Broken seat mount bolts... HELP!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Broken seat mount bolts... HELP!!

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 06-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
Jeepn-n-tx
I go by "Mike Honcho" ...

1981 CJ7 

Broken seat mount bolts... HELP!!

Hopefully someone smarter than me is reading this tonight ...

I just got all the eletrical gremlins fixed so my Jeep is finally ready to go get inspected. But .... when I removed the driver's seat awhile back IOT get to under the dash, two of the bolts broke. One has about a 1/4" of thread sticking up and the other dang near broke flush to the body.

I've tried ...
- Heat ... no dice
- Drilling them out and using extractors ... which they both broke off so now there's a really hard piece of metal in there to prevent further drilling
- welding a nut on, but I just can't get a good bead going inside the nut and I can't grind on/ clean up the broken bolt enough to get a good stick

The bolts are the two closest to the outside so as far as under the body goes, one is up inside the channel and the other located in a tight space between two channels.

I've been soaking them in penetrating oil for two days and nothing.

Really need help here as I need to get my seat back in IOT drive it down for inspection. Gotta do it tomorrow as it's my only day off this week and they'll be closed on Thrusday anyway. Thanks in advance!

Jeepn-n-tx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

As a quick fix (which will create a bit of cleanup), could you simply run a weld along the one side of the bracket that has the broken bolts, just to get you through inspection?
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

Like tack the seat bracket to the body?? .... I guess I could, but I'm squeemish about that idea ... HOWEVER ... it does give me the idea to place the seat bracket back in, throw on a washer to cover the holes in the bracket and then re-weld a couple of nuts on. Hmm ... I may have to try and build up that one bolt that's broken flush, but that just might do the trick. Thanks, Pman!

Please keep the comments coming just in case .... going to run out the the garage to try this one!
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
JeffreyCharles
1976 CJ5 

How about a hole saw with a circumference larger than the embedded nuts? Cut the whole mess out. Then, weld in some new sheet metal with a new nut attached. Mount the seat using the other bolts so as to get the new bolt/sheet metal location correct, run the "new" bolts into the new nuts/sheet metal and then tack in the sheet metal from below. Rinse and repeat as needed.
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

I thought about that, but I think that may be my last step to take. Think ill be calling a friend to blow out the bolts with an oxy-torch and then retap the holes.
Unread 07-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
texas1al
1984 CJ7 

I think you can probably still drill them out, even with the extractors broke off inside the bolts. It sounds strange, but use a masonry drill bit at low speed. Carbide tipped masonry bits combined with drilling oil/coolant will eat through hardened steel, albeit slowly. You may need a couple of bits to get the job done, but the cheap ones will work as long as they're carbide tipped. This approach will take a little patience, but it will be easier than the alternatives. Just remember to go slow (you can almost count the rpm's of the drill), but you'll see the bit gradually grinding out the metal.
texas1al is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Heat the bolts (including the broken off ez-out) up with a torch until they glow orange. Let them cool and do it again. That will take the temper and hardness out of the extractor. Use a center punch and smack the center of the extractor. Some times they will shatter or break. If not, since they are softer now, drill them out. Work your way up with drill sizes until you get to where you can re-tap the hole to 7/16 and then put in new bolts.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
redsduty
1978 CJ7 

Instead of welding a nut onto the broken bolt try welding a 2" x 2" piece of 3/16" or 1/4" steel on edge to the broken bolt. Then use a large adjustable wrench or a pipe wrench to remove it. This has worked good for in the past when the welded nut trick did not work. Good Luck.
redsduty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

These are all awesome suggestions & I plan on putting them to use one by one.

I was able to get the seat in & get the jeep down for inspection today. We're all legal again and I'm already one tank of gas in the hole. I ended up tacking the seat frame to the broken bolts as they met up nicely. I didn't need that big a tack but it held all day. Should be good to go until I decide to tackle this one again.... Maybe later in the fall when winter rears is bastard little head.

Thanks again for all the help. ... That's why I love this forum....
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

That's awesome! Heck, the heat you put on the broken bolts after the welding may be enough to make extraction of them easier now.
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #11
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepn-n-tx
These are all awesome suggestions & I plan on putting them to use one by one.

I was able to get the seat in & get the jeep down for inspection today. We're all legal again and I'm already one tank of gas in the hole. I ended up tacking the seat frame to the broken bolts as they met up nicely. I didn't need that big a tack but it held all day. Should be good to go until I decide to tackle this one again.... Maybe later in the fall when winter rears is bastard little head.

Thanks again for all the help. ... That's why I love this forum....
Glad you got it inspected! But I'd be wanting to tackle those bolts as soon as you can. If Murphy rears his ugly head that tack will let go at the most inopportune time.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 12:46 AM   #12
RARECJ8

can you not just thru-bolt from seat frame to underneath tub-- some big fender washers and be done?

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #13
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
Glad you got it inspected! But I'd be wanting to tackle those bolts as soon as you can. If Murphy rears his ugly head that tack will let go at the most inopportune time.
SHHH!!!! .... It'll hear you!
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #14
Hawk4097
1986 CJ7 

I'd cut into the rail that its in underneath and grind the welded nut off and tac weld a new on in then weld in a piece of sheet metal to replace what you cut
Hawk4097 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #15
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

Thanks Hawk ... I think breaking the weld on the nut underneath will be my next move after reheating the bolts and trying to extract them from below. I wouldn't mind keeping the original nuts in there and just cleaning them out with a tap if needed.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.