Brakes all new but pull to right - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Brakes all new but pull to right

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
Chlarock
1984 CJ7 

Brakes all new but pull to right

I built an 84 CJ7 and replaced the brake system completely from booster to rotors and drums and calipers...lines and hoses also with new prop valve. The only thing old is the pedal itself. I got new tires and wheel alignment and I'm getting a pulling to the right when I hit the brakes. I also replaced the steering box by the way. ANY idea on what could be the problem???? I got a Cardon steering box which I'm told is a crappy box. Could this be the cause? It doesn't have "steering memory" meaning the wheel doesn't turn back when you let go after a turn. It just stays in the turn. One other thing...I have 2" spacers on all 4 wheels. I could see that causing the memory issue but not the pulling. Any help would be great. Thanks

Chlarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I'm guessing that the rears are not adjusted properly.... reason, same problem a few weeks ago after a rear brake job and when I checked them after driving and getting everything where it wanted to be I had to put almost 30 clicks in the adjusters on one side but only about 10 in the other to get it close...

Now it self adjusts properly and brakes straight as an arrow.
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

I understand the toe/in/out is not right, if steering wheel will not return to straight or the steering box is too tight.

also, I had the problem on a old chevy truck, one front wheel brake would not release,

it was the inside of the front brake rubber line, from the frame over to the wheel cylinder. It had deteriorated inside and would allow the brake fluid to flow to the brake, but not return fast as it should and this action would cause that wheel to lock up and pull you to that side, when you released the brake petal.

now that was a real trip until I finally found an old chevy truck guy who knew what was wrong the first time I told him about it. new rubber brake lines and it was fixed.

I guess it could work in reverse, if the brake line would not let fluid flow to the wheel cylinder then the vehicle would pull to the side that was receiving brake fluid.

whatever, brake work is in order
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

chlarock,

forgot to tell you, I also have a 1984 model jeep,

may not have been the best jeep ever, but it has the classic jeep look,
so far mine is still running
jeep-1.jpg  
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Did you adjust the rears so you could just hear the shoes drag a little on the drums? That is a must.
Check your tire pressure to be sure they are the same.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
Chlarock
1984 CJ7 

Tire pressure is fine...new tires...new brake hoses and lines so they are good. Had a wheel alignment but maybe they screwed it up. I didn't check the steering box but I guess it could be too tight. As for the rear brakes...This very well could be it as I just assumed they would self adjust. I'll have to redo that. By the way..how do I adjust the steering box? do you turn the screw IN or OUT to loosen the steering??? Thanks again
Unread 08-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Dont mess with the steering Box.

Adjust the rear brakes ny tightening the adjuster until you can Just wiggle the drum back on. You want to feel it drag as you spin it.
Now back the adjuster off until the drag Just disappears.

Sent from my HTC One SV using JeepForum
Unread 08-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
Chlarock
1984 CJ7 

Thanks. I don't really want to mess with it. When I get a chance I'll check the rear brakes. Good chance that's it.
PS
I don't know how this picture is going to look. Not sure about uploading pics
.jpg  
Unread 08-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

How much left to right play(engine OFF)do you have in the s'wheel?

TP is 'fine', really??? When when was the last time that YOU checked the tp?
Just cause they're new doesn't mean you don't have a leak or the tire store 'monkeys' have them even set all to the correct psi, BTDT.......

LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #10
Chlarock
1984 CJ7 

Back at it

Very little if not any play in steering wheel. New gear box installed. TP is good and even all around. Toe in/out is good but I had to shim the right wheel to get the camber right. It was -.7* so I shimmed it .75* which should get it to almost 0*. The caster is at 3.2 so I'm going to shim that 4*. after that I'm at a loss as to what to do to get this thing braking strait.
Unread 04-23-2014, 04:12 PM   #11
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

First question
Does the vehicle pull to the right (rear brakes) or the steering wheel (front brakes). Answering this question will give you an end to start at.
Things to check.

Rear
Brake adjustment
Improper shoe placement on one side (long shoe on the front)
Improper assembly (shoe hanging, return spring fell off, etc)
Brake medium contamination
Two different wheel cylinder sizes
Dragging or improperly adjusted E brake
Two of the same side auto adjusters (they rotate in different directions)
Drum glazing
Improper bleeding

Front
Mismatched pads
Pad on backward
Mismatched calipers
Jammed or dragging caliper
Dirt or grit on the area where the caliper rides
Improperly assembled caliper retainer
Glazed rotor
Ballooned or degraded brake line
Pinched steel line
Loose wheel bearing
Improper bleeding

There are some suspension issues as well, but since you didn't state the issue was there prior to the brake job, I'm going to skip these.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 04:23 PM   #12
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Just how did you 'shim' only one side for camber
Caster is set at the factory. You have to remove the knuckles etc. to adjust it with an eccentric sleeve in the upper joint.
Sounds to me like a bent axle housing.
LG
Unread 05-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #13
Chlarock
1984 CJ7 

Caster/Camber Adjustment

I shimmed one side to adjust the Camber (in/out vertical tilt) on the pass side wheel. I put shims in the leaf springs to adjust the Caster (forward/rear tilt)
Unread 05-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #14
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Your still out of spec.
Whats your caster at now.
What's you toe-in set at?
LG
Unread 05-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #15
Chlarock
1984 CJ7 

As for the brake issue....I bought this in pieces as a project jeep so I don't know what it was doing before I got it on the road. I would say the VEHICLE pulls to the right. I'm not positive though. It is only noticeable at 40 or 50 MPH and braking hard. I'll have to take the back wheels apart and double check everything.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.