Brake lights/Backup lights issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Brake lights/Backup lights issue

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
montypyfly
1983 CJ7 

Brake lights/Backup lights issue -- SOLVED

I have an issue with my 83 CJ-7
My back up lights haven't worked for a while. I just assumed the switch was unaligned. But the other day I noticed my brake lights were sticking on.... Pulling on the peddle didn't help like in my old CJ-5s, so I just pulled the fuse so they would go off.
Today I notice..... I have Back up lights!!!!!... I put the fuse back in, I have stuck brake lights and NO backup lights. Fuse out, Back up lights again.

So... any guesses? At first I was thinking I would just fight with the brake light switch, but since I know that to be a major PITA, my thought is now that something in the brake wires is shorting out and causing the Brake lights to stay on, and to cause the backup lights to fail. Removing the fuse eliminates the short effecting the backup lights.

Does this sound plausible? if so, any guesses where I should start hunting down the problem? Thanks for any and all ideas.

Last edited by montypyfly; 12-02-2009 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: Problem Solved
montypyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
bulletproofcj
1980 CJ7 

Are your brake lights by chance dim? You may have ground issues at your taillights.

John
bulletproofcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
montypyfly
1983 CJ7 

Problem SOLVED

Fought the cold and took a look at the Brake Light Switch. I just stuck a thick magnetic sheet under the Switch, now it pushes up far enough to shut off. And now... the back up lights seem to be working with the fuse in.... Still have no idae about that, but it's working.
So ... "Never Mind"
montypyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
bulletproofcj
1980 CJ7 

If only all CJ problems were that easy. Driving a CJ sometimes tells others we love a challenge.
bulletproofcj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.