I installed my four inch lift on my 79 today and it looks awesome..... Sitting in the driveway! I've got some serious driveline angles that I need to correct in the rear. I'm not sure if rear degree shims, a transfercase drop kit or both will be needed. I thought it was gonna blow out a u joint at 15 mph on the test drive.
8* shims in the rear axle, some new "U" Bolts and grade 8 hardware all around and now I can drive my 79'. Here's some shots from today:
Rear pinion angle before:
Installing shims with new centering pins:
Rear pinion angle after:
It took about two hours but was well worth it, everything came apart rather easily but only because I worked all the rust loose when I originally installed the lift the lift last week. Onto the next project, reinstalling my sway bar with new urethane bushings and looking for two drop pitman arms. One for the 79' and one for the 83'.
I put my spare 35 on my 79 today to see what it looked like. In the top picture the driver's front is the 35 on a 15x8, the rear is the 33 on a 15x10. After driving on the 33's (Interco TSL's) for a few days I swapped them for the 35's. The interco's were rattling the fillings out of my teeth and the 35's are much smoother on the road.
I've been sidetracked with my 79' since installing the lift. Turns out I need to drop down from 8* to 6* shims in the rear because it's starting to wear my CV. So I ordered new 6* shims and will install those once they arrive. I'll leave the CV rebuild to the pros and have the rear driveshaft lengthened at the same time.
I'm looking for a fuel sender for the project but I'm not sure what unit will work. The stock Cj replacements have a locking ring to keep them in place and this one doesn't. The tank is an aftermarket steel 21 gallon tank that has three threaded rods surrounding the sender, if anyone knows where I can get one that will work please advise. Here's two pics of the tank:
Coiz, I have a new one of those senders on my shelf that I scavenged the float out of a while back. Now I just need to make the same mods to it that you did and get the lock plate. Thanks for documenting yours.
I installed my 6* rear shims on the 79' today and it went very smoothly. I left the springs in the Jeep to save on time. I wound up just jacking up the rear and supporting the Jeep by the frame with 6 ton stands. I let the rear suspsension droop and unbolted the axle from the springs on both sides. Then I jacked up the rear axle and supported it on smaller stands to make enough space to work. From there I used some 6 inch c-clamps on the springs and removed the centering pins to take out the 8* shims and install the 6* shims. Then reversed it all and bolted it all up. It took about 30 minutes and saved me $150 off the quote from the driveshaft shop. I took advantage of the quick work and fixed the leaking valve cover on the 401 also. I still need the rear driveshaft lengthened so I may just pull it out and bring it down to the shop to cut down on labor costs.
I got my rear driveshaft for the 79' lengthened and had the CV kit rebuilt so that's installed and done (no more vibrations period). The valve cover gasket is another story. I don't know if it's the cheap aftermarket stamped valve covers I have or what but the gasket still leaks. I'm using the felpro rubber gaskets (dry) and using the proper torque per the manual.
I chopped down the front stainless bumper on my 79' to a few inches wider than the frame rails to see if I like the way it looks before I continue building my front bumpers for the 83' and the 79'. I like the look of the small bumpers up front and the stainless one came out nice so I started cutting some angles in the ends of the 2x4 x .250 wall tube I'm using for them. All I really need now is a strong integrated solid bumper mount/recovery point(Jim1611).
Thanks Skerr. I got them from Morris 4x4. They are warrior products 6* shims for $19. I've been trying to deal with the divided attention that comes with owning multiple Jeeps. I really need to get back to working on the 83' and make some real progress. Here's a pic of the chopped front bumper on the 79'.
I know it's been a while but I had an hour to work on the project today so I got busy cutting steel to make two front bumpers and winch plates. I used 2 x 4 inch .250 wall tube and cut some angles in the ends just slightly wider than the frame width. Then I cut up some 1/4 inch plate to make two winch mount plates that will secure to the frame and be welded to the bumper. I used some 1/4 inch flat bar so I can cap the ends of the bumpers off. I'm going to wait to see if Jim1611 is going to make the pass through bumper mount/recovery points..if not I'll cut up some more 1/4 inch flat bar to make mounting tabs for the bottom of the bumper.
I also cut up some 1/4 inch flat bar and marked them up to make some stronger shackles because the project is sitting on some stock 1/8 inch stamped ones. Now I just need a drill press for all the 1/2 holes.