Build thread-1957 CJ6 4.3 swap! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Build thread-1957 CJ6 4.3 swap!

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-30-2010, 07:24 AM   #46
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

I emailed novak last night and they emailed me back..we cannot send out the instructions, however we have on occasion sold the instructions before the purchase of a rebuild kit and then credit the instruction price towards the kit price.

I said thanks, but no thanks.

Rumpeltiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #47
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

I just discovered something else! If I move my entire drivetrain back about 6 inches my transfer case shifters are then going to be about 6 inches further back also. This is going to put them underneath the passenger seat!!! What do I do to relocate the twin stick setup that is cast in with the dana18 tcase!?!?
Unread 11-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #48
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

I called novak and advance adapters and they say they have nothing available to solve this problem. They both pretty much said you have to bend the levers and cut new holes in your floor in order to retain the dana18 Oh well this is probably just ONE of those things that I forgot about when dreaming up this conversion.
Unread 12-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #49
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpeltiltskin View Post
I have a new problem I think...I was looking through some of the stuff that came with my engine and tranny and noticed that I cannot turn the transmission by hand unless it is in neutral! Is this normal? I sure would think you would be able to turn it by hand fairly easy, especially in low gear!

I just remembered that I havent even told you guys what trans I am going to use!!! Chevy 4.3 out of a 2000 s10 blazer mated to a T98 4 SPEED TRANS which will then be mated to my current dana 18 tcase which will send power to my bone stock dana 44 and dana 25 axles (we will see how long I can make the dana 25 last with 3 times the HP!)

Now back to my question... I try to turn it hard enough until it hurt my hands and then I quit. So I need to at least take the top cover off and have a look see at what might be causing this but before I even remove the top cover/shifter I want to have a good reference to look at. When I rebuilt my dana 18 tcase I got the instructions from novak's website but I can't seem to find anything on the t98! maybe novak has since removed their instructions for some reason? So my question is if somebody can point me in a direction to getting good reliable instructions of some sort?
I tore down the T98 pretty far...as far as I want to with these poor instructions anyway, I compared what I had with what the pictures looked like in the book and it looks like it was assembled correctly but it simply cant be because I reassembled and it still does the same thing, stuck in high gear. I think it has to to with the 3rd 4th syncro but it looks complicated and as soon as I slide that shift collar out it looks like there are 4 "uh-oh" springs and balls inside of it. Does ANYBODY have a decent rebuild manual for this trans that I can look at??
Unread 12-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #50
MAX_56_SIX
1956 CJ6 

I'm in the process of building a 56 myself looks like we will both be working out cooling problems as the 4.3 is such a tight fit
MAX_56_SIX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #51
MAX_56_SIX
1956 CJ6 

right now im looking at makeing a pickup cab from a cj5 hard top if i can find one
MAX_56_SIX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 08:22 AM   #52
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

I have a koenig iron works half cab for mine. It looks great. See if you can find one of those but I have a hunch they are kinda rare.
Unread 12-08-2010, 08:58 AM   #53
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

I shot 3 detent balls and springs across the shop yesterday out of the T98...I found lots of neat stuff from a long time ago in the cracks of the cement...but still missing one ball
Unread 12-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #54
drummer31779
1978 CJ5 

I just contacted the US Patent office and applied for your flatbed....lol....j/k....Whole thing is gonna look great when done.!
drummer31779 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2010, 01:26 PM   #55
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

I am still fighting my tranny woes...I got the trans put back together and it now shifts through all the gears well but it doesn't bolt up to the adapter that i have. I think I am going to have to find a t18 out of a ford and then put my guts into that to make it work. PITA!!!

ps-PETA=People Eating Tasty Animals
Unread 12-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #56
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

Just a thought before jumping into a Ford T18, What transfer case center input locating bore does your Dana 18 have? It will be either 3-5/32" (most common for a 18) or 4"? I am not sure but I don't think you can use a 4" adaptor on a 3-5/32" bore, or a 3-5/32" on a Ford T18 as the rear bearing of the trans will differ in size and locates the adaptor. I know Novak makes one for each bore size for a Ford T18 and they wont interchange. I would first , find out what size the bore size of the transfercase is, Second, what size the adaptor is, and then find a trans that will fit the adaptor. Does the adaptor not fit up to the T98 because of the bearing size? If I remember right I think the T98 was only used with the Dana 20 and all 20s have the 4" bore size. Hope this helps.
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2010, 08:00 AM   #57
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

i think you are right on all accounts. I am 99% sure my tcase is the small hole but I am not going to buy anything until I am 100% sure. I need to go down to the junk yard and see if they have any t18's or 98s laying around that I can measure and match up with my bellhousing and tcase. I might do that today.
Unread 12-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #58
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

Dont over look the IH Scouts and travelalls, no one ever looks at them but you can find a T18 and a dana 20 in some of them. Trans out of one would cost way more than it is worth to mate to a Jeep but the mainshaft will silde right into a Ford T18 2 wheel drive trans, and adding the adaptor to the rear face of the 2 wheel drive trans is simple to do. I have seen a Scout T18 with a dana 20 on it already out just laying on the ground before. I still dont know why I didnt take the adaptor as I am sure they have no idea of what it is and would have got it for 5 or 10 bucks.
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #59
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

International stuff is few and far between around here, and if you do find one the owners think they are gold...which they are not.
Unread 12-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #60
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

I got the hotsy out today...much better! This jeep has never been this clean since it left the factory. Check out my lift kit!
img00417-20101220-1105.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.