Brakes stick a little after releasing the pedal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Brakes stick a little after releasing the pedal

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-16-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
tmilburn
1982 CJ7 

Brakes stick a little after releasing the pedal

When I let off the pedal the brakes dont let off right away. Any ideas?

tmilburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 05:55 AM   #2
Andy5150
2003 TJ Wrangler 

worn rubber brake lines will cause that; happened to me.
Andy5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
HotStuff
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ditto.

The rubber lines break down internally and colapse, causing the slow release.
'96 XJ 6.5" lift, 33's, HP30, 8.8", 4.56's, 4wheel disc, spooled rear, locked front, SYE, skids, yada yada yada.'51 Willys CJ3A 32's, 5.38's, locked front & rear, small block, Muncie 4speed.'76 CJ5 - UNDER CONSTRUCTION - resto/mod
HotStuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Front, Rear, Disc, Drum, Left, Right, Sometimes, All the time ?
Stock, Modified ?
Anything you changed lately ?
Power, manual, hydro ?
I see your pretty modified with 44's, But don't know what brake system your running
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
tmilburn
1982 CJ7 

The Guy that had it before me did put in a lot bigger master cylinder and upgraded the brakes but what kind I'm not sure. Disk in the front drums in the back and they are power brakes I guess. The brake lines are steel braided hoses. Is that enough info to help me better?
Unread 12-21-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
tmilburn
1982 CJ7 

The drums in the rear aren't working at all I was going down a sand hill and the fronts were locked up but the rears kept spinning
Unread 03-22-2011, 11:45 PM   #7
tmilburn
1982 CJ7 

Sorry it took me so long to get back but i was in the middle of doing a high steer conversion. When I went to take the calipers off the bolts it slides on were hard to get out of the sleeves so I greased them now the brakes dont stick. I also found that my inner axle seals are leaking into my drums i think causing by shoes not to grab havent solved that one yet but I'll get to it eventually.
Unread 03-23-2011, 07:33 AM   #8
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmilburn View Post
Sorry it took me so long to get back but i was in the middle of doing a high steer conversion. When I went to take the calipers off the bolts it slides on were hard to get out of the sleeves so I greased them now the brakes dont stick. I also found that my inner axle seals are leaking into my drums i think causing by shoes not to grab havent solved that one yet but I'll get to it eventually.
If it is properly set up, you will never get the rear wheels to lock up under load.

Your CJ has a combination valve in it that is basically an anti lock brake system for the rear brakes. It only allows a certain amount/percent of pressure to go to the rears before it locks the fronts up.

If the rears ever were to lock up on you at speed, you would do 360 degree spins faster than you can blink. just try to put the emergency brake on when even driving slow and you will see what I mean, the back end will slip out sideways real fast.

That is one reason you see a lot of 4x4's just off the sides of highway ramps in the snow, they didn't read the book that says to stay off the brakes when locked in 4x4 part time, to use the gears and steering until you are almost stopped. That goes for on and off road.

In 2 wheel drive, when you hit the brakes hard in snow, only the front wheels lock up so you just track straight. Hence pumping the brakes to keep steering control. When locked in part time 4x4, when you lock the front wheels up, the rears also lock up which makes you slide sideways right off the road.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2011, 11:05 PM   #9
tmilburn
1982 CJ7 

The problem is when I go up an incline and can't make it to the top and have to back down. The fronts will be locked up while I'm sliding down the hill with little to no control. The rears spin freely. How hard is it to change the axle seal to keep it from leaking into the rear drum.
Unread 03-25-2011, 11:17 PM   #10
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
The problem is when I go up an incline and can't make it to the top and have to back down. The fronts will be locked up while I'm sliding down the hill with little to no control. The rears spin freely. How hard is it to change the axle seal to keep it from leaking into the rear drum.
do you have one piece or 2 piece axles?

That is more than likely the cause. The brakes soak up ANYTHING. I did a writeup on how to replace everything. I had the same issue you did(not the seal, the brakes). when I had my jeep on jack stands I stumbled onto another problem (go figure right!) my fronts were sticking/engaged without on the pedal. And my fronts would lock, but my rears were barely engaging. $200 later and I have all new rear brakes and the thing will stop on a dime!

I have new pads for the front but I am going to wait a month before I tear the fronts down and relube/replace everything!

you also mentioned 'power brakes' you will notice a drum like object with a vacuum line off of it between the MC and the firewall. so do you or dont you have power brakes?

Ben
Unread 03-25-2011, 11:39 PM   #11
tmilburn
1982 CJ7 

It has a vanco brake booster and the axle is a Dana 44 out of a scout so I think it has one piece shafts do you know what the thickness of a new shoe. The shoes also have a glaze on them probably from the diff fluid.
Unread 03-28-2011, 07:10 AM   #12
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
You are not 'supposed' to use the brakes coming back down a hill, low range reverse will keep all 4 wheels moving slow together in theory. The owners manual is very specific about staying off the brakes when in 4x4 so you keep steering control, but who besides me actually reads the manuals?

Backing down a hill like that is a real pain though. I have used the emergency brake to control the rear wheels before so I can keep the steering. There just is no way the brake pedal will lock those back wheels up and as mentioned if it does something is broken.

Some folks even put a hydraulic line lock in it to use like a Subaru with it's hill holder brakes, but I prefer the emergency brake pedal..
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #13
tmilburn
1982 CJ7 

That's a good idea the brake thing anyways 'whats a manual' and isn't reading one against the man laws?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.