brrrrr - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > brrrrr

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 12-04-2002, 08:55 AM   #1
twmattox

brrrrr

Well, I have tried to upgrade my heater...

Did the blower motor upgrade and fan upgrade (blows like a hurricaine).

New thermostat (asked the parts guy for one that will let the engine run a little hotter and keep me warmer).

Adjusted the vent flap (by the passenger foot).

Flushed and refilled the radiator.

I travel highway speeds mostly (65-70 mph), and am wondering if I am overcooling my engine, the temp guage barely registers. I have an '84 CJ-7 with the AMC 150 engine. I have a less than perfect body that is moderately drafty in these conditions, and the air that comes out of the handler is warm (at best).

I remember that with an older car of mine, we would restrict flow to the radiator in the winter. Anyone else have this problem? Where should the temp guage register? What temp is this (in degrees)? How do I find out an actual degree for what temp I am running?

I know it is a lot, thanks...

twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2002, 09:05 AM   #2
rustyCJ

when i first got my jeep i did the carboard infront of the radiator thing, it helped. that was before the evil rust monster had its way with my jeep, now even if i had 350* air coming outta my vents, it still wouldnt get warm. driving at highway speeds with a 4banger with something infront of the radiator might be a lil dangerous, if you do it keep an eye on the temp gauge.
Unread 12-04-2002, 05:19 PM   #3
werewolf7111

I Know exactly what youre going thru. ( when I was attached to Ft Lewis and made trips to Alaska, i learned all about heating a CJ)

>>>>>and am wondering if I am overcooling my engine,

first, relax- its IMPOSSIBLE to "overcool" an engine ( if you ever do manage to do it- email me and give me about 90 days to publish it and we will be the richest people in the galaxy)- the heat generated by an IC engine comes from the combustion and friction of the moving parts- the water circulating acts as a heat exchanger and 'wicks' heat from the engine

>>>>>>the temp guage barely registers

this is most likely a bad gauge, bad sending unit or weak connection- the ONLY way to be certain of the temp is to put a validated thermal probe in the radiator and record readings from the coolant, then do the same for the engine. ( thats how cooling coeffecients are calculated)

>>>>>Where should the temp guage register?

on "paper'- the "ideal" temp of any machine is to operate at 100 F above AMBIENT with a absolute MAX of 250 F ( beyond that, nasty things happen to tempering etc)- a good temp is between 170 and 225 ( this is a broad range and thats about the extreme upper limit)

here are probable causes of your condition( any or all may apply)

1)possible restriction of flow to the core
2) wicking of heat from the lines( anything uninsulated looses heat)
3) the body itself acting as a heat sink( lack of insulation)
4) introduction of cool air constantly
5) lack of circulating air in the crew compartment( creating an air dam situation)

solution- the laws of physics cant be changed so the fix is to eliminate the above- here are some things ive done which make a jeep as warm as a car

1) put pipe insulation on the heater hoses
2) go on a seek and destroy mission for air entrances
3) modify and put the LARGEST core you can find in there
4) undercoat the tub
5) put insulation and carpet inside
6) install 2 air returns in the vehicle near the rear( I have done PVC pipe with a suction manifold and 1 with 2 vents/blowers to outside)- that creates air movement to rear

Hope that helps

Joe MSME PE
werewolf7111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2002, 06:24 PM   #4
Mud Dobber

Gee is this a real problem, cuz where I live it's winter and I'm still driving with the door off. Sorry, guess I was feeling a bit smug. I'll pay for it when summer comes back.

Mud
Mud Dobber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2002, 07:26 PM   #5
werewolf7111

lol beauty ( and warmth) is in the eye of the beholder
Unread 12-05-2002, 01:30 AM   #6
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Geeze! Mine is hot inside all the time. What's up with that? I have to roll the windows down to cool off.
Unread 12-05-2002, 07:17 AM   #7
werewolf7111

one of my CJs is like that too- it will literally run you out of it ( its the8 cyl)
Unread 12-05-2002, 04:16 PM   #8
twmattox

Ok, my doors are on, but someone earlier mentioned a top. What's a top? I though Jeeps ran open...

I think I got it figured out. The parts guy told me he sold me a 195 degree thermostat, and it is stamped at 160. Put the new one in and I am fine now.

Thanks all.......
twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.