Brake Issues CJ5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Brake Issues CJ5

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
yardornament
1980 CJ5 

Brake Issues CJ5

Everything brake related on my 1980 CJ5 has been replaced. I have gone through several bottles of brake fluid and used several methods bleeding them but in the end its always the same outcome no pressure. It only takes several pumps on the brakes to get good pressure but I know that it shouldnt be like that. Could anyone tell me what the problem may be.

Overhauled front and rear brakes, replaced proportioning valve, all new brake lines, new master cylinder. I just dont know what to do to fix them

yardornament is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

It's possible to position the front brake calipers so that the bleeder screws are not located at the very top position. Check that. Remember that air will find it's way to the top. If the bleeder screw is not positioned there, you can pump forever and you will not bleed all the air out.

Also, did you bench bleed the master cylinder?
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
yardornament
1980 CJ5 

I didn't personally put the master cylinder on so it probably wasn't done correctly. I will have to pull that off and give it a shot.
Unread 09-04-2012, 03:10 AM   #4
RWise
1981 CJ5 

If the rear drum brakes are to far out of adjustment (to much gap between shoes and drum) you can get the same, have to pump up the brakes.
RWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 04:46 AM   #5
Hawk4097
1986 CJ7 

Also Master Cylinders have been known to bad even new ones. If you cant bench bleed it out and fix it. I would return the cylinder and get a new one.
Hawk4097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 05:51 AM   #6
adman02
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
It's possible to position the front brake calipers so that the bleeder screws are not located at the very top position.
This.

I've read several posts on this forum where people have reinstalled their front calipers on the wrong sides (passenger caliper on driver's side and vice versa). It's a common mistake that makes bleeding impossible.
adman02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
Manhattan
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adman02 View Post
This.

I've read several posts on this forum where people have reinstalled their front calipers on the wrong sides (passenger caliper on driver's side and vice versa). It's a common mistake that makes bleeding impossible.
How can you tell if they're on the wrong side? Just crawled under... bleed valve is facing the back, at the top of the caliper, an inch or so higher than the brake line. Wouldn't it be upside down if switch L vs. R?

Valve clearly at the top. That spray is left over from the 1st of 3 bleeds.
Unread 09-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
yardornament
1980 CJ5 

Calipers were definitely on the wrong sides. Swapped them up and brakes work like a charm now. Thanks for everyone's advice.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.