brake light switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > brake light switch

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 07-22-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
jgoshow

brake light switch

im missing the spring or something on the brake light switch on the steering colomn....my rear lights stay on and im not sure how this works...the chilton manual does not show pics of how this goes together....can anybody help? it is a 1979 cj7

jgoshow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

This is one of the worst contorsions that i have had to go through. The brake switch is located right above your brake. The onlything holding it in is friction on that little POS bracke that it goest through,, It dose not thread in just pushes. IF it is a problem of the lights allways staying on it may be that your switch is adjusted too close to the pedal if so you can press down a little on it adn put a screwdriver between then and pop it back a little. if it is a new switch then it mayjust need to be adjusted. if it still stays on after you knwo the switch is not being depressed then you may want to remove it and check for countinuity between the two terminals. with the switch extended you should have it. when you press it it should break. Other wise you have short in your wiring and need to work from there.
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
jgoshow

great thankyou and WTF? this is such a pain in the ***,worst setup i know
jgoshow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2007, 09:51 AM   #4
atom73
1977 CJ5 

I have the same problem but mine is that the switch is loose in the bracket. I adjust it but it always ends up moving again, I have thought of JB welding it in but that is too permanent and if the switch went I would have to cut it out. Any ideas on how to tighten up that switch, there doesnt seem to be anything holding it in except a little friction and I dont have enough....
mike
atom73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2007, 12:17 PM   #5
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

I have the same problem with my 77' I fixed by running a tie wrap around the back of the switch and pulled it tight to the bracket part. Also check the pedal return spring. It may be worn and is not depressing the switch all the way. Goodluck.
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2007, 04:45 PM   #6
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

If the switch is physically moving inthe bracket then chances are that the plastic "ribs" on the switch have been adjusted too many times. My 2 suggestions are look up there wiht a flashlight and there are two tabs that are part of the bracket that you can try to squeeze together (good luck getting pliers up there) or take a yoga class spend the 5 bucks or so and replace it. easiest way to remove it is to press the brake pedal, put a big screwdriver between the flag on it and the switch and pop it out. mine had enough slack inthe wires where i coudl get it down adn change the wiring below. it was easire then trying to unplug it up under there... good luck and as your laying upside down with your feet over the roll bar think.... whhosha...whhosha...
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.