Break Lights stopped working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Break Lights stopped working

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
Jbwardfamily
1978 CJ5 

Break Lights stopped working

I have power to the brake switch and the switch is working. When I connect the other wire to the clip at the steering wheel, I lose power. There is power coming from the fuse box. Little lost. The parking lights work and the blinkers work but with very low voltage. Where else should I be looking? The POs have hacked at the wiring quite a bit but a whole new system isn't in the budget right now. Can I bypass the system and Hotwire it with switches?

James

Jbwardfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 03:34 AM   #2
RWise
1981 CJ5 

IF you have the know how to do the bypass it would work. With the wiring hack up, and loosing voltage, look for bad connection/s (maybe 2 wires just twisted together and taped, now corroded). The fuse could be not making good connection as well (any point between the battery and the lights),,, you do have good grounds right??
RWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
wblackm
1985 CJ7 

Check for corroded/loose fuses and connections. Had similar issue, took the fuse out, it was not blown, but the contacts were lightly corroded. A little cleaning with a wire pad did the job. Also check any splices from point A to point B. Could have some corrosion of the wires themselves where insulation has either been nicked, or the line spliced with wire nut/electrical tape/butt connector. If that's the case I would recommend cutting the corrosion out and the using heat shrink if you cant replace the individual line at the moment.
wblackm is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.