Build thread-1957 CJ6 4.3 swap! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Build thread-1957 CJ6 4.3 swap!

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-24-2010, 04:34 PM   #31
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Hey I was in Colorado a few years back and saw a flatbed on a CJ. I thought it looked great!

There's lots of benefits from posting pictures on here. You'll get great feedback and people on here are just down right generous with offering encouragement and I bet somebody at some point will build a flatbed just because they liked yours. You should take that as a compliment.

Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 04:35 PM   #32
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Hey I was in Colorado a few years back and saw a flatbed on a CJ. I thought it looked great!

There's lots of benefits from posting pictures on here. You'll get great feedback and people on here are just down right generous with offering encouragement and I bet somebody at some point will build a flatbed just because they liked yours. You should take that as a compliment.
I will take it as a compliment! I know all about the benefits of the people on this forum. I have layed low in the shadows on here for years and just soaked up info like a sponge. You guys are great! I finally came to my senses and said if somebody makes a flatbed on their cj go ahead and do it and furthermore I will even help them out along the way! The only thing I will caution them about is your jeep is now a 2 seater and always will be, which was great until 1 year later when my son was born....ever tried to put a car seat and 2 adults across the front of a cj6?...it works but it isn't at all comfortable....and maybe not the safest either
Rumpeltiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #33
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

Let me bounce this idea off you guys. I am thinking when I put the body back on I may go with a 1"body lift...what are you guys' thoughts on that? pros and cons?
Unread 11-26-2010, 05:14 PM   #34
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I'll tell you something else you'll find about sharing your ideas and plans on what you want to do, somebody else may just have an idea that will make it even better than you thought it could be. I can't count the times when somebody has made a comment on my idea and I have thought how great their idea is. I have changed plans because of it too!!

A 1" body lift is pretty common. You doing it to get tire clearance or just a different look?
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #35
xWhite420wIDOWx
1967 CJ5 

That flatbed is sweet...
xWhite420wIDOWx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 05:22 PM   #36
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

Tire clearance is definately an added bonus when I get the money to buy bigger tires but the main reason is so I can raise the whole drivetrain about an inch or so...my goal is to keep the trans/tcase at or above the bottom of the framerails. I can't tell you how many times I got to the top of a hill and hit the trans skidplate and then had to back down...well over 100 times! Those are the ONLY times I beleive a cj5 is superior to a cj6. Don't get me wrong I still love cj5's but the ol cj6 holds a soft spot in my heart.
Unread 11-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #37
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

I like the flat bed... Are you going to build wheel wells for it? I bet that would make it look even better to have some gen-right style tube fenders except using diamond plate instead of the regular flat steel. Also I would add more to the sides and back to cover the frame so you can't see it.
Unread 11-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #38
kconnor123
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpeltiltskin View Post
Tire clearance is definately an added bonus when I get the money to buy bigger tires but the main reason is so I can raise the whole drivetrain about an inch or so...my goal is to keep the trans/tcase at or above the bottom of the framerails. I can't tell you how many times I got to the top of a hill and hit the trans skidplate and then had to back down...well over 100 times! Those are the ONLY times I beleive a cj5 is superior to a cj6. Don't get me wrong I still love cj5's but the ol cj6 holds a soft spot in my heart.
I think you'll need a suspension lift to get the drivetrain any higher. A body lift is just gonna lift you and the body 1" higher on the frame. The drivetrain will stay put, which includes your skidplates.

You could go with a 1" shackle lift if you need to do it on the inexpensive, that would raise your drivetrains ride height and be significantly cheaper than new springs.
kconnor123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 09:18 PM   #39
1983 CJ7 

Looks like a cool project although I would rather see you resurrect the CJ6
Unread 11-29-2010, 02:50 PM   #40
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kconnor123 View Post
I think you'll need a suspension lift to get the drivetrain any higher. A body lift is just gonna lift you and the body 1" higher on the frame. The drivetrain will stay put, which includes your skidplates.

