Build thread-1957 CJ6 4.3 swap! - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Build thread-1957 CJ6 4.3 swap!

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 02-20-2011, 09:09 PM   #76
gpets
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpeltiltskin View Post
gpets I looked at all of your pictures and i must say you did a good job! I really like your ammo can idea, I may steal that idea from you. What trans and tcase did you end up using? Which adapters did you use where? Would you suggest buying the painless wiring harness or sorting through all the factory spaghetti? I am sure I will be coming back to you for many more questions as my project is pretty similar to yours. How do you like it now that it is all said and done?
All said and done it is the best investment I have made to the jeep yet. I opted for the factory spaghetti simply because it would cost $800 to get the PCM flashed with a painless harness. I used my original T-176 and Dana 300. Advanced adapters makes a bell housing that bolts the 4.3 to the 176, but I found out later that all I needed to do to adapt the two was drill and tap one hole in the original bell housing from the 4.3. I was originally goin gto put my PCM in the glove box but I had heard from others that extending the wiring harness was not a good idea so the air and water tight ammo can works well. Good luck, don't be afraid to PM me with anything, I have made every mistake possible with this swap.

gpets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #77
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpets View Post
All said and done it is the best investment I have made to the jeep yet.
Thats EXACTLY what I wanted to hear!

I think I am going to go with a SM420, SM465, or wait until next winter when I will hopefully have more money and buy a proper T18 rebuilt, adapted, and ready to go from novak, herm, or somebody like that. I have seen a few tractors in the fields lately which makes me realize I have pretty much pissed away my entire winter looking for a transmission(and screwing around with snowmobiles ) I was looking on novak's site and all I need is a credit card and a phone and I can be in business...very tempting. I am sure the sm420 route would be quite a bit cheaper but it is just so big and bulky that I think it would give me trouble later with routing things, exhaust, fuel lines, etc. Now I'm just rambling...I will leave it at that for now.
Rumpeltiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 06:32 PM   #78
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

So I have called a couple junk yards and I couldn't believe what I found out. Nobody even has an SM420 and for a used high mileage SM465 they still want 400-500 bucks!!! That is rediculous!!! They had to have made millions of those transmissions over the years, its not like they are rare!! If I am gonna spend that kind of money I am now thinking about going with a newer 5 speed so I at least get overdrive out of the deal. I know they are not as heavy duty but in reality I am gonna be looking at around 200 HP, not some 500 HP fire breather spinning 54 inch tires so I think a 5 speed will last a long time. So now I am thinking NV3500. Any opinions on a NV3500? What is a fair price to pay for one of these? I did a little googling research and so far I know to get a later version that only has 1 shift rail because the earlier ones had 4 and it was just a bad design. I know I would have to buy an adapter for the tcase but at least it would bolt right up to the engine with stock parts inluding hydraulic clutch which is a huge bonus I am really getting frustrated here I NEED you guys to raise my spirits a little.
Unread 03-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #79
ChicoXJ
1986 XJ Cherokee 

$450 is what I paid for a good SM465 in Cali.
ChicoXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2011, 08:32 PM   #80
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

Anybody have some insight on the nv3500? Maybe a different trans? I am wide open to suggestions!
Unread 03-31-2011, 08:57 PM   #81
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpeltiltskin View Post
Anybody have some insight on the nv3500? Maybe a different trans? I am wide open to suggestions!
Im looking to use one myself. Its a pretty stout tranny to use. Its load rated at about 350lbs from what i have read. I plan to put it behind a 4.8L stroker.

Ben
Unread 04-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #82
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

Are you looking for a Chevy NP3500 or a Jeep NP3550? not the same trans. The bell don't come off the Chevy one. Do they make a adaptor for a Chevy 3500 to your Dana 18 transfer case? The S10s used the NP3500 and if I remember right a 241 transfer? Think it would be easer, cheaper, to clock a dana 300 to it and replace the rear axle. You would not need your o/d as the 3500 is a o/d 5 speed. Just remember the S10s were dirver side drop transfer cases.
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #83
papa355
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986cj View Post
Are you looking for a Chevy NP3500 or a Jeep NP3550? not the same trans. The bell don't come off the Chevy one. Do they make a adaptor for a Chevy 3500 to your Dana 18 transfer case? The S10s used the NP3500 and if I remember right a 241 transfer? Think it would be easer, cheaper, to clock a dana 300 to it and replace the rear axle. You would not need your o/d as the 3500 is a o/d 5 speed. Just remember the S10s were dirver side drop transfer cases.

