A build thread: Import-ial judgement. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > A build thread: Import-ial judgement.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #31
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Had a couple more hours to work on the axle swap today. Got the driver side perch cut and drilled. Cleaned up the cut in the factory truss and hammered the perch in. I set the axle on place to see how everything fits and to get the angle of the perch to roughly match the existing passenger side.

image-4248750636.jpg

I've decided to use the factory SOA perches as part of my ubolt flip. I have to grind them a little so the u lots can fit by but the plan is to gusset them, as shown below, so they'll be plenty strong enough for when I tighten up the ubolts. The bolts will pass up through a 5/8 plate mounted on top of the factory perch.

image-1638444542.jpg

Hoping to get the 5/8 plates cut and drilled tomorrow so I can snug up the ubolts and set the weight of the jeep on the springs......then tack the new perch in place.

This last pic sort of shows the pinion angle. It's angled up quite a bit more than the D30 ever was so it should help for when I clock the tcase.

image-3410007485.jpg

'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 01:11 AM   #32
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

Switched to the rear axle for a fresh outlook on things. Got it painted, bolted in for the final time and installed new bearings, seals and brakes. Almost finished up the plumbing on the rear axle.....but my tubing bender (sitting on the ubolt plate) is a real ***** to work with. So I got a new one out of the fridge but the results got worse......go figure.

image-1794361338.jpg

All in all happy with the quality of the new line, the coors light bends turned out great, but will have to wait to see if the crappy Chinese flaring tool will actually provide a sealed joint.

Need two wheel studs, a driveline adapter and to finish the other hard line and the rear is ready for rims and rubber (minus the ebrake which is gonna need some imagineering)

image-1667595503.jpg

Hoping to have the front bolted in for the final time Monday afternoon and pick up the new 4x4 labs steering arms and DOM tie rod and drag link Tuesday. Goal is to drive the damn thing before I finish vacation on the 21st.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #33
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

I am STOKED! I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel on this damn axle swap!

For the first time in nearly 10 months the jeep supports its own weight.......sort of.

Got the tires put on the toyota rims and mounted the rears. Waiting on a driveshaft adapter and then the rear is complete, minus tightening the shackle bolts, figuring out how the ebrake will work, weldin on shock mounts and bleeding the brakes. While I was working on the rear I also laminated the fixed spring hangers.....the stock bolt holes had wallowed out at some point.

image-2972699648.jpg

I wasn't sure what I thought of the white wheels......but they are really growing on me!

image-3821076101.jpg

Also got the front third member tore down and installed the spartan locker.

image-4005792592.jpg

Plans for the evening are to get the front housing bolted in place then tomorrow start assembling the knuckles etc. as well as this beefiness from 4x4 labs:

image-1635978340.jpg

image-3951045123.jpg

image-830722196.jpg

image-311492549.jpg

The FJ80 tie rod ends aren't super beef like the one ton stuff but they are a huge improvement over oem jeep stuff.

I'm waiting on the H1 steering box but hopes are high to get it in for an alignment on Friday.
image-1364784145.jpg

Unread 07-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #34
1983 CJ7 

Cool, progress and a bunch of nice looking parts even though I have no clue where they belong on the Jeep
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #35
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

Well, no alignment today. The power steering hose and driveshaft adapters never came in....

But I got the front axle bolted in and the H1 box mounted. Probably wont drive it before vacation is over on Monday.......but it should be sitting on all fours......finally.

Unread 08-31-2013, 04:58 PM   #36
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

For the first time in 343 days it supports its own weight!

image-3396377514.jpg

image-4085007363.jpg

image-3766134956.jpg

Soooo close to a shakedown run. Power steering hoses are replaced, new front hard lines from classic tube (rears and lines to master still remaining), new soft lines to the knuckles. Have to fill the steering system, bleed the master cylinder and brake lines, put the steering shaft back in, install the driveshaft adapter flanges and mount the drive lines.

Unread 08-31-2013, 05:08 PM   #37
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Mike glad to see it supports its own weight after 343 days. Just think at this rate you will have the drive shafts installed for the Fourth of July 2014.

Oh wait now I remember your a Canadian that explains it all!
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #38
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra
Mike glad to see it supports its own weight after 343 days. Just think at this rate you will have the drive shafts installed for the Fourth of July 2014.

Oh wait now I remember your a Canadian that explains it all!
Lol, thanks George!

Unread 09-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #39
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Mike your welcome, now I must confess I was just at North Dakota University in Grand Forks ND to watch a collage football game.
We stayed at a Canada Inn that was attached to the NDU stadium and it offered American Versions of the Hamburger (whats that all about?).
NDU had both the Canadian Flag and the American Flag in the stadium and there were indications of the Canadian influence all around and this is a 150 miles to the Canuk border!
I later found out that Johnathan Towes played there his college days and hockey is the number one sport followed by football.

So Mike I must say that I have been itchin to pick on a Canuk for a couple of days now since I figured out North Dakota is a suburb of Canada!
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #40
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

It drives! And it only took 356 days, lol.

image-3945179490.jpg

Still have to put front drive shaft in, weld on diff armor and fill the diff with oil. Probably bleed the brakes once more as well. Gonna do a driveway alignment in the morning so I can putt around but so far the 4.30 gears are a vast improvement over the 3.31's.

All said and done I really like the look of the 2" front stretch. Really makes the wheel fit the lines of the front fenders better.

Unread 09-14-2013, 05:16 AM   #41
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Mike looks really good and congrats.
And as someone once said to me "whats up with the clown colors" on my engine thread, so I now return the comment "what up with the clown colors?"
Unread 09-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #42
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

Lol, thanks George. The blue fenders are meant to draw the eye away from the rust forming on the rockers!

Unread 09-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #43
W7NB
Educated Redneck

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
It drives! And it only took 356 days, lol.
Well, lets see... I'm up to 220 days and I still have a ton left before I can drive it. Now I know what my deadline is

I have a feeling I need to come wheel in your neck of the woods Mike. The scenery is a lot like Oregon but more open looking - and I bet you have more trails than people!

1985 CJ7 With HO 4.0 Conversion
2013 JK
W7NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #44
papa355
1977 CJ7 

lol, 356 days damn that's fast...........Owned my jeep for over 2 1/2 years, haven't had it in the mud yet

"I wouldn't have road rage, If you knew how to drive...."
papa355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 09:23 PM   #45
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

Well not much in the way of updates but I have finally wrapped up pretty much all the loose ends on the axle swap. Added to my leaf hangers to put the bolts in double shear, got the front bumper welded up and mounted, vent lines are hooked up, diffs topped up, brakes bled, front driveshaft mounted, exhaust welded.......The only outstanding item is to get the shock mounts figured out. Took it out for a little shakedown run this afternoon to get the shock measurements and make sure the tie rod and drag link stay out of the frame under flex. So far so good. image-243585387.jpg image-3621677898.jpg I'm pleased with the flex of the BDS springs, ever since I had installed them I hadn't driven the jeep enough to ever test them out off road. They have very few miles on them so for practically new I think they flex pretty well. I could have stuffed the rear more but I'll need to do a little trimming in the rear to get the 35's to clear. And the slope I tested the flex on was off camber so I didn't want to push my luck! One other thing to note, lockers are awesome! Still have to put the rear e-locker third member in but so far loving the front spartan.......aside from having to learn to wheel all over again. I'm going to try and keep up on the next upgrades with more pictures etc. I'm gathering up the rest of the parts to finish assembling the engine. The clocking/adapter ring for the ax15 to Dana 300 is on the way. And I'm compiling things for the hydraulic clutch, rear discs and hydroboost.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.