buick 231 even fire motor with odd fire points distributor.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > buick 231 even fire motor with odd fire points distributor..

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 02-28-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
robdoggydog1
1970 CJ5 

buick 231 even fire motor with odd fire points distributor..

just got this 1970 cj5 motor had been changed to a buick 231 even fire according to the engine code. it has a points distributor with what i belive is a odd fire with a even fire cap! also i was told it has a mild cam installed so.... i have the old cam and also a hei even fire he was going to throw in but its not vac. advance its elect. advance, so i was thinking it may have been the stock distributor but now this motor has no computer to control it.
so if the stock cam was even fire could they have intalled an odd fire cam on accident? then used this points setup to fix the problem?
would a even fire motor run decent with a odd fire distributor?

robdoggydog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 05:53 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

If it runs well, then maybe the cap is the exterior change needed? Just a guess.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 07:40 AM   #3
robdoggydog1
1970 CJ5 

thats what i was thinking. does anyone have pics of a odd and even fire points distributor? i know its supposed to be even spaced lobes for even fire but its hard to tell without pulling it out. iam sure its an even fire cap. and from what i see this never should have had a points distributor.
Unread 03-01-2011, 07:42 AM   #4
robdoggydog1
1970 CJ5 

it runs good excpt when i really get on the gas the motor sounds real choppy. if i gradually increase rpms slowly it doesnt sound like that. thats why i am trying to get this figured out so i can get the rite hei unit even /odd?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.