Crossmember is all welded and bolted up. I'm happy with the trade off of all the time put in to it because it bolted right up. So with the drivetrain finally supported by the Jeep (no more jack stands) I was able to move the Jeep around the garage on the dollies and drop in the new gas tank.
I just started a week long vacation so I hope to get moving along on this project now. I plan to have the 35's mounted on the new wheels so I can install them by the end of the week.
243...you're right, I put a 401 in my DD 79 CJ7 and it is a blast...especially off the light when I put my foot in it! And that one's got a power robbing TH400. I can't wait to drive this one with a manual.
The 401 block I'm using for this build is already .030 over. The #7 cylinder has a scratch and I need to find a new machine shop to inspect it. It looks to have been recently rebuilt but the #7 piston is damaged resulting in the scratch in the corisponding cylinder. I'm hoping to be able to hone it instead of boring out to .040 over. This would save considerable amounts of $$$ because I would only need a re-ring kit + 1 piston, instead of a full rebuild kit. We'll see what happens........the shop I used for my other 401 has closed down and I don't know of any other ones around here.
The new gas tank seems like it is going to interfere with the passenger side body mount directly above it. Not sure if I'll be able to get the mounting bolt in there during final assembly. I mentioned that only because I'll probably forget about it so this is my reminder.
I took the crossmember out and painted it last night. I left it to dry on the floor of the garage. I came home from shopping with the family today and forgot that it was there. I pulled in and ran it over with the minivan. It supported the entire front of the minivan, no damage to it, no warpage, just one scratch that I touched up with the spray can..... I had my money on my wife being the one who would've run it over, good thing I'm not a gambling man.
I contacted Arias pistons today and provided them with the part# 412 on these pistons, the guy said "whoaa, we haven't made those in over 25 years". They are forged and at $120 each for a custom replacement plus a rering kit @ $200 + the cost of a cam I might as well go all out with a master rebuild kit for $600 and call it good.
The 401 block, rods, heads and crank are at the machine shop so I inspected the T176 today. I pulled off the top of the transmission and much to my surprise it is in great shape. No busted gears, teeth or syncros. I knocked over the shifter when I went reassemble it and it made the stick move out of alignment with the shift rods so no gear could be engaged. I pulled the shift rods out, lined everything back up and reassembled it. It shifted through all gears and now just needs some new fluid and a coat of paint.
I bought some new polyurethane bushings for my CL steal 4 inch SUA lift that I plan on installing on my 79' while the 401 is in the shop. The Dana 300 will get twin sticked also because I just ordered a twin stick shifter and a new 401 flywheel.
The machine shop called and the 401 block will be going .040 over. The heads need a valve job and will get stainless steel guides. The crank will go to 20/20. So I'll build this one identical to the .040 over 401 I built for my 79'. The machine work is about $200 more than the last shop. I figure I'll come in right under $1500 for the entire engine when it's all said and done. I'll be pulling apart the 304 to donate the timing cover, oilpan and other misc parts I need for it.
I painted all of the hinges, brackets, bellhousing and the shifter floor plate yesterday. I had a few minutes today so i pulled the 304 apart for the oil pan, oil pickup and timing cover to use on the 401. I checked it out and the cylinders still have a nice crosshatch on them. Internally it is very clean and only has around 30k miles on it since it was bored out and rebuilt before I pulled it from my 79'. I'm gonna put it in a bag and store it just in case.
I had the machine shop install the cam bearings and freeze plugs on the 401 to save me a trip back there.
My ordered parts are starting to arrive and I found 401 rebuild kits online starting from $475 & up.
Twin sticks came today so I got them installed. D&D Fabrication Dana 300 twinsticks, simple and effective. Stainless steel construction. Still waiting for my Cragars to arrive so I can get this thing up on tires.
Wow... you have some great progress. I like the twin sticks.
Thanks Skerr, progress should pick up here for a bit. Lots of little projects going on. Next up is to strip and paint the timing cover and oil pan. Nothing major but it all ads up. Fedex is at the door now with some more parts...gotta run