I got the engine in today, it went in very smoothly too. I learned from lessons past to wait to install all of the accessories onto the intake until after the engine is installed in the frame and the hoist removed. I once cracked the rear cooling passage on a performer intake because the hoist chain made contact with it as I lifted it up. I didn't want to do that again. I also installed the crank pilot bushing and the rear spacer plate. Next up is the Flywheel/Clutch, trans and transfercase. It's coming along, today was a good day... Here's a few shots:
Thanks guys! I heard from the Balancer company today and after three weeks on back order they cancelled my order because they won't restock the 401 balancer until 2011. What a pain in the a$$. Why do companies advertise and sell stuff they don't even have on hand. I found another one for more money from Summit and relunctantly ordered it (I hate paying tax for online purchases). Flywheel and clutch were installed today.
I went to install the throwout bearing/release fork today and noticed that the old throwout bearing is totally different than the new one that came with the new clutch kit. My question is, does it matter? The old one had a square backing plate with clips to hold it onto the release fork, the new one doesn't. This is my first clutch install ever so I'm not too sure. The only reason I can think of is that the old one came off of a 304 and the new one is a 401 clutch kit. Any advice? Here's a look:
Here's a few shots of my first 79 CJ7 Renegade (the orange one). It's been about nine years since I sold it. The salt in the wounds came about three months after I sold it and I saw it on Ebay for more $$$ but stripped of all the good stuff. It was a 360/th400/QT with one piece axles.
The balancer just arrived so I'll install that later today.
The balancer gave me some trouble but I kept my head and did not resort to the BFH. My puller/installer tool did not have the right size thread bolt so I used a 1 inch thick disc of aluminum I had laying around and bought a 4 inch long 1/2 inch fine thread (20) hex bolt. I put the two together and used them to press the balancer onto the crank. I got it on as far as I could with the pulleys within 1/16 inch of each other. I used a flat washer behind the waterpump pulley to line them up perfectly. Now I'm going to focus on getting the transmission/xfercase in over the holidays.