budget has been set - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > budget has been set

Advance Adapters SYE KitsARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-23-2004, 06:00 PM   #1
supersly_jones

budget has been set

hey everyone,
i just got my cj-5 yesterday...its a 1980 304v-8 needs lots of work...can't seem to get the transfer case to go to 4h or 4L...can't seem to get it to move...second gear is out of it...so on and so on

my budget has been set at 6000...i'm wanted a four wheeler for a long time then i fell in love with cj's and my mom wouldn't ever let me buy a atv then i sweet talked her into a old cj..now....i need a little help here....heres the things i need...

fiberglass body and tub: i found them at quadratec.com and 4wd.com anyone know where there is better prices...have been checking out ebay ALOT

does anyone make a rear section of the frame to replace the rusted amount that i have now...there is a few holes in bad spots where it will be very hard to patch...

wheels and tires...i'm thinking either wrangler mtr's at this time....there tread design seems to be proven and has lots of EYE appeal...i found a set of wheels on ebay the 15x8 ION "Bead-Lock" style... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2479456005

seats: i am thinking either find an old neon and take the bucket seats out of it or go all out and order some mastercraft seats...any suggestions...the jeep doesn't have matching seats in and they are trashed....

where can i find diamond plate sheets....i've looked on the net and i am going to ask around tomorrow about it...

painless wiring kit...who has the best price you have all seen...checked quadratec.com for this item...

i dont want a one piece front end i don't think
the body and tub kits seem to be the way to go...either the standard duty or heavy dute fiberglass...don't want to put out the extra money for the kevlar

we'll be doing all the work ourselves with help from family mechanics and body guys....

if theres anything i'm missing i'll update the post..thanx guys

supersly_jones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2004, 06:04 PM   #2
supersly_jones

oh,
it has 36000 original miles...headers...bikini top and soft top...if i find my camera cable today i'll take pics...
Unread 05-23-2004, 09:45 PM   #3
lord_byron

No offense, but for 6k you can buy a pretty nice CJ that doesn't need a new frame and body. Why don't you just sell that one and put the money with the other 6 to buy a nice Jeep, and save yourself a pack of trouble
lord_byron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2004, 01:49 PM   #4
supersly_jones

well the reason i want to build is becuase of the love and personel satisfaction of building it yourself and not reeking the work and effort from someone else...know what i mean?

and by the way....thats just an estimate for 6000...i basically left 2000 bucks for wheels and tires and such....its all estimates....
Unread 05-24-2004, 01:53 PM   #5
supersly_jones

but that is a good plan if all else fails...
Unread 05-24-2004, 06:56 PM   #6
amc232

depends on what you want to do with it. You said you originally wanted an ATV. If you just want to hit the trails or fields by your house then use your money on the drivetrain first. Get it running and trail worthy before buying a chrome hood kit. If the frame is gone then i would plan on buying a donor jeep that has a blown drivetrain but a good body. Trust me I've been in your spot more times than i want to admit.
amc232 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2004, 07:19 PM   #7
CJ-5

$6000

Satisfaction dosen't come from buying $6000 worth of parts and bolting it all together. put your money into tools, A welder, torch, flat steel, wire, paint......BUILD EVERYTHING YOURSELF.
Then you can say I DID THIS, and be telling the truth. Anybody can bolt together a hot wheels model.

I don't mean to flame you so hard, but I find it really hard to take this Mommy's boy funded project crap that so many people try to pass off as a home restored rig. When all it really is, is a bolt kit that their parents bought the parts for.
CJ-5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2004, 08:41 PM   #8
supersly_jones

there is just two problems to that...first one..."mommy" isn't paying for it...i have been saving up now for about 4 years now....and have 6300 bucks of spendable money....now...2nd..the problem with "mommy" is that she won't just let me blow it on a atv...then i met a local guy that has built his jeep up really nice and he allowed me to drive it...and i fell in love with it...the atv is a thing of the past...right now i'm driving a 99' cherokee....now most will say why not just put money into that....i don't want too...lol...i am planning on beefing up the drivetrain....the frame is great in every sport except the back body mount and a corner....the rest is perfectly fine...it just needs the body taken off and a little tlc...now the body isn't totally shot...it could be repaired but it seems to me that just replacing it will save a lot of trouble....i think i've covered most everything....
Unread 05-25-2004, 09:27 AM   #9
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

Hey people, leave the guy alone He went out and bought a jeep like the rest of us, and he wants to make it better. Admirable enough, I think.

CJ7 - God's gift to the masochist.
jeepsarecool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2004, 09:44 AM   #10
TG CJ7

I think getting a parts Jeep is great advice. It could save you a bunch of money.

I wouldn't fabricate everything yourself. With limited experience your not going to save money, and it'll probably end up looking like a piece of crap.

My only other advice would be to find 4x4 swap meets, look there before you buy anything from 4wd or Quadratec, about a month ago I saw two fiberglass CJ5 tubs, both guys wanted $500.

Check it out 1979 CJ7
TG CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2004, 01:59 PM   #11
'77 Round-Eye

Congrats Jones, and welcome. You are going to love your Jeep!

Sold: '79 CJ7, Fiberglass body, Chevy 350 V8, TH400 Tranny with Quadra-Trac, Full Roll-Cage
'77 Round-Eye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2004, 07:55 PM   #12
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ-5
Satisfaction dosen't come from buying $6000 worth of parts and bolting it all together. put your money into tools, A welder, torch, flat steel, wire, paint......BUILD EVERYTHING YOURSELF.
Then you can say I DID THIS, and be telling the truth. Anybody can bolt together a hot wheels model.

I don't mean to flame you so hard, but I find it really hard to take this Mommy's boy funded project crap that so many people try to pass off as a home restored rig. When all it really is, is a bolt kit that their parents bought the parts for.
One must remember that not everyone is a master welder or has massive amounts of experience building from scratch. Most folks don't have the time, space, or knowledege to dive into a major fabricating job. What I see here is a guy who has come to love Jeeps, has bought one, and is interested in fixing it as best as he can. If this means bolting on goodies instead of fabricating them, so what. There isn't a Jeep in this forum, yours included, that doesn't have a bolt on or two.
Now that I have said my piece.....reading your post on your CJ, My suggestion is to start from the ground up. Begin with the front axle hubs, brakes, spindle bearings, U joints,and diff. Same on the back. Go to the springs and shocks. By this time you might have found a frame, throw the axles under it. Now you can install the drivetrain. You will be suprised how easy it is to work on your rig with no tub. Install the wiring in the new tub before you install it. By putting it on saw horses, you can do it without lying on your back in strange positions.
I am suggesting doing it this way because you have a bad frame and you want to replace the tub. Since you will have to remove everything to swap it over, you might as well go through it all.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2004, 08:57 PM   #13
supersly_jones

thats exactly what i was planning on doing...i built two new saw horses today just for that...my old ones are torn to hell and gone...were pulling the body off either this weekend or next....i'm still looking around at prices and theres a swap meet next weekend in kansas city...its the shriners so there should be some good pickens

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.