Brake problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Brake problems

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Get DBA Brake Rotors From ExtremeTerrain.com!Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 06-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
larock
1983 CJ7 

Brake problems

I have a 1983 jeep cj7(disc front brakes/drum rear), I have just replaced wheel cylinders, master cylinder, and rear brake shoes. We have bled the system twice, first time a fair amount of air came out and the second time absolutely none. The brakes are now very spongy and go basically all the way down to the floor, also when the brakes are pressed down the brake light on the dash comes on. There are no readily apparent leaks at any of the lines or joints. What could this be?

larock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Have you got a copy of the FSM and followed the brake adjustment and bleeding procedure?

Were you holding back the Combination Valve at the same time (if not you can get thee symptoms as bleeding it will have actuated the safety valve)? Have you got the calipers on the wrong sides? Have you properly bench bled the master cylinder before fitting? Have you adjusted the rear drums?

Sometimes they bleed easy and sometimes not, particularly if you have had problems with the master cylinder bench bleed or have not held the Combination Valve back.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Larock-

I'm certainly not trying to be a smart aleck, but you've asked this exact same question on 3 threads that you've started. I'd recommend keeping it to one thread so others can see what has already been asked/answered. Any reason why you keep asking it over and over with a new thread?
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
larock
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman
Larock-

I'm certainly not trying to be a smart aleck, but you've asked this exact same question on 3 threads that you've started. I'd recommend keeping it to one thread so others can see what has already been asked/answered. Any reason why you keep asking it over and over with a new thread?
I posted this a couple of weeks ago and got no help so I figured I'd stick it in a couple different forums and maybe got more eyes to see it and what is with everybody are you like the police of this website? Why does it matter if you see it more than once all I want is some car help!
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
larock
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep
Have you got a copy of the FSM and followed the brake adjustment and bleeding procedure?

Were you holding back the Combination Valve at the same time (if not you can get thee symptoms as bleeding it will have actuated the safety valve)? Have you got the calipers on the wrong sides? Have you properly bench bled the master cylinder before fitting? Have you adjusted the rear drums?

Sometimes they bleed easy and sometimes not, particularly if you have had problems with the master cylinder bench bleed or have not held the Combination Valve back.
Where and what is the combination valve?
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:58 AM   #6
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by larock View Post
Where and what is the combination valve?
it is this block that your brake lines pass through. It is a "combination" valve as it performs several functions.

In this diagram from the FSM you can see how a special tool is used to keep the metering valve open during bleeding. Sometimes they bleed and sometimes this valve closes, believing you have lost pressure in the rear. You can keep it open with a screwdriver or something, no need for the tool.

If in any doubt you can get a copy of the FSM on the 'Net and read up on the installation, adjustment and bleeding of the brakes.
metering-valve-combo-valve.png   brake-layout.png  

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by larock View Post
I posted this a couple of weeks ago and got no help so I figured I'd stick it in a couple different forums and maybe got more eyes to see it and what is with everybody are you like the police of this website? Why does it matter if you see it more than once all I want is some car help!
Well, you took my comment the wrong way, which is not what I intended. You posted it in the same forum 3 times (this one, the CJ forum). I'm not policing, just trying to help you keep the answers in one concise area so that people answering aren't repeating/asking you the same questions over and over.

Just trying to give you friendly advice, brotha!
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.