Brake questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Brake questions

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-31-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
caseypotts
1980 CJ7 

Brake questions

Two questions... I've been struggling with break issues since putting a ton of work into my CJ. Prior to the work it had mostly been sitting for about 3 years.
I did NOT have any issues until I changed out my front lines. The do not appear to be leaking. I bled and bled and then bled some more and never maintained pressure. I came to the conclusion that my problem was the master cylinder and bought a reman master cylinder. It is now leaking between the master and the booster. Is this a bad master cylinder?
Second question. My brake light is always on in the speedo. I'm not sure the above is connected. Is there an adjustment on the parking brake that I am missing?

Her Ride
2003 Liberty Renegade
caseypotts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 11:58 PM   #2
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseypotts View Post
Two questions... I've been struggling with break issues since putting a ton of work into my CJ. Prior to the work it had mostly been sitting for about 3 years.
I did NOT have any issues until I changed out my front lines. The do not appear to be leaking. I bled and bled and then bled some more and never maintained pressure. I came to the conclusion that my problem was the master cylinder and bought a reman master cylinder. It is now leaking between the master and the booster. Is this a bad master cylinder?
Second question. My brake light is always on in the speedo. I'm not sure the above is connected. Is there an adjustment on the parking brake that I am missing?
Yes, it should not be leaking there. Did you possibly damage when installing?

How were you bleeding the original MC?

I have the light problem also, there is a wire on the back of the emergency brake pedal that is pretty hokey. My is usually on but flickers, I just ignore it, I have bigger problems to deal with on it.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
Jsadamson1

On the late 70's cj and newer, I believe there is a sensor on the brake pressure divider block that will also trip the brake light if there is air in the line. I remember reading about it when I was doing my rear brakes the other day.

jeepbuilds.blogspot.com
Jsadamson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
caseypotts
1980 CJ7 

Sorry meant to respond back to this a got busy with other things. Thanks for the responses, I still have the same issues going on as I haven't had time to work on it the past couple weeks but I think...I think I have found my air issue. I bled the m.c. per the instructions. I'm thinking maybe there is remaining air in it and now that I solved my leak problem I just need to bleed the system again. With any luck my brakes will work and that damn light will go off. Then I can move on to my next problem

Her Ride
2003 Liberty Renegade
caseypotts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 03:53 AM   #5
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Are you holding back the Combination Valve???

Are you following the bleeding procedure in the FSM?

Have you taken the front calipers off, because you can swap them and not realise the bleed nipples are upside down and it will not bleed out all the air.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.