breaks pulling serverly to the right what to do. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > breaks pulling serverly to the right what to do.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
way2fastmike
1973 CJ5 

breaks pulling serverly to the right what to do.

hi guys, i have a 1973 cj 5 304 and the breaks are grabbing or pulling badly to the right , so bad that if i press on them hard it will almost run me off the road. what should i be looking for ????
thanks

way2fastmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
zillla
1975 CJ5 

One side is grabbing more than the other. First, check your brake shoes.. While in there also look at the drums.. That's a start
Unread 04-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
Ivehad4
1978 CJ7 

Good possibility your right side is doin what its supposed to and your left aint. Check the wheel cylinder on the left side to see if its leaking and/or locked up. May be as simple as rebuilding left side cylinder. Several other possibilities but I'd start there.
1998 TJ 4.0
Ivehad4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
rustbuilder
1981 CJ5 

Bad calibur.
rustbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
zillla
1975 CJ5 

Caliber? You mean caliper. 73's have drums around
Unread 04-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Switch to front disks. I had a 73. Always an adventure after I went through water. Disks dont do this. Lots of writeups using junk yard parts.
Unread 04-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

My drum breaks have served me well over the 37 years I have owned my jeep. When your jeep severely pulls to the right it usually means your left caliper is out and not working. Look inside your master cylinder and see what the level is.

SC
Unread 04-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

what Asteve said:

but if you ever owned a chevy pickup you might also check the rubber brake hose that goes from the frame to the front brake.

on the chevy trucks the inside of the rubber brake hose would deteriorate, as you pushed the brake pedal, the brake fluid would flow to the wheel cylinders, when you released the brake pedal, one brake cylinder would release as normal, because the fluid could flow back to the master cylinder

but the wheel that grabbed, the interior of the hose would not let the brake fluid flow back to the master cylinder. it would pull you right off the road or into the other lane of traffic.

but looking at the brake parts, every thing looked good, was a real pain to fix, except for an old mech that had seen it before.

would sure wake you up, as my old chevy truck, would almost jerk you off the road,

do not drive that vehicle on the roadway until you fix it, you could kill yourself or someone else.

let us know what you find.

a vehicle that will not run will not hurt you, a vehicle that will not stop, can kill you or someone else and it might be me.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #9
cj7ole
1984 CJ7 

Wellmax beat me to it but here is my take:

It is going to pull to the side of the good brake, so look for something on the other front brake. A bad rear brake won't cause a severe pulling problem. My 2002 Safari van was doing the same thing and it turned out to be a bad brake hose. As explained to me by my local NAPA parts guy, the hose lining can separate and collapse. How that kept the brake from working I don't understand, but once I replaced the hose on the side opposite to where it was pulling, problem solved. GM service guy wanted to change the caliper until I told him I just put new calipers in trying to fix the problem. They wanted over $200 to change the brake hose but they didn't have in stock. Picked one up on the way home for $17, about an hour later it was fixed.
Unread 04-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

If he has drum brakes all around it could be a bad brake hose, worn shoes, broken hardware , or something as simple as they're out of adjustment. (Which is what I would check first with drum brakes on all four corners)

The auto adjusters are only half reliable in my opinion.

How far down do you push the brake pedal before you start to stop?

With the wheels in the air you should feel and hear slight dragging of the brake shoes. If you spin the wheel and hear and feel nothing adjust them and go for a drive.

You know you got then right when it takes a little wiggling if the drum to get them off. If they just pull off they are nowhere near correct adjustment wise.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
cj7ole
1984 CJ7 

Yea, could be one set of shoes out of adjustment. BUT, is the pull constant, or does it jerk right and then pull straight after the initial application of the brake pedal? If it fits this description, it is likely a brake hose.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.