3Likes
  • 1 Post By Fourtrail
  • 1 Post By ECJ-7
  • 1 Post By eyedoc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-17-2017, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
eyedoc

Brake lights driving me crazy

OK, I had to replace my turn signal because only one signal was working and I was completely lacking brake lights. So, I've rewired everything and I have all signals working, but I ONLY have brake lights when the headlights are on. No headlights, no brake lights.

I've checked the wiring and I have one wire from my turn signal going to the brake switch and the other pole of the brake switch goes to the light switch. The diagram shows the brake lights splicing in the back and then going to one of the terminals on the light switch. I've screwed with this so much I have the entire schematic memorized, but I'm wondering if I possibly have a bad brake switch? I mean, they come on when the lights are on, so that's probably not it...but everything else is new including all of the wiring and the entire tail light housing.

HELP ME!!! I'm going friggin' batcrap over this thing!

1959 Willy's CJ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-18-2017, 12:09 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Which teminal on the light switch are you hooked to? I believe you should be hooked to constant power/incoming power to the light switch. Like the headlights, tge brake lights should function with the key off. Sounds like you are hooked up to the wrong terminal giving you only brake lights when the lights are on.
John Strenk likes this.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 9 Old 08-18-2017, 04:14 AM
ECJ-7
1976 CJ7 

find a hot terminal on the fuse panel and plug the brake light wire into it. I'm guessing there is a brakelight fuse, but even if there isn't just find one that is hot all the time.
John Strenk likes this.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-18-2017, 06:40 AM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

HI. there should be power to one side of the brake light switch all the time the key is on.. Sounds like you only have power with the lights are on then you have it wired wrong.. Also there are two filaments in the bulbs.. one bright one dim.. The bright one is Brake/signal filament and the dim one is tail lights.. if you get them mixed up you well NOT be able to see the brake lights with the lights on..
Did you figure out that switch in your grill??
good luck
tim
post #5 of 9 Old 08-18-2017, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
eyedoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedal2themetai View Post
HI. there should be power to one side of the brake light switch all the time the key is on.. Sounds like you only have power with the lights are on then you have it wired wrong.. Also there are two filaments in the bulbs.. one bright one dim.. The bright one is Brake/signal filament and the dim one is tail lights.. if you get them mixed up you well NOT be able to see the brake lights with the lights on..
Did you figure out that switch in your grill??
good luck
tim
I'm going to play with it today and see if I can figure it out. The brakes work great with the lights on, it's when they're off that everything falls apart.

I'm pretty sure that thing on the grill is some kind of relay for towing. The wires are clipped down low, but I think that's what it is.

1959 Willy's CJ5
post #6 of 9 Old 08-18-2017, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
eyedoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
Which teminal on the light switch are you hooked to? I believe you should be hooked to constant power/incoming power to the light switch. Like the headlights, tge brake lights should function with the key off. Sounds like you are hooked up to the wrong terminal giving you only brake lights when the lights are on.
Maybe? I went by the schematic, but I'll hook it to another one and see what that does

1959 Willy's CJ5
post #7 of 9 Old 08-18-2017, 11:46 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECJ-7 View Post
find a hot terminal on the fuse panel and plug the brake light wire into it. I'm guessing there is a brakelight fuse, but even if there isn't just find one that is hot all the time.
This good advice except you do not have fuse box or panel--just individually fused circuits. If you wire it up from a hot source fuse it and don't piggy back off another fused circuit. It is a simple circuit--fused power to brake light switch to brake lights.

Good luck and bright lights!

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #8 of 9 Old 08-18-2017, 12:07 PM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

What year are you working on??
good luck
tim
post #9 of 9 Old 08-18-2017, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
eyedoc

1959, but with a little trial, a little error and a little profanity, I figured it out. I assume because it's a newer light switch, the poles don't match the schematic in the manual and Fourtrail got my brain going with his post above.

I just touched every connection on the light switch until I found one that was a continuous power pole and it worked like a champ. I'm happy to say we're now properly inspected and licensed! I've been driving it around all day and it's awesome. A little loud, a little rough and every once in a while smells like gas...perfect.

Thanks for all of the replies.
John Strenk likes this.

1959 Willy's CJ5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.