Build thread-1957 CJ6 4.3 swap! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Build thread-1957 CJ6 4.3 swap!

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #16
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

Back in the day when I was a kid, Hudson steering boxs were a common swap in early CJs. I don't remember for sure but I don't think they came apart, well easly apart.

1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #17
MMPSM
1959 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamillyCJ7 View Post
Not wanting to post pictures due to stealing idea's and not getting credit? That's what the forum is for is for getting idea's and learning new things and helping people out. Who cares if someone likes your bed idea and copies it, it will more than likely happen sooner or later anyways unless you plan on never driving the thing and keeping it out of sight.

I'm sorry but that's just I don't even know what to call it

I'd be really surprised if you are the only and 1st person to make a flatbed CJ6. Unless pictures are posted this thread is useless

Oh and a flatbed CJ has been done before:
Looks like an extended CJ7 to me . . .
MMPSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 10:54 PM   #18
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMPSM View Post
Looks like an extended CJ7 to me . . .
I said flat bed CJ, didn't say it was a CJ6.... nearly stating the obvious that he more than likely is not the first to come up with a flatbed CJ6.
Unread 11-20-2010, 07:10 AM   #19
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I was excited about the possibility of a 4.3 in a CJ. But this looks like a Dead Thread!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #20
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

I have been toying with the idea of dropping a 4.3 tbi in my 86 CJ7. I will have to transfer every thing into mine as I have to remain smog legal. My biggest hang up is the bellhousing. I will need to keep the T5 for a while. I would change out the T5 for a AX15 or NV3550 but that will have to be down the road. Everything I have read is that all 4.3s came with the large 168 tooth flywheel and changing to the smaller 153 tooth will change the rotating mass and drop the torque a lot so that rules out the iron duke bell. Changing out the T5 later rules out AA's 450.00 bell. I have also heard that some of the last years Gm used the T5 in the S10 blazers had the Ford bolt pattern but have never seen one yet. So the search goes on.
Unread 11-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #21
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

Ok so here are the pictures of the steering wheel to help identify what kind of vehicle it came from. I have gotten over the fact that I was being selfish about the flatbed pictures and whatnot so those pictures will be coming soon! I promise! Anyhow, I have gotten the steering box completely torn apart and removed from the jeep altogether. I think it is time for the body to come off! Here are the things I have removed: steering box and column, radiator, battery, hood, windshield, fuel tank, drivers seat, fuel lines, complete heater assembly(may or may not get reinstalled), center section of the floor, brake clutch and gas pedals.
Things that have been disconnected but not removed completely:all engine wiring, tail light wiring, speedo cable, some misc. wires under the dash(unintentional, they were zip tied to the heater and they became disconnected ) So I guess my question this time around is if anybody can help me out with what the steering came out of just because I am still curious. and am I missing anything that needs to be diconnected/removed before I lift the body off? (yes I know I need to remove the body mount bolts)
jeepsteeringwheel1.jpg   jeepsteeringwheel2.jpg  
Rumpeltiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 09:45 PM   #22
83vert
1982 CJ7 

What the???
Unread 11-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #23
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

weird huh!?! It is also much larger in diameter than a normal jeep steering wheel.
Unread 11-22-2010, 10:08 PM   #24
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986cj View Post
Back in the day when I was a kid, Hudson steering boxs were a common swap in early CJs. I don't remember for sure but I don't think they came apart, well easly apart.
I think you are right! I googled "old hudson steering wheel" and this picture came up! It sure looks the same! Mine used to have that horn lever too but I cut it off. funny how all this time I thought it was a pontiac wheel
1949hudsonsteeringwheel.jpg  
Unread 11-22-2010, 10:48 PM   #25
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

Yep Hudson all the way. It was Hudson/Nash or something like that, that became AMC or AMC bought up Hudson/Nash. I don't remember now. Back in the late 60s and early 70s Hudson was a very common swap to CJs as it was as easy to turn and steer as the power steering we have now days.
Unread 11-24-2010, 08:20 AM   #26
MMPSM
1959 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpeltiltskin View Post
Ok I have officially began the project! I drove the jeep into its place of rest for the next few months where it will be beat on, spit on, cussed at, torched, welded, hoisted, jacked up, cussed at, spilled on, ignored, spit on, and cussed at.
And thus it begins...

Step 1 was supposed to be to pull the body off of the frame and leave as much as I could intact(engine,trans, driveshafts, etc) Thus far I have unhooked all the engine wiring, drained the coolant, removed the drivers seat, hood, and windshield. I was moving right along and already hit a snag at the steering box. I have always known that this steering box was never meant to be in a jeep, however it worked quite well so I left it alone. Now I want to remove the entire steering column and I cant get it out of the box. I will try to get pictures up as soon as I can but for now the only info on the box that I can give you is: it is not a jeep box, it is not a saginaw setup, and it is possibly from a pontiac of some sort? So I guess my question is if somebody can tell me how to get the column seperated from the box before I give up and get Mr. Choppy out (sawzall).

PS I am most likely going to convert to saginaw steering during the process of the engine swap if finances are present (I am hoping)
I have a couple of '59 CJ6's, one actually in Colorado. Interested in your treatment of Fan Tunnel and Radiator. When you get there.

MMSM
Unread 11-24-2010, 08:23 AM   #27
MMPSM
1959 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpeltiltskin View Post
I think you are right! I googled "old hudson steering wheel" and this picture came up! It sure looks the same! Mine used to have that horn lever too but I cut it off. funny how all this time I thought it was a pontiac wheel
Back in the day, Hudson boxes were routinely swapped into CJ's because the Hudson box was bigger and made turning less "armstrong" and more power. The extra added attraction was the great wheel. Though it was a little like driving a bus. Put one in my CJ2A
Unread 11-24-2010, 11:54 AM   #28
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

Here are the pictures you have all been waiting for(finally found my digital camera) This is how the project looks as of right now. and yes there is a sneak peek of the flatbed there too.
s5032766.jpg   s5032767.jpg   s5032768.jpg   s5032769.jpg   s5032770.jpg  

Unread 11-24-2010, 11:58 AM   #29
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

Here's 5 more
s5032771.jpg   s5032772.jpg   s5032773.jpg   s5032774.jpg   s5032776.jpg  

Unread 11-24-2010, 03:42 PM   #30
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

COOOL! The bed looks great.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.