Broke off tap in head......crap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Broke off tap in head......crap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 03-15-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
MrWonderful73
1986 CJ7 

Broke off tap in head......crap

While installing my new aluminum valve cover I bottomed out a tap in the unthreaded holes in the head and broke it off about 1/4 below the surface. Anyone have any ideas or tricks for removal????

MrWonderful73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Are you sure you're from Luck? Wish I could help you, but all I have is sympathy. I busted a main cap bolt in the block while changing out my rear main seal last year. Fumed for about a week before I got a reverse bit, EZ-out, and a six pack. Started with the reverse bit and the darn thing was loose the whole time. Spun it out with my pinky finger.

Just keep in mind: things are never as bad as they seem. These are jeeps, built by man and any problems you come across can be solved by man - even you! Best of luck.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
John N
1981 CJ8 

Try using 2 pin punches in the openings in the tap as a handle to back it out. You can put a wrench on the 2 punches to help turn them. If that doesn't work, use one of the pin punches to drive it around and back it out. Use plenty of lube. Good luck.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

I have used removers similar to these with better than average results:
http://www.newmantools.com/walton/extrtap.htm
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
HighFive
1981 CJ5 

Damn that sucks. Your tapping threads for a valve cover so it's probably a really small tap. Try fitting some thin needle nose pliers into the "tap openings" then twist it out with pliers?
Unread 03-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
LibertyJeeper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
Are you sure you're from Luck? Wish I could help you, but all I have is sympathy. I busted a main cap bolt in the block while changing out my rear main seal last year. Fumed for about a week before I got a reverse bit, EZ-out, and a six pack. Started with the reverse bit and the darn thing was loose the whole time. Spun it out with my pinky finger.

Just keep in mind: things are never as bad as they seem. These are jeeps, built by man and any problems you come across can be solved by man - even you! Best of luck.
I am putting that quote in my sig
Looking for axles 4.10's or higher
LibertyJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
sbsg2005
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I use one of them little spring loaded center punches with good results and have also use one of them vibrating engraving tools on little bolts
sbsg2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2011, 10:08 PM   #8
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyJeeper View Post
I am putting that quote in my sig

I tell myself that every time I muck something up. Which happens with some frequency. Yet somehow she still starts up in the morning.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2011, 10:10 PM   #9
MrWonderful73
1986 CJ7 

Success!!!!!

Thanks everyone for the replies, I got it out. Ended up using a Snap-on "pencil" grinder (I think thats what its called I borrowed it..) with a small bit that looked like an end mill. I was able to grind out the middle and then break it up with a punch, picked out the pieces with a pick and a magnet. It took about an hour of grinding and swearing to get it out. Wow will I be more careful...........
MrWonderful73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.