Brake problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Brake problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 06-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
larock
1983 CJ7 

Brake problems

I have a 1983 jeep cj7(disc front brakes/drum rear), I have just replaced wheel cylinders, master cylinder, and rear brake shoes. We have bled the system twice, first time a fair amount of air came out and the second time absolutely none. The brakes are now very spongy and go basically all the way down to the floor, also when the brakes are pressed down the brake light on the dash comes on. There are no readily apparent leaks at any of the lines or joints. What could this be?

larock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
Jeepin72
Is it the weekend yet?

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Did you bench blead the MC. That may pushing a large amount of air into the lines it wasn't bled.

Check the push rod (if a CJ has one). I know when I did a recent axle swap and toyed with a different MC the push rod was crucial. I assume it was just a new part and not a change, but it could be a bit off.
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
larock
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin72
Did you bench blead the MC. That may pushing a large amount of air into the lines it wasn't bled.

Check the push rod (if a CJ has one). I know when I did a recent axle swap and toyed with a different MC the push rod was crucial. I assume it was just a new part and not a change, but it could be a bit off.
We did not bench bleed but we did the one person on the breaks and one person under the car style and we did that twice
larock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Jeepin72
Is it the weekend yet?

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I can tell you that when I did my MC swap I had to push a whole lot of fluid to get the system bled. So many repetitions I didn't count. I bench bled the MC. But I was working with a lot of new lines so that accounts for a lot my experience. But if the MC had air, you will need to push that from the beginning spot of the system to the end at the bleeder screw. It may take a long time.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.