Bronco axles in a CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Bronco axles in a CJ7

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 05-23-2002, 02:29 PM   #1
Brock

Bronco axles in a CJ7

I was wondering if anyone has swapped the axles from a mid-70's Bronco into a CJ7. I am planning a swap from the Quadratrac to a Dana 300.I must get a new rear, and I found a wrecked rusted bronco in a field for $300(for whole truck).Nothing else is good in the thing so my thoughts of two projects faded quickly. The 9" and 44 up front seem a good combo. Has anyone performed this swap? Besides new driveshafts, are there any other problems?

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2002, 02:39 PM   #2
scrambler24

I am no bronco expert but I think they are coil springs in the front (maybe you already know that)
so you will have to eliminate the coil pads and add leaf perches but thats not a major issue for a torch, a tape and a welder.
Unread 05-27-2002, 08:39 PM   #3
hamyscj

Or, take the coils and graft them to the cj?????
Hamy.
Unread 05-27-2002, 09:54 PM   #4
RobsYJ

i am running some what of the same set up. I got the same f&r out of a 79 ford truck. Mine had coils up frot but converted to leaves and an soa. The rear went on good. I did need to have the drive shafts worked on though. Went with a CV up front. not quite fininshed with it yet but soon will be
RobsYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2002, 12:06 PM   #5
Brock

How difficult would it be to take the coils off the front of the Bronco on put on the CJ? Just looking for something different with a little better ride
Unread 05-30-2002, 06:40 AM   #6
Oxjockey

Hmmm. The diff is on the driver's side in the front, and isn't offset in the rear. Are you looking to dump the QTrac?

Bryan
Oxjockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2002, 08:20 AM   #7
Brock

I want to dump the quadratrac to get something stronger and with 2wd.Possibly get a Ford 9" rear and maybe keep the front 30 using a D300 case or I think the Scout version of the D300 has a driver side output. The offset 20 in back of mine scares me when I think of want I want to put my Jeep through.Any advise would be appreciated. Just putting ideas together now so that I may go junk yard shopping later.
Unread 05-30-2002, 08:36 AM   #8
pontiac58
1980 CJ7 

I run a EB 9in in the rear on my 7. It was a fairly easy swap. I run 4in springs and dont run a cv in the rear. I have no driveshaft vibes. If you plan to go spring over the eb rear will bolt right in but you may need shims to adjust the pinion angle. The front bronco pig is on the wrong side for a 300 unless you flip it. Somewhere on the net is a writeup on flipping the 300. The wrangler guys do that often. The front i used a waggy 44 with 4in cut off the long side. To pay 300 bucks just for the rear is a lot. But you can probably sell the front 44 to a eb owner that has a 30 and get your money back.
pontiac58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2002, 09:41 AM   #9
Oxjockey

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Brock:
<strong>I want to dump the quadratrac to get something stronger and with 2wd.Possibly get a Ford 9" rear and maybe keep the front 30 using a D300 case or I think the Scout version of the D300 has a driver side output. The offset 20 in back of mine scares me when I think of want I want to put my Jeep through.Any advise would be appreciated. Just putting ideas together now so that I may go junk yard shopping later.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The Scout D300s were special because they used the Texas bolt pattern, which means it'll bolt onto your TH400. However, it's unlikely you'll be able to flip a D300 like this because the bolt pattern is not round - like the AX15s & CJ D300s. You may want to look into a D18 - stronger, has an offset output, has twin sticks available stock, and even has a decent crawl ratio. (vs a D20)

It's good that you're getting all your research done now!

Bryan
Oxjockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2002, 01:42 PM   #10
Brock

So do yall think that the best possible swap would a 9" in the rear with a Scout D300 case and keep the front 30 until it breaks? If the scout 300 will bolt directly to my th400 transmission without an adapter, I would much rather use it. I hear that using a CJ 300 requires an adapter making rear driveshaft length a problem. Also, if I keep my stock front axle, would I need to put new hubs on it? I am about to do a frame off using a wrangler body and want to upgrade the drivetrain while I am at it(and have an understanding friend who has all the tools I need).
Unread 06-01-2002, 05:30 AM   #11
cj7traildriver

I have seen swapps done with ford 9inch rear end only bad thing about them is the pinion is so low, but sounds like you have a set found maybe try finding a dana 60 they are stronger and the pinion is higher.Just food for thought.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.