brake lines, gas lines, which order - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > brake lines, gas lines, which order

Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-20-2003, 06:34 AM   #1
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

brake lines, gas lines, which order

I just finished sand blasting and painting up the frame, now I need to put on the new lines and was wondernig from top to botom on a 1976 Jeep CJ-5 304, what order do the lines go in or does it matter.

When I bought the Jeep there were some remnants of the lines on the driver side inside frame rail, but I can't seem to find the pics.

Also, where do I get the little holders/separators that were on there. the ones that are left are rotted.

Thanks,
cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2003, 07:35 AM   #2
79Renegade

Here is a picture of mine that I just completed, installed stainless fuel and brake lines. I put the brakes lines on first then the fuel lines over the top. I fabricated a couple clamps and found the rest(electrical clamps) at my local hardware store.

All the lines run down the left (drivers) side of the frame.
The rear line goes to the crossmember above the axle and then a hose goes from there to the junction block on the rear axle.

I spent the extra and went with the pre-bent lines which made the installation process a lot easier and quicker. I was going to bend my own but my old lines were pretty much history and didn't have much left to follow. Plus I'm planning on keeping the jeep and went with stainless for the long term life.

I can take more pics if you need.

Greg

79Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2003, 05:59 PM   #3
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

that is exactly what I was looking for. I am/was in the same boat as you. I didn't have much to go by and now I can use this as a guide. Thanks!

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
Unread 06-29-2003, 12:51 PM   #4
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

OK, I went with the stainless kit as well for the brakes and the gas lines.

2 things I noticed when laying them out today, first, the gas lines look to be a lot shorter then what I need. Iknow I can compensate with longer rubber from the ends to the pump and gas filter outlet, but I was shocked to see this.

Secondly, I am converting from manula to power brakes and the kit came with 2 different size master cylinder lines and I am not sure if with power brakes do you need a different proportinoning valve.

Any ideas?

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
Unread 06-29-2003, 12:53 PM   #5
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Any way to get a close up of your valve so I can compare?

Thanks,
cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
Unread 06-29-2003, 07:58 PM   #6
79Renegade

Quote:
Originally posted by cb4158
OK, I went with the stainless kit as well for the brakes and the gas lines.

2 things I noticed when laying them out today, first, the gas lines look to be a lot shorter then what I need. Iknow I can compensate with longer rubber from the ends to the pump and gas filter outlet, but I was shocked to see this.

Secondly, I am converting from manula to power brakes and the kit came with 2 different size master cylinder lines and I am not sure if with power brakes do you need a different proportinoning valve.

Any ideas?
[IMG]

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...7/fbce3cf4.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a few pics.Did the best I could with the engine & tranny in place.I have a stock 79 CJ5 and the fuel lines stop at the front of the tub and rubber lines go to the engine. Other than a 2 piece steel line from carb to fuel pump. I assume that is original.

My parts jeep had manual front discs and I used that proportioning valve. The lines I ordered are for power front disc and the lines fit.( I am installing the power brake unit off another Jeep.The bigger line goes towards the front of the jeep.)

I'm not to the stage of brakes yet, so I don't know if I have to change the proportioning valve.

Greg
79Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2003, 04:03 AM   #7
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Thanks for the pics. The valves are different apparently. I am seeing one on Ebay for 20 bucks right now so I will pick that up.

As for mine, I don't have the front guy on the angle like yours, mine are all non-angled and the "front one" is not larger, it is the same size, so that is where I am at.

As for the brakes, I don't think it needs to be changed if you were going with manual brakes, only power.

Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.