on and then it will start looking like a vehicle again. Im praying for an Atlas transfer case or ill flip a dana 300 and twin stick it. I like the ease of having the controls next to me. Then Ill block sand the entire tub, order new fenders and a windshied and paint it. At the same time Ill have the bottom of the motor rebuilt and put edlebrock aluminum heads and preformer intake with a 650 cfm carb -I like keeping things simple. Also Ill have the transmission examined and replace the flex plate, new seals everywhere and have the breather hole moved on top of the trans and a breather line ran. I should have things rolling again in December. Ill post pictures then.
Unread 10-22-2008, 09:03 AM   #27
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail78385 View Post
anyone have some tips for me?
definitely paint the frame black, you'll be glad you did in the long run...

and as a Commando fan, I can't wait to see the finished product; Keep up the good work!

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #28
sail78385
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I finally got to this point, I still need more work but Im proud of the out come so far.

Unread 02-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #29
sail78385
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Once I get the transmission mount fabbed up I can roll it around again, also I need to install the model 20 transfer case. Does anyone know if this is a direct bolt on to the 727 transmission that had the NP transfer case mounted behind it?
Unread 02-21-2009, 09:35 PM   #30
mjfitz99
1986 CJ7 

Technically I can't help with your questions, but I think that you have done some really nice work. I am not sure how I missed your thread. Keep it up.
mjfitz99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.