You could go with a 1" shackle lift if you need to do it on the inexpensive, that would raise your drivetrains ride height and be significantly cheaper than new springs.
You are right and wrong....I was thinking doing the body lift would then allow me to mount the engine, trans, tcase 1 inch higher than normal also...kind of like making my own "belly up kit" also on a side note I replaced all four leaf springs when I rebuilt the f134 about 4 years ago so I am not changing them out for quite some time (I hope)
Unread 11-29-2010, 03:09 PM   #41
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

I have a new problem I think...I was looking through some of the stuff that came with my engine and tranny and noticed that I cannot turn the transmission by hand unless it is in neutral! Is this normal? I sure would think you would be able to turn it by hand fairly easy, especially in low gear!

I just remembered that I havent even told you guys what trans I am going to use!!! Chevy 4.3 out of a 2000 s10 blazer mated to a T98 4 SPEED TRANS which will then be mated to my current dana 18 tcase which will send power to my bone stock dana 44 and dana 25 axles (we will see how long I can make the dana 25 last with 3 times the HP!)

Now back to my question... I try to turn it hard enough until it hurt my hands and then I quit. So I need to at least take the top cover off and have a look see at what might be causing this but before I even remove the top cover/shifter I want to have a good reference to look at. When I rebuilt my dana 18 tcase I got the instructions from novak's website but I can't seem to find anything on the t98! maybe novak has since removed their instructions for some reason? So my question is if somebody can point me in a direction to getting good reliable instructions of some sort?
Unread 11-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #42
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpeltiltskin View Post
I have a new problem I think...I was looking through some of the stuff that came with my engine and tranny and noticed that I cannot turn the transmission by hand unless it is in neutral! Is this normal? I sure would think you would be able to turn it by hand fairly easy, especially in low gear!

I just remembered that I havent even told you guys what trans I am going to use!!! Chevy 4.3 out of a 2000 s10 blazer mated to a T98 4 SPEED TRANS which will then be mated to my current dana 18 tcase which will send power to my bone stock dana 44 and dana 25 axles (we will see how long I can make the dana 25 last with 3 times the HP!)

Now back to my question... I try to turn it hard enough until it hurt my hands and then I quit. So I need to at least take the top cover off and have a look see at what might be causing this but before I even remove the top cover/shifter I want to have a good reference to look at. When I rebuilt my dana 18 tcase I got the instructions from novak's website but I can't seem to find anything on the t98! maybe novak has since removed their instructions for some reason? So my question is if somebody can point me in a direction to getting good reliable instructions of some sort?
You might have said it, and I missed it... is the tranny connected to the engine?

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #43
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Got a quick question for ya. What is the shifter next to the tranny shifter for? Is it for an overdrive unit, or a PTO? Curious, more then anything!!

Jerry
Unread 11-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #44
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

The tranny is sitting on the floor by itself, nothing hooked to it. The lever is for my Warn Overdrive (I wish I still had my pto also, then I would have 5 levers!!! If somebody donated an overdrive to pto adapter to me I would write up a sweet on board air build!)

So I went against my own advice and took the top cover off. I was trying to spin the gears by hand and what i thought was neutral really wasn't. It seems as if it is in I believe 4th (1:1) gear all the time and when you move any of the shifter sleeves it locks up...can anybody tell me what was installed wrong before I have to disassemble everything and start over?

ps. I found that my "Jeep Rebuilders Manual" does have a step by step rebuild guide in it for a T98a/t18, but it is just that, a rebuild guide, no tips or hints as to figure out who did what wrong. Were these trannys so similar that you can use the same rebuild guide for both the t98a and the t18?
Unread 11-30-2010, 05:50 AM   #45
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

I had a couple buddies come over last night to help pull the body off. It comes off much better if you remove ALL of the body mount bolts I will try to get pictures up today. This is the point that I am asking myself "There was absolutely nothing wrong with this Jeep....what have I done to it?"

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.