Brake light - Turn signal troubleshooting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Brake light - Turn signal troubleshooting

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-14-2009, 08:15 PM   #1
TomCombo
1983 CJ7 

Brake light - Turn signal troubleshooting

I have been piecing together the wiring on my basketcase 83 CJ7. I have it put together, but the brake lights and turn signals aren't working right. When I step on the brake pedal, the brake lights don't come on. The tail lights and front grille marker lights work with the headlight switch, though. If I turn the key to the run position, and actuate the turn signal lever, the rear lights blink as they should, but the grille lights don't. If I then step on the brake pedal the rear lights work as they should (one side blinks the other side is constant) - grille lights still don't do anything. I took the column apart and pulled the turn signal switch partly out. It looks ok. If I slide the turn signal switch to just the right position, the bake lights work with the pedal.

Does this sound like a ground problem or a turn signal switch problem? The dash is gounded to the frame. I also have eng to frame, battery to engine, grille to frame, and tail lights to frame (its a glass tub). It acts goofy like a ground problem, but I think I have all the grounds, so maybe it is just the switch. What do you guys think??

TomCombo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2009, 03:20 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I think it's the switch.
Check this out:
http://www.cjoffroad.com/forums/topi...s=Turn,Signals
John Strenk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2009, 05:35 AM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The tail lights need two grounds, one for the case and one for that black wire. The running lights ground through the wire and the brake lights ground through the the fixture. Ground theft can happen so some things appear to work sort of... I soldered a wire right onto the backing plate of my rear fixtures for their ground tag on my 'glass tub.

The front fixtures also need a case ground. They are sneaky and use a special shoulder screw for the ground path so if you have replaced the screws with normal ones, they won't work right. Again I didn't mess around, I soldered a wire right to the back of the fixture.

Is your brake light switch plugged in?
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2009, 11:09 AM   #4
crusty75
1975 CJ5 

Had the same problem on the 75. I've got the older clamp on TS switch, and after a rebuild, and finding a cold solder joint in the switch, I thought I had it fixed. Nope. I wound up solving the problem the same way as Mike did.

Drove me nuts for a while...
Unread 03-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
TomCombo
1983 CJ7 

Thanks for the input guys. I will double check the grounds first. I have aftermarket 1950 Pontiac tail lights. They have one dual filliment bulb. Two wires and a tang on the bulb socket for the ground. So one wire for tail, one wire for brake/TS and I attached a ground wire to the tang.

Oh yeah, Mike, the brake light switch is connected. I used a test light and the brake switch is working. I checked the tail lights before installation by wiring directly to the battery.

I'll have to check John's link when I get to a PC. I can't view the pictues on this Blackberry.
Unread 03-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCombo View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I will double check the grounds first. I have aftermarket 1950 Pontiac tail lights. They have one dual filliment bulb. Two wires and a tang on the bulb socket for the ground. So one wire for tail, one wire for brake/TS and I attached a ground wire to the tang.

Oh yeah, Mike, the brake light switch is connected. I used a test light and the brake switch is working. I checked the tail lights before installation by wiring directly to the battery.

I'll have to check John's link when I get to a PC. I can't view the pictues on this Blackberry.
I'd like to see tha tail lights.

Oh yeah., is there a better browser for the blackberry? I hate the one on mine also.
John Strenk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 09:24 PM   #7
TomCombo
1983 CJ7 

Guys - I posted this a few days ago and thought I'd share the results....

The winner is John. The problem was the switch. I double checked the grounds and everything was good. So I was about to order a new TS switch online, but while I was at Autozone today, I asked if they had a TS switch. To my amazement they did. $25 or about $20 less than the 4WD, Quadratec, etc!!!!

I just finished installing it and all the lights function properly. Now I can drive it down the road! Can't wait till tomorrow!

PS - John, I will post pictures of the Pontiac taillights once I figue out how....photobucket or whatever. Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.