Brake Light (interior) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Brake Light (interior)

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 12-08-2002, 06:27 PM   #1
MudLover

Brake Light (interior)

I've been having a problem over the past few weeks. Well, there's a never ending list of problems, but I'm trying to focus on the important ones. Anyway, the little light which reads "BRAKE" in my spedo cluster never goes out. What does this mean? When the problem first started, the light would flicker when I woudl press the brake peddle in at stop lights or around corners. I always pull the E-Brake handle just to make sure it's not sticking, and it's not. Could the light be trying to tell me that there's a failure with one of the break drums (sticking, not functoning at all)? Hopefully I'm not the only one with this problem. But then again, with my luck anyway, it wouldn't suprise me!!
Thanks ahead of time,
Marc

[B][COLOR=darkred]Red Jeep Club Member #2[/COLOR][/B]
MudLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2002, 09:33 PM   #2
RockJeep
SirRocks'A'Lot

check out the switch on the pedal assembly to make sure its not sticking or could be loose wires. on my 71 Ford F100 pedal for the brake the switch will sometimes wiggle loose and the lights will flicker,
good luck
bob
Unread 12-09-2002, 07:49 AM   #3
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

More than likely it's the spring on the pedal itself. There's a spring that shoots out of the brake pedal and it compresses when you push the e-brake in.

Wiggle it around and you'll probably see the light go on and off. It's a matter of adjusting it so that it makes and doesn't make contact to close the circuit.
Unread 12-09-2002, 03:25 PM   #4
MudLover

Can you guys do me a huge favor? When you say there's a little spring, can you tell me how it should be hooked up and weither it's to the E Brake or the regular Brake. I looked around some more and I can't find any electrical connection going to the actual E-Brake assembly. There are lots of wire's that don't connect to anything in this bad boy, and there doesn't seem to be a place where a wire would connect to the E-Brake. What am I missing?
Unread 12-09-2002, 05:05 PM   #5
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Sure... There is one wire that connects to the e-brake itself at the bottom. It has an 'L' shaped connector on the end of it and it should fit over a nipple (for lack of a better term) on the base of the e-brake. This is actually the ground wire and it should be black.

So in short...

The connection goes to the base of the ebrake.
It's a black wire with an L shaped end on it.
The wire should be dangling down near your left foot or stuffed above it under the dash.

Seriously though, get a Hanes manual and it will have the wiring schematics. You can follow each wire from source to destination and start to clean up the rat's nest we all find in these CJ's when we get them.

I just had to do the brake light as well, plus 4 lights in the speedo, lights in the square indicators around the knobs, the dimmer, and other misc wires.
Unread 12-10-2002, 11:03 PM   #6
K5QM

On my '86 CJ-7 that light is a brake warning light. I comes on if you loose pressure in either front or rear half of the brake system. This is usually caused by a leaking wheel cylinder. I have seen one bad switch which is located on my proportion valve.
Jerry
k5qm@arrl.net
K5QM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2002, 05:53 AM   #7
MudLover

I'm thinking that's the problem. I've messed around with just about every wire in the braking system and no luck. I'm gonna take it to Midas some time this week to get the oil changed, brakes checked, and the exhaust system looked at because I don't know the abuse the PO put my littel Hercules through. Thanks for all the help guys and I'll let you know what the guys at Midas say.
Thanks Again,
Marc
Unread 12-16-2002, 09:44 PM   #8
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Mine did the same thing and I discovered that I just needed to bleed the brakes again. I had previously done some brake work but didn't bleed the whole system causing the light to stay on.

It is a warning light to let you know that the pressure is different between the front brakes, and the rear brakes. This sensor is on the proportioning valve. The same light also tells you that your parking brake is on.

You probably have a bad wheel cylinder, or just need to bleed your brakes.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.