Build thread-1957 CJ6 4.3 swap! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Build thread-1957 CJ6 4.3 swap!

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

Build thread-1957 CJ6 4.3 swap!

Ok I have officially began the project! I drove the jeep into its place of rest for the next few months where it will be beat on, spit on, cussed at, torched, welded, hoisted, jacked up, cussed at, spilled on, ignored, spit on, and cussed at.
And thus it begins...

Step 1 was supposed to be to pull the body off of the frame and leave as much as I could intact(engine,trans, driveshafts, etc) Thus far I have unhooked all the engine wiring, drained the coolant, removed the drivers seat, hood, and windshield. I was moving right along and already hit a snag at the steering box. I have always known that this steering box was never meant to be in a jeep, however it worked quite well so I left it alone. Now I want to remove the entire steering column and I cant get it out of the box. I will try to get pictures up as soon as I can but for now the only info on the box that I can give you is: it is not a jeep box, it is not a saginaw setup, and it is possibly from a pontiac of some sort? So I guess my question is if somebody can tell me how to get the column seperated from the box before I give up and get Mr. Choppy out (sawzall).

PS I am most likely going to convert to saginaw steering during the process of the engine swap if finances are present (I am hoping)

Rumpeltiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
Jeepican
1976 CJ5 

With a 57 cj6 build thread you HAVE to have some pics for us!

"Oh, you're just full of fun today, aren't you? Why don't we go up to the old people's home and wax the steps?"
-Barney Fife-
Jeepican is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

getting in early on this one! Subscribed!
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

I know i know i need pictures...I have been afraid to post pictures because I have built a flatbed for the back a couple years ago and it is pretty awesome...awesome enough I think people would steal my idea and i wouldn't get any credit for it. It was MY IDEA! Sorry I am kinda weird about it.
Unread 11-12-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
NCJ06
2011 JK Wrangler 

I'm in too. Hope to see some pics soon.
NCJ06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpeltiltskin View Post
I know i know i need pictures...I have been afraid to post pictures because I have built a flatbed for the back a couple years ago and it is pretty awesome...awesome enough I think people would steal my idea and i wouldn't get any credit for it. It was MY IDEA! Sorry I am kinda weird about it.
Ok, that raises this question in my mind. If you're worried about people stealing your ideas and not giving you "credit," why are you even posting on a public forum? My assumption is that pretty much every Jeeper on this forum is interested in seeing other Jeepers' work and sharing ideas. Not becoming internet sensations because of all the credit for their work. It's not like you can patent it and profit from it. So what if someone copies your work? Imitation is the ultimate form of flattery.
Pathkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
Jeepican
1976 CJ5 

well if you are not comfortable posting pics.. then a build thread is worthless....

"Oh, you're just full of fun today, aren't you? Why don't we go up to the old people's home and wax the steps?"
-Barney Fife-
Jeepican is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

I am not afraid of people imitating me or profitting off of it. if anybody does use my idea I don't have a problem with it. However if somebody asks where you came up with the idea don't say it was your original idea because it wasn't..it was mine. I'm sorry I made an impression that I was selfish or something. I will post pictures soon. Besides this is a thread for my engine swap and other related things that go with an engine swap. Not a thread for my flatbed idea. So how bout that steering box?
Unread 11-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #9
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

Not wanting to post pictures due to stealing idea's and not getting credit? That's what the forum is for is for getting idea's and learning new things and helping people out. Who cares if someone likes your bed idea and copies it, it will more than likely happen sooner or later anyways unless you plan on never driving the thing and keeping it out of sight.

I'm sorry but that's just I don't even know what to call it

I'd be really surprised if you are the only and 1st person to make a flatbed CJ6. Unless pictures are posted this thread is useless

Oh and a flatbed CJ has been done before:
Unread 11-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #10
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
I am not afraid of people imitating me or profitting off of it. if anybody does use my idea I don't have a problem with it. However if somebody asks where you came up with the idea don't say it was your original idea because it wasn't..it was mine. I'm sorry I made an impression that I was selfish or something. I will post pictures soon. Besides this is a thread for my engine swap and other related things that go with an engine swap. Not a thread for my flatbed idea. So how bout that steering box?

I'm not trying to be mean, this forum is for CJ owners to help each other. Without a picture of the box I don't know. Maybe if you can post a picture of the box and the steering shafts someone on here can help out.
Unread 11-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #11
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

A guy in Hawaii build a flatbed for his 6 a couple years ago: Converting the 6 to a "Brute"? - Early CJ5.com > Forums

Let's hope he didn't "steal" your idea.
Unread 11-12-2010, 02:47 PM   #12
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

I may have to delete this thread and start over....
Unread 11-12-2010, 05:01 PM   #13
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
I may have to delete this thread and start over....
Just post pics and someone will probably be able to help you
There are alot of experienced mechanics on here.
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #14
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathkiller View Post
Ok, that raises this question in my mind. If you're worried about people stealing your ideas and not giving you "credit," why are you even posting on a public forum? My assumption is that pretty much every Jeeper on this forum is interested in seeing other Jeepers' work and sharing ideas. Not becoming internet sensations because of all the credit for their work. It's not like you can patent it and profit from it. So what if someone copies your work? Imitation is the ultimate form of flattery.
TRUE!!

Post pics and EVERYbody will feel better. We want to help!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #15
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

Yea everyone he is helpful, VERY helpful. If you want to keep the flat bed a secret then cover it when taking pictures. We don't have to see the bed to see the steering box and shaft.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.