I think he said NV3500, is there a NB3500, or did you just mis type, or did I just misread? jus asking.
papa355 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #84
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

Well I got a good deal on craigslist. I bought another jeep! It is a 66 cj5 with waggy axles sm420 trans dauntless engine warn overdrive pto winch lockers front and rear and fairly new 33 inch bfg mud terrains. I am gonna drive it like I stole it(I kind of did) this summer and next winter the trans and axles are gonna be under the cj6. To be continued...
Unread 12-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #85
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

Well farming season is over and jeep rebuilding time is here! To bring newcomers up to speed here is the plan. I have an ORANGE 1957 cj6 with a f134, t90, dana 18 with overdrive and dana 25 and 44 axles. When finished it will have a 4.3 vortec, sm420, dana18 with overdrive and waggy axles. Last summer I bought another jeep complete and running and it is a GREEN 1966 cj5 with: dauntless v6, sm420, dana 18 with overdrive and 77 wagoneer axles with disc brakes on all 4 corners and 33x12.50 bfg muds in very good shape.I started with disassembly of the green jeep(66 cj 5, read above) Yesterday I removed the sm 420 and dana 18 tcase and all attached components in 1 big chunk of iron. after some very rough measurements this drivetrain package including the engine is roughly 7 inches longer than the original f134, T90, dana 18 combo. The majority of the extra length is in the tranny to tcase adapter. As long as i dont run into trouble with firewall clearance the extra length should not be a problem at all being that it is going in a cj 6 and that it came out of a cj5 that seemed to work ok, not great but not bad either. I bolted the sm 420 up to the 4.3 with the bellhousing i got with the engine and it bolted up with zero problems! Thank goodness! I think the next step is to pull the old engine, trans, tcase out of the orange jeep(1957 cj6) and start figuring out where exactly the new setup needs to be. I am thinking there will be alot of trial and error here. since the body is off it should make it a lot easier. I'm not going to worry about swapping the axles,steering, brakes etc. until the drivetrain mounted and is at least tacked in place and the engine is running, that way if I run into time troubles at the end of the winter i can run the stock stuff if I have to. I'm not going through another summer without a jeep! I included a couple pictures of what the new setup looks like.
12-7-11.jpg   12-7-111.jpg  
Unread 12-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #86
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

Well it has been about a week and i haven't gotten any further. I need motivation from you guys! What should I do next? I'm thinking pull the old drivetrain out and start figuring out where the new stuff is going to fit. Anything I should do before pulling out the old stuff?
Unread 12-14-2011, 07:50 PM   #87
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Um, what are you going to do with the Dauntless and the original T-90? Are you willing to part with one of the transfer cases? Please PM me with details.

My old girl is all original and is showing her age with many noises. Your left over parts could breathe life back into her if we can discuss a good price...
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #88
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

Today I finished removing the old motor mounts, battery tray that someone had welded to the frame, and the 55 year old master cylinder. The frame is almost ready for new things to get welded to it! I also pulled the grill and radiator off of the green jeep and set it on orange jeep just for visual reference and realized thats the first "new" part to touch the orange jeep.

Ok so it looks more like blue in the picture but I assure you that it is green
grill.jpg  

2000 WJ Limited bone stock (Wifes rig)
Unread 02-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #89
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

I haven't worked on the jeep at since my last post. Other things have been taking all my time. The latest has been a 2006 dodge cummins that decided to drop a valve into the cylinder and then swapping in a used engine into it and then that one dropping a valve within the first 5 miles! You can read all about it on cumminsforum if you are interested. Any way i scooped the snow off of the jeep body and moved it back into the shop today. while i had it lifted up i walked under it and reminded myself how rotten the floor is on it. I found a complete floor replacement panel from walcks 4wd that would definitaly save me a bunch of time in fabrication but 700 bucks is alot of money. Here is the website http://walcks4wd.com/front-floor-with-braces-cj5.html
Has anybody used this panel before or one similar to it? Is there any other place where I can get something similar?

Unread 02-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #90
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

I got the engine, trans, tcase loosely in place where I think it needs to be. I have just enough clearance in the back for the distributor and on the front of the engine I am lacking about and inch and a half clearance for a radiator. The water pump pulley sticks out the furthest and I think if I got a short style water pump I would be good to go. I already knew I was gonna be running an electric fan setup of some sort so that wasn't a surprise. I don't have a clue how people get v8s in these old jeeps! Does anybody know a good source for a shorter style water pump? The one on this engine sticks out approx 6.75" from the block if that helps. I would like to keep the serpentine belt system intact if possible for simplicity and also I think it would be more compact then v belts too. Help me out here fellas, don't give up on me yet!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.