Brake master cylinder/booster?!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Brake master cylinder/booster?!!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-30-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
AdrianW1
1979 CJ7 

Brake master cylinder/booster?!!

Ok maybe I am a little slow, but hear me out. It should be fairly obvious if my 79 cj7 had a power booster for the brakes, correct? It should be right in front of me when I open the hood. So my question is, do some 79 cj7's come WITHOUT the booster and only a master cylinder? If so, what is involved with changing the master cylinder out with a new one? Mine is leaking.

AdrianW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
1983 CJ7 

Yes, they had manual and power brakes.

Very simple:

Break the brake line fittings loose and then snug them so they don't leak.

Un-clip the actuating rod from the brake lever inside the jeep.

Unbolt the master cylinder from the firewall.

Unbolt the brake lines and pull it off, have a catch pan handy because it will lose the fluid when you take the lines off.

And welcome to the forum
Unread 06-30-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
Dustlander
1979 CJ7 

mines a 79 w/out power brakes u WILL know the difference when u drive it if it has power brakes or not
Dustlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
AdrianW1
1979 CJ7 

Ok, so upon further investigation. The lid for the master cylinder is leaking. It is brand new and was put on when I bought it a couple of months ago. Does anyone know of a nice no-expensive to fix a leaky lid?
AdrianW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianW1 View Post
Ok, so upon further investigation. The lid for the master cylinder is leaking. It is brand new and was put on when I bought it a couple of months ago. Does anyone know of a nice no-expensive to fix a leaky lid?
New gasket or another new lid with a new gasket. Both are cheap.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

I dont know how people live with a jeep with a brake booster. I would be dead by now because of how many times I have been on a hill and my jeep has died and I had to slowly roll back down with only brakes and some gears. With a brake booster installed, I would of had hardly any brakes....

Simply put, I love standard brakes.
crzdmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
featured
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzdmnky View Post
I dont know how people live with a jeep with a brake booster. I would be dead by now because of how many times I have been on a hill and my jeep has died and I had to slowly roll back down with only brakes and some gears. With a brake booster installed, I would of had hardly any brakes....

Simply put, I love standard brakes.
Boosted brakes still work fine with the engine off. They just feel like manual brakes.
featured is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.