A build thread: Import-ial judgement. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > A build thread: Import-ial judgement.

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #16
W7NB
2013 JK Wrangler 

I'll be watching and comparing notes. At least your will be mainly CJ parts :-)

1985 CJ7 With HO 4.0 Conversion
2013 JK
W7NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #17
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Well, finally some progress. I got the front spring hangers made. In keeping with the bolt on method I made the angle iron 8" long so I could use two bolts through the frame rails and one of the original hanger holes.

Attachment 564172

image-1505630814.jpg

image-3696663602.jpg

The front axle is being moved forward 2" and as you can see the shackle eye is sitting pretty close to the end of the frame. But the bumper will take up the room and use the same 3/4" bolt at the front of the frame.....and both will be gusseted to the nuts.

image-3117921751.jpg

image-3166182847.jpg

I got the rear hanger locations marked so hopefully tonight or tomorrow ill get them cut off and make new mounts for them.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #18
DTCVTC
1986 CJ7 

I cant wait to see the axles in. I run 84 yota axles with 5.29s and ARBs
DTCVTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #19
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTCVTC
I cant wait to see the axles in. I run 84 yota axles with 5.29s and ARBs
Me either......this is taking way too freaking long! Lol. Wife and kids have a play date tomorrow so I should be able to get it close to being ready to accept springs.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
Unread 02-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #20
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

Well I got the spring hangers removed.......wouldn't have been nearly as bad if I hadn't positioned the jack stands right behind them. Doh! Got the outboard brackets made and welded the stock hangers onto them. I still have to laminate the holes with another piece of 1/4" to prevent the holes from wallowing out. Then drill and sleeve holes in the frame and I'll be ready to rehang the springs.

One problem though.......appears the spring hangers were out about 3/8" from the factory. When i pushed the mounts forward 2" all my marks and measurements were made relative to the center of the hanger bolt holes. So i have the hangers re-positioned but my center to center measurement between the hanger and shackle hanger is out about 3/8" from one side to the other. I've measured from several reference points and its consistent......problem is I don't know which side is correct. Can some one help a brotha out and post up a measurement for me?

Unread 02-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #21
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

watching.best of luck on your build
Unread 02-14-2013, 11:57 PM   #22
Jeepkid1995
1979 CJ7 

I remember stopping by to grab those wide track axles from you (and those lift leafs) and seeing that monster up on stands like that. I can't wait to see the finished product standing on it's own wheels!

-->350 time. '95 block SBC, stroked to 383, dremeled heads and big 'ol intake, maybe a Holley 750 CFM, not sure yet

--->"Safety? Buy a Volvo. Never buy a CJ, or a Chrysler Jeep knock off, for safety, fuel mileage, reliability, handling, ride, comfort, aerodynamics, quietness, convience, stability, low maintenance cost, performance, or ease of use. The only reason to buy a CJ is because you are absolutely, incurably nuts." -OldTexas
Jeepkid1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 05:26 AM   #23
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

C'mon, man, let's see less talk, and more work/pics.

I'll be following....

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #24
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
C'mon, man, let's see less talk, and more work/pics.

I'll be following....

Matt
Then get me a measurement so I don't have to move the truck load of crap burying my spare frame!

Should have pics up later with the completed outboard and hopefully the diff sitting on the springs........fingers crossed!

Unread 02-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #25
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid1995
I remember stopping by to grab those wide track axles from you (and those lift leafs) and seeing that monster up on stands like that. I can't wait to see the finished product standing on it's own wheels!
And speaking of less talk, more work/pics.......I don't see any updates coming from you!

Unread 02-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #26
Jeepkid1995
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
And speaking of less talk, more work/pics.......I don't see any updates coming from you!
Updates, eh? I ran outta problems to post about after I did the swap! Turns out you deal in some quality Jeep parts

Those axles and leafs were a plug and play, and they work great! Couldn't be happier with the way she rides and sits now. But mine were easy. Skill is actually required to hook up 'Yota axles. All the fabbing and what not. Really interested to see how it turns out

-->350 time. '95 block SBC, stroked to 383, dremeled heads and big 'ol intake, maybe a Holley 750 CFM, not sure yet

--->"Safety? Buy a Volvo. Never buy a CJ, or a Chrysler Jeep knock off, for safety, fuel mileage, reliability, handling, ride, comfort, aerodynamics, quietness, convience, stability, low maintenance cost, performance, or ease of use. The only reason to buy a CJ is because you are absolutely, incurably nuts." -OldTexas
Jeepkid1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #27
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

looks like a fun project to follow along with, I'll stick around and see this yota axle install if you don't mind.

David
2girlsAndaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #28
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

More progress.........almost feels like something is wrong! Lol

I searched around and others reported a center to center distance between the main hanger and shackle hanger of 43-1/8". I also dug down to my spare frame and it seemed to jive with that number. So both new main hangers were positioned as such and the bolt holes were drilled through the hanger and frame (small hole on the left)

image-4077214618.jpg

Then the holes were bored out to accommodate the sleeves (larger hole on the right above) which were then cut and welded into place (below)

image-2666230570.jpg

Only got one side done but should finish it up tomorrow. Here's a shot of the hanger in place with the spring installed (bolts not tightened yet)

image-2981784416.jpg

image-4209782489.jpg

Still need to add gussets to both hangers but they'll be more than adequate for mock up purposes.

Unread 02-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #29
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

Flying back to work today....unfortunately didn't get the drivers side sleeved. Only a week away and then back at it!

Unread 03-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #30
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

Well.....not as much progress this past days off as i had hoped. Finished up some welding and grinding on the frame sleeves for the drivers side. Having to pull the down pipe out and bend the brake lines out of the way sucked the motivation out of me to work on it further. . I had hoped to finish the perches but after my cut off wheel and grinding disks decided to run out at the same time that clinched it.

So I cleaned up the thousand tools that littered every square inch of floor and hood space and mounted my air hose reel so I could stop tripping over the darn thing.

Before I knocked off for the weekend I cut a hole in the stock Toyota housing gusset where the new drivers side SUA perch will reside. The good news is the axle tube underneath looks brand new! Those factory welds were definitely water and air tight.

image-3478457731.jpg

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.