Brake proportioning valve and bleeding brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Brake proportioning valve and bleeding brakes

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 02-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
jurgen24
1984 CJ7 

Brake proportioning valve and bleeding brakes

I'm trying to bleed my brakes and have not had 100% success yet, even when following the front-back-front procedure. I find that I can't fully depress the pedal when bleeding the rears.

In the FSM is says to depress the proportioning valve with special tool (J-26869), I plan to do this with a clamp, but when I look at the valve, it only sticks out about 1/32". Is this all it sticks out? Can someone pls have a look at theirs and tell me know long it is.....sorry for the personal question

jurgen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
Bigjonh
1982 CJ7 

yea that's about right, doesn't stick out much and doesn't travel in very much either. I'd say travel was less than 1/4 inch on mine.
Bigjonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 12:03 AM   #3
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

There are W and S valves. Look at http://oljeep.com and it will explain which is push and which is pull. If you follow the lines up to the master cyl, then undo the one closest to the button while someone is pushing the pedal and the button should pop up about the time they hit the floor. (the fluid will eat paint!)
Tighten the line and see how the brakes feel. Also, manually adjust all the brakes (assuming drum) and make them drag a bit. Hit the brake and adjust them again (you have to center them to get the adjustment correct)

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
jurgen24
1984 CJ7 

I gave it another go front-back-front, now pedal is nice and firm, and back bled OK. I never touched the prop. valve.
jurgen24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.