Brake light on dash on after new ss brake lines - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Brake light on dash on after new ss brake lines

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-04-2002, 09:29 AM   #1
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Brake light on dash on after new ss brake lines

I installed new SS braided brake lines in front and my dash brake light stays on. I disconnected the wires to the proportioning valve and it's off now. Yes, I bled the front brakes after installing the new lines. I didn't re-blead the rear

Will the smaller diameter brake lines cause the brake light to stay on all the time? or do I need to check for air in the lines or a leaky wheel cylinder in the rear. I guess it could be coincidental that a wheel cylinder started leaking right after installing new front brake lines

Unread 09-04-2002, 12:43 PM   #2
4wheeler4CJ

The proportioning valve piston inside may be stuck to where it moved when your line leaked originally. It may not have returned to the original position once you replaced the line, so that may be why the light stays on now.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2002, 02:09 PM   #3
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I kind of figured it was something like that. So, how do I fix it????
Unread 09-04-2002, 10:49 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

It's a two person process. What you need to do is to have one person crack a bleeder on the rear. Then with the key(brake light) on, you SLOWLY depress the brake pedal. Keep applying pressure until you feel a "pop" in the brake pedal. The light should go out. Stop and have your friend close the bleeder. Slowly ease the pedal back up. If after applying heavy pressure to the pedal the light doesn"t pop, close the rear bleeder, release the pedal and repeat the process with the front. NOTE, some times the pedal will "pop" and the shuttle valve will go the other way(the light will flash off, then be on again). If this happens, go to the opposite bleeder(front or rear) and repeat the process. Don't forget to recheck your fluid level.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2002, 12:20 AM   #5
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, thanks. I'll try that and let you know how it works. Thanks again.
Unread 09-10-2002, 06:39 PM   #6
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I finally got a helper to assist in bleeding my brakes again and the light is out. I started on the rr wheel and as soon as I bled it one time, the light went out.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.