At a build cross road - lol - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > At a build cross road - lol

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-15-2010, 06:30 AM   #1
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

At a build cross road - lol

Well I finally got my drivetrain all back together, for those that don't know it's this:

83 CJ7: 360/727/twin sticked d300
Currently lift is about 5.25" (this is going to change too)
Stock axles (that will change and where my options are now)

Now I heard about how the 727 and front driveshaft issue can be, and yep good god it's close even with my lift setup. So I've been mulling over what to do, both with suspension and with axle setup. Overall plan is to run a 36" super swamper - mainly a play toy for trails, mud, rocks - hopefully some highway driving, but if it won't I am not loosing sleep over it.

Option 1
*Waggy D44 front/rear setup (4.88 gears lockers front / rear)
*44044 springs rear (possibly front too) stretching rear back for sure the approx 2"
*Not sure about front due to steering though
*Rear is spring over so going back to close to stock shackles
*Front SUA, so will have to do something different to level out susp
*will have to do full width hanger mod on front

Option 2
*Chevy D44 front (flat tops, high steer, 1ton TREs, 4.56s)
*Rear - 14b ff, 4.56 gears
*44044 front/rear - both obviously spring over
*leary about how much lift this will be - probably what close to 8" of lift?

I've found some local axles, the waggys right now, and the D44 front. Figure the 14b is pretty easy to find with the 4.56 setup too. The chevy 44 is much closer to home (by a few hours), but the current setup is pricey, though its setup so won't have to do outboard spring hangers. Wanting to keep the axle cost under $1k, which the axle sets listed they are so far. Need some lift in front, at least 6" so I will feel "safer" on drive shaft clearance, and I plan on bump stopping more on the passenger side. I hate getting to high for COG, and flex reasons which is going to be a catch 22 on my setup. So yeah guess I'm justing throwing this out for suggestions, ideas, whatever - lol

92XJT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
rishar1
1973 CJ5 

If your worried about your COG then anything over 6 inchs is too much. If you want to run 36" tires I would suggest going with a 4" lift and the get a nice set of tube fenders and trim the back as needed. With that setup you should be able to run 36" tires safely.

Now my opinion on the axles.

I would go with the waggy axles, either one would work fine but I just like keeping my parts in the jeep family. I would also consider doing a YJ spring swap on the fronts, they are wider and have better flex and a smoother ride, also less likely to flatten out over time.

Hope this helps and good luck with the build.
rishar1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

I almost went with the chevy 44, but then got to thinking I didn't want my tires sticking that far out, and to cut down axles would be too pricey for me. Got a waggy rear 44 lined up now that is fairly close to home, and setup nicely. 4.88 gears, detroit locker, disc brakes, and link kit. Going to start shopping for a 76-79 waggy front now, and go spring over.

4" of lift won't cut it unfortunately due to using the TF727 - I have 5.5" lift and its close. So probably going with my plan of SOA and 44044 springs - more then likely a longer bump stop on the passenger side to limit any fighting between driveshaft and tranny pan. Also if I get this axle setup for a linked rear, I may play around and do something back there - lol.
92XJT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.