This project is not dead!!!! Life has been kicking my *** lately leaving me with no time for anything. So in order to jumpstart this project again I decided to scrap my front bumper builds and I ordered some MetalCloak bumpers (for my 79' and the 83'). I consider it a Father's Day present to myself. The Metal Cloaks have the look I wanted plus they have the winch mount built in. They were on sale so I ordered two identical sets.
I installed the new bumpers and I'm very happy with them. They went on easy and look good. I like the fact that they are modular because it gives me the ability to change or add things to it without having to start from scratch. Which is a huge bonus seeing as I constantly change my mind about stuff on this build. The bumpers come with a ton of hardware to close off all of the unused holes but I'm gonna leave it as is.
I've been researching hood louvers and their placement lately, so today I marked up my project hood. I'm going to put a vent above each exhaust manifold and across the back of the hood as close to the firewall as the hood bracing will allow. I still plan on using the perforated sheet I have on hand. I'll make two sets of vents because if I'm happy with the results I'll do the same setup on my 79'.
I spent some time cleaning up some wiring on my 79', changing the thermostat and adding relays to my E-fans wiring. Runs much cooler now.
I made one vent for the project hood out of 1 inch x 1/8 flat bar and perforated sheet. I'm only going to run one vent towards the rear of the hood so I won't be cutting out the other two sections I laid out on the hood over the top of the exhaust manifolds. The one rear vent is large enough that it should help rid the engine compartment of excess heat. I like the way it came out so I'm gonna make another for my 79'.
I also made a mount and screen out of the same materials for an auxillary trans cooler/E-fan setup that I may mount in the right front fenderwell of the 79' to take the extra cooling load of the th400 off the radiator. I'll have to cut a section out of the inner fender behind the wheel to get the airflow. The perforated sheet will block any rocks/debris that may get kicked up at the cooler mounted behind it.
Man I'd have had a hard time cutting into that hood but you did a great job. Keep us posted how well the vents work.
Thanks! I took a ride today in the 107* heat and hit the highway for 20 minutes, pulled off and drove some side streets and then pulled over and idled for ten minutes and it maintained a steady operating temp of 195*. This is down 15-20* from pre-hood vent temps. I'm running a 160* t-stat.
Yesterday was a great day! I went to the local pick a part looking for 2 contour fan setups ( one to replace the dual flexalite in my 79 and one for this project) and I found this near complete 6/auto/300 p/s, p/b CJ tucked in with the cherokees. The only thing missing was the front arb locker. I immediately noticed the mean green and arb stickers on the dash. Yup it had mean green starter in it! I pulled the starter, alternator, headlight and marker assemblies/harnesses and a bunch of other little hard to find parts. It even had the same gas tank I'm using on the 83 so I pulled the fuel sender retaining ring and float arm extension that I couldn't find anywhere else.
The cj has quite a bit of aftermarket stuff on it to include a clifford aluminum valve cover, slotted rotors, front lift shackles and a nice aluminum skid for the aluminum gas tank. Too bad I didn't come across this CJ earlier in the project because I could've used the trans crossmember instead of building one. If any Vegas guys need CJ stuff you need to get there quick!
I wound up finding a good contour fan setup so i pulled that also along with the harnesses for another guy in my club who really needed it.