Brake Light Flasher problem. Stumped! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-27-2011, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
boomvader
1984 CJ7 

Brake Light Flasher problem. Stumped!

Upon the completion of my re-assembly, all of my lights worked. However, I am now facing a weird issue with my rear left brake light and hazard flash on the same left rear light. All other lights work as they should.

This is only occurring on my driver's side tail light. I even replaced the entire light with a new one to no avail.

Left rear Signal light - works
Left rear Tail light - works
Left rear backup light - works
Left rear Brake light when no other lights are on - FAIL
Left rear Brake light when tail lights on - FAIL
Left rear Brake light when hazards on - FAIL

****Left rear Brake light when left signal light is on - WORKS!***

Any ideas on why this is not working in the 3 scenarios above?

-boom

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-27-2011, 11:12 PM
BagusJeep
1981 CJ7 

Is the brake light flashing? Is it the same brightness as the other brake light? Do you have the flasher on AND standing on the brake pedal to get it to light up?

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #3 of 10 Old 07-27-2011, 11:54 PM
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Sounds like your turn signal switch.

1997 ZJ 5.2 Orvis, Baby!
1953 Willys M100 trailer Tagalong

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 07-28-2011, 12:19 AM
BagusJeep
1981 CJ7 

It is an interesting one as the power feed to the Tail lamp is fed from a white wire that goes through the harness to the back left light then across to the back right light. The earthing is from the lamp fitting to the tub locally.

The back right light is working so the power should be there in the wire.

The earthing must be working as the other lights in the cluster work. (I use the word "must" with some caution)

That only leaves the fitting itself and a tracking across the surface of a 30 year old rusted lamp holder.

Have you measured the voltage at the contacts in the lamp holder relative to the earth? Have you checked for corrosion?

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #5 of 10 Old 07-28-2011, 02:58 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

OK, the signal light and the brake light are on the same filament in the bulb so if the bulb flashes with the turn signal then the bulb and circuit is good. And as Bagus jeep states, the ground "must' be working.

So I agree with Mickey D and the problem must be in the turn signal switch. Try getting some spray cleaner and spray around inside with it to see if you can dislodge some dirt. But maybe the springs that hold the contacts in place might of rusted away.

post #6 of 10 Old 07-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Sorry, it was late last night and I was too tired to put more than a couple words.

Power for the brake lights comes up from the brake light switch. It goes to your turn signal switch where it is either routed direct to the bulb (no turn) or it is routed through the turn signal flasher to the bulb (turn).

As John said above, the parking lights use one filament in the bulb. The turn and brake use the other. So if you are getting signal to the bulb through the turn signal, your wiring in the arse end of the Jeep is fine.

It is 100% your turn signal switch isn't connecting the brake light signal to the rear harness when not in a turn status.

1997 ZJ 5.2 Orvis, Baby!

post #7 of 10 Old 07-28-2011, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
boomvader
1984 CJ7 

Thanks, guys! I will investigate the TSS today and report back. Much appreciated.

-boom

post #8 of 10 Old 07-28-2011, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
boomvader
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
OK, the signal light and the brake light are on the same filament in the bulb so if the bulb flashes with the turn signal then the bulb and circuit is good. And as Bagus jeep states, the ground "must' be working.

So I agree with Mickey D and the problem must be in the turn signal switch. Try getting some spray cleaner and spray around inside with it to see if you can dislodge some dirt. But maybe the springs that hold the contacts in place might of rusted away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
Sorry, it was late last night and I was too tired to put more than a couple words.

Power for the brake lights comes up from the brake light switch. It goes to your turn signal switch where it is either routed direct to the bulb (no turn) or it is routed through the turn signal flasher to the bulb (turn).

As John said above, the parking lights use one filament in the bulb. The turn and brake use the other. So if you are getting signal to the bulb through the turn signal, your wiring in the arse end of the Jeep is fine.

It is 100% your turn signal switch isn't connecting the brake light signal to the rear harness when not in a turn status.
Problem solved. It was indeed the turn signal switch. Replaced it with an OEM from the dealer. I was surprised to find they had it in stock. Works great!

You guys really helped me out. I learned something. I didn't realize the TSS could impact the brake lights. Thanks VERY much!!

-boom

post #9 of 10 Old 07-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Good to hear, and thanks for the feedback on a solution.

1997 ZJ 5.2 Orvis, Baby!

post #10 of 10 Old 07-29-2011, 01:44 PM
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvader View Post
Problem solved. It was indeed the turn signal switch. Replaced it with an OEM from the dealer. I was surprised to find they had it in stock. Works great!

You guys really helped me out. I learned something. I didn't realize the TSS could impact the brake lights. Thanks VERY much!!
Yup, it is a sneaky one, the turn signal has to interrupt the brake light so all the power runs through the switch, same for the emergency flashers.

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos:
(10 new albums added Sept 16/10)